Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First DK Cabinet Build  (Read 40908 times)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: First DK Cabinet Build
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2017, 06:26:02 pm »
If you're building a Donkey Kong cabinet, just stick with one set of controls. Your next cabinet can be the two-player head-to-head fighting cabinet.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Wyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 09:22:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2017, 06:34:46 pm »
That red DK is beautiful. 

And so are Chances purple arm hairs....I haven't seen purple body hair like that since the women's march. ;)

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2017, 10:30:20 pm
    • Michael Whitney - Designer. Maker. Builder.
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2017, 06:41:58 pm »
If you're building a Donkey Kong cabinet, just stick with one set of controls. Your next cabinet can be the two-player head-to-head fighting cabinet.

Good call - makes sense. How about buttons? DK3 looks to have P1/P2, Jump and the Controller. Will this be sufficient for the games I listed?

I set up the Xin Mo with 6 buttons + Select + P1 (same for the second side) but found most buttons I didn't use, i.e. 'Bump Left / Right' etc. Donkey Kong Country used a few more if I recall correctly....

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2017, 06:43:57 pm »
That red DK is beautiful. 

And so are Chances purple arm hairs....I haven't seen purple body hair like that since the women's march. ;)

^^^ :lol

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2017, 10:28:45 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:47:47 am by ChanceKJ »

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2017, 06:14:27 am »

For one reason or another...

...you know me way too well. :D

I'm still looking for the one where you painted your feet and sandals black...

This is perfect advice.  You'll get the bug and want to build another cab.  No need to make your first build look like junk just because 'it works'.

zinger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2019, 05:09:31 pm
  • There's a Donkey Kong Kill Screen coming up!
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2017, 01:37:21 pm »
Keep up the great work!  :cheers: Also, lots of good feedback in this thread.

One minor mistake that I made in my build was to glue the control panel block to the side panels. On the original DK cabinets you can remove the entire control panel with speaker panel, etc. from the cabinet. For me this would have been useful since most of the electronics would be in this area and I could just swap in a different set with different design, etc.

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2017, 01:51:16 pm »
Keep up the great work!  :cheers: Also, lots of good feedback in this thread.

One minor mistake that I made in my build was to glue the control panel block to the side panels. On the original DK cabinets you can remove the entire control panel with speaker panel, etc. from the cabinet. For me this would have been useful since most of the electronics would be in this area and I could just swap in a different set with different design, etc.

Thanks Zinger.

If I'm reading you correctly, then I glued in those side blocks as well (with the 3 screws)...  :banghead: ah well... I'll still be able to lift out the control panel itself.

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2017, 01:56:54 pm »

This is perfect advice.  You'll get the bug and want to build another cab.  No need to make your first build look like junk just because 'it works'.

Thanks JDB - It makes sense. As a new builder, I kind of wanted it all. Realistically, I'm willing to bet the games I play will be a dozen or less.

In your experience, would this be sufficient then:

1) P1
2) P2
3) Add credit (hidden)
4) Jump (or fire etc.)
5) Select (hidden)?

I have 2 holes drilled beneath my speaker grill on the horizontal filler strip that could accommodate an 'add credit' and 'select' button to keep the main control panel simple like the DK layout.

zinger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2019, 05:09:31 pm
  • There's a Donkey Kong Kill Screen coming up!
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2017, 01:59:51 pm »
If I'm reading you correctly, then I glued in those side blocks as well (with the 3 screws)...  :banghead: ah well... I'll still be able to lift out the control panel itself.
I meant to mention this the other day but forgot. :-[

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2017, 02:07:11 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:47:32 am by ChanceKJ »

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2017, 02:07:23 pm »
UPDATE -

1) Finished painting the inside of the cabinet last night (all but the second side). I'm painting and gluing this on the bench and will just 'cap' off the build with the opposite side and paint that inner section last.

We're heading out to Texas for a few days, so the build will be on hold.

2) I've been spinning over what to do as far as paint on the kick-plate and speaker grill. That orange looks good, but I really don't want gloss... the HVLP is a good option, but Chance's comment about vinyl got me thinking.

I found a nice matte vehicle wrap product from a CDN distributor in Montreal that I'm going to try out. The cost for a 2' by 5' piece (more than enough for these two front areas) was very reasonable, and the product looks to be top-notch and easy to apply with heat. Worst-case, I'm out $20 USD if I screw it up, but I think this is going to work well.

http://www.vvividhq.com/

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2017, 02:09:47 pm »
Those side blocks are suposed to be permanently attached. The control panel rests on top of them and the latches to secure the control panel screw in to them.

Good to know. I think glue was overkill as the screws would have kept it in place, but she's locked down now. RE the clasps that hold the CP down, in an arcade scenario, I can see how this would be necessary; for the home, would it be enough to throw some cabinet magnets or something similar in there just to keep it in place?

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2017, 02:10:07 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:47:22 am by ChanceKJ »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2017, 02:11:50 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:47:11 am by ChanceKJ »

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2017, 02:38:52 pm »
Even in a home scenario those clamps are worth it. They keep the panel from sliding around. To unlock them you reach in from the coin door. Simple. easy.   Why over complicate a good design thats lasted the test of time?

Good call. Did you pick yours up at a BigBox store or are they arcade-specific?

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2017, 06:29:39 pm »
Oh, I didn't realize you were just painting the speaker panel and coin door panel.  It's such a small area I'd just rattle can it and call it a day.  ;D

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2017, 07:15:55 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:46:59 am by ChanceKJ »

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2017, 10:52:44 pm »
Mine all came with my Nintendo cabs. its how Nintendo chose to hold down the panel.  You can buy them in lots of places, its a common bit of hardware.

Here are the more nintendo style ones:
Latch: http://mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=CPLATCH
Catch: http://mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=CPSTRIKESN
Bolts: http://mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=CPNINBOLTSET

And here are some other vendors selling similar parts:
http://gameroomdesigns.ca/shop/accessories/control-panel-locking-hooks-1-pair/
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=204
http://retroactivearcade.ca/locking-hook-for-arcades-1/

Man, you're a wealth of info. Thanks a ton!

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2017, 06:09:56 am »

Thanks JDB - It makes sense. As a new builder, I kind of wanted it all. Realistically, I'm willing to bet the games I play will be a dozen or less.

In your experience, would this be sufficient then:

1) P1
2) P2
3) Add credit (hidden)
4) Jump (or fire etc.)
5) Select (hidden)?

I have 2 holes drilled beneath my speaker grill on the horizontal filler strip that could accommodate an 'add credit' and 'select' button to keep the main control panel simple like the DK layout.

The easiest way to figure out what you need whitney is to know what games you want, see what it takes to control those games then you will know what buttons you will need.  I made the mistake of throwing a 2 player 6,4 button set up on my weecade and when my buddy and I would play a 2 player game my right hand kept bumping into his left hand.  Like Yots said earlier its easier to make another cab then to fight for years on end bumping into the guy next to you because you want to fit it all in...

I would try to get the correct latch for your control panel also.  I have found that since they are longer they are easier to reach when going in through the coin door.  When you unlatch the CP its going to be blind so you need the ease of popping these bad boys with one hand. 

I don't know if I mentioned this before but your bolts can be found almost anywhere for half the price of what you can find online.  Take the size you need from Mikes Arcade and go to into specialty bolt shop and they should be able to find it for you cheaper....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 06:11:43 am by jdbailey1206 »

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2017, 07:09:55 pm »
Back to the build after 4 days in Texas and we had a great time in San Antonio. I picked up a few parts while we were away and decided to get the clasps for the CP and some odds/ends from RetroActive Arcade. Thanks for the tips JD - we've got a good fastener shop here where I can get the bolts.

Maybe this is common, but I've be putting off the speaker grill for fear of messing it up. I took my time following Johnrt's tutorial. If you're reading this, thanks John - stacking the strips worked like a charm! This part of the build seems like a rite of passage!

After finishing the speaker grill, I gave the shop a good clean and primed all remaining parts aside from the back panel. My goal this week is to button up the other side, install the cross-members (speaker grill, CP, shelves etc.), get her upright, and then send off my artwork after double checking my measurements.

Here's some shots of the speaker grill:

So far so good - I put a stop block on either side...

On the downhill:

Quick sand:

Pretty happy I didn't mess this up!

Ready for primer:

QUESTION: I've seen a few MAME builds where guys are lining their light-box with aluminum tape or foil - has anyone done this? Does it make that big of a difference? White paint?

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2017, 09:07:36 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:46:46 am by ChanceKJ »

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2017, 12:24:08 am »
Good job.

Thankfully ive never had to cut out a grill. I bet that was pretty satisfying.

I wouldnt bother with the foil tape in the marque light area. The originals never had it, its a cost and time expense that wont make a difference to you. I did i for my MAME cab because i was selectively lighting the marquee and wanted to controll the light. You just need to go into Home Depot and get a light bar and screw it in. (Some newer cabinetsfrom the 90's  like ones from Dynamo just had a pair of 60w light bulbs and a ---smurfy--- fixture).

Your best bet for a lot of little things like that is to reserch how people restore actual nintendo cabinets. It will save you a lot of wasted time trying to come up with solutions for things that have already been solved on the cheap, which also stood the test of time.

Thanks Chance. I'm not sure what was more satisfying -- the finished grill or simply not have to do this more than once! I've had the plunge router for about 8 years and have never had a need to use it... it really just came down to double checking everything, making sure all was secure and going slow. I took a lunch break at the 5th slot just to come at it fresh ;).

What you say makes sense regarding the light. I'm sure Nintendo knew what they were doing ;). Looking forward to getting her wired up!

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2017, 06:00:59 pm »
Hey guys - looking for some feedback on this CP. Not so much the artwork but the layout. Here's where I'm at:

1) Most games we'll play are 1-button games, but we also want to play DK Country and a few games that may require other buttons. It was suggested not to make this cab an all-in-one build and save the double joysticks etc. for another cab. This will be my plan, but for this one, a few extra buttons are needed.

As such, I've followed bplail's build and added 3 white buttons. This will give me 4 controller buttons in total, which I think is more than enough.

2) I added the instruction card from the PDF at Mike's. His corners weren't rounded but many samples I've seen on this forum have rounded corners so I changed the background... not 100% on alignment of this on the CP graphic itself - I think I'm close. Does it matter if the card is printed as part of the graphic? Added separately?

3) DK logo - I moved this to be centered with the joystick - this just looked off to me as it was pushed over toward the 1/2 player buttons.

4) Reduced the size of the 'JUMP' font as the button was overlapping the text on the original CP template I downloaded (now significantly modified).

5) Shrunk Mario, DK and Peach to allow for the additional buttons.

6) What do you think about the placement of the 3 buttons?

Thanks -

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:33:17 pm by mwhitney »

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:23:43 pm
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2017, 06:51:03 am »
Does it matter if the card is printed as part of the graphic? Added separately?

With people's hand sweat and friction, you want to try to avoid seperate stickers or else they will peel after a while.

Reduced the size of the 'JUMP' font as the button was overlapping the text on the original CP template I downloaded (now significantly modified).

Compared to the original cpo, your 'player' font is too big, and 'jump' too small.

What do you think about the placement of the 3 buttons?
The sloped buttons don't really look right on the original symmetric control panel.

Apart from those things, the design looks really nice! I've done a quick paint mockup on how I would change the fonts and add symmetry:

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2017, 12:13:01 pm »
Thanks Mourix -

I'll adjust the fonts as you recommend. With the buttons, I aligned the left and middle to fall inline with the P1/P2 and then brought the right button up into the space which looked to occupy things in a balanced way. That was my thinking ;).

I see what you mean with your layout... the right-most button looks a little too close to the icons - maybe I should reduce those icons a bit. I'll play with it and re-post.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment and play with the design. Your feedback is well-received!

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2017, 02:01:27 pm »
Progress Update:

On impulse, I ordered the matte orange vinyl last week, thinking that the gloss rattle can orange would be too glossy. Since I had the paint, and was impatient, I decided to hit the speaker grill and coinbox surround. Worst-case, I cover the paint when the vinyl comes as the manuf. recommends a glossy / flawless finish for best results.

The vinyl actually showed up as I was painting and I was amazed at how close the vinyl was to the Rustoleum Orange I bought. Anyway, the paint looks great and I'm going to roll with it. After the primer coat, I wet-sanded and the grill now has 2 nice coats.

EPIC failure on the coin-door. Same primer, same procedure, but when I painted the orange top-coat, the paint started separating like a crackle effect. I was tempted to start scraping it off or ragging it while wet but thought better of it and let it dry. Yesterday morning, I proceeded to sand it and this just made it worse as the paint gummed up and left debris throughout.

In hindsight (and if I do another build), I would paint the panels all separately. Masking my inner sidewall (only installed one side) and worrying about a nice clean edge on the return was a bit stressful. At least w/ one side off, I could spray and fix my mess without worry.

Long story short, I took paint thinner and a scraper to the orange and brought it all back down to the black primer, degreased, re-primed, sanded, primed, sanded and then added 2 nice coats following the 'within one hour' recommendation.

Why the crackle? The only thing I can think of is residue from my tack cloth (wax) or debris in my sanding sponge.

The front looks great now and I've got her on her side with the second side resting on top and ready to be glued / screwed and to add the shelves etc.

Here's the florescent light installed:

And the speaker grill, painted:

Here's a shot of the cab on it's side, surround painted and top panel ready to be affixed:

For interest, here is the orange vinyl (2' x 5' roll). I may just re-sell it on eBay or save it for another build:

That's it - off for the Easter weekend but should be back on Monday with a few hours to get her together and upright (hopefully!).

Happy Easter gents.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:11:29 pm by mwhitney »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2017, 03:20:07 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:46:35 am by ChanceKJ »

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2017, 10:33:11 pm »
Thanks brother. I'm happy with the off-the-shelf colour as well and think it will work well with the side art. Can't go wrong with black and 🍊!

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:23:43 pm
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2017, 12:56:27 pm »
I'm really liking your attention to detail. With this finish level I'm sure the cab will turn out awesome :applaud:

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2017, 05:34:51 pm »
Thank Mourix! So far so good on the build. If the artwork comes out like I hope and I can apply it, I think the cab will turn out great. I look forward to watching my young girls play some of the classics we all played. Last night I got her glued, clamped and upright! I'll post some photos tonight.

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2017, 12:50:25 am »
SHE'S STANDING!

Made some good progress the last two nights:

Painted the recesses between the speaker grill slots using a flat artist's brush - kind of felt like playing 'Operation':

Clamped up and installed the 'shelves' and light box:

Clamps came off today and dry fit my control panel - I couldn't resist adding the T-mold. This is ready to be drilled out but I want to get my artwork before I drill just to make sure everything is lined up. There's something comforting about working under the glow of the marquee ;).

For the speaker grill, I noticed some guys adding a screen but I didn't want to wait (or pay) for the authentic grill. I started scouring the house / office and was tempted to buy a perforated BBQ or baking sheet but then found this drawer from a knick-knack stand from Staples... this will do the trick:

Hacked up and hammered using a rubber mallet - didn't even need to paint this as it was factory powder-coated:

From the front:

Got the coin door installed as well:

Lastly - got 2 coats of primer on the side panels and the rear door. Rather than spray these, I'm going to just foam roll / sand to get the finish as smooth as possible. The sides will be completely covered w/ artwork, so I just need a smooth surface to work with.

Remaining tasks for the cabinet are to paint the sides / back, and cut out the holes for the top rear handles and recess for the power switch. From there, I'm tempted to bring her inside to do the wiring, monitor etc.

Starting to look like something...

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2017, 01:33:29 am »
Made some progress over the past 2 nights:

Speaker, buttons and clasps installed:

Control panel clamped down:

I wasn't sure if my printer could do 'posters' but had some success. Spent some time cutting each bit out and taping together with the help of my daughter and then stuck these in place to test the fit.

Control Panel, check.

Marquee - found some issues with bracket overlap and width being incorrect.... I cut some super thin particle board I had kicking around as a backing. Glad I printed these off!

Looks good from a few feet away ;):

Taped up the bezel as well - same issue with the width:

Close up of CP - I have about .25" on either side... looks about right, I think:

New Marquee with artwork adjusted and width set to match cab:

Much better. No overlap of logo and the artwork spans as it should:

Tomorrow I'll adjust the bezel artwork width and do another test print before sending off to the printer.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2017, 01:06:38 pm »
i think that marquee is gonna look great with the design.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2017, 10:05:00 pm »
COOL ARTWORK!!!!

This is shaping up to be my favorite build this year!

Keep up the awesome work, can't wait to see the side art.  :cheers:

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2017, 07:17:02 pm »
i think that marquee is gonna look great with the design.

Thanks Nivo!

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2017, 07:17:56 pm »
COOL ARTWORK!!!!

This is shaping up to be my favorite build this year!

Keep up the awesome work, can't wait to see the side art.  :cheers:

Thanks Wyo - I really appreciate your feedback.

mwhitney

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2017, 07:31:33 pm »
Well, I brought her inside yesterday. I kind of just got to a point where it was like 'she's done' - at least as far as the cab goes. I figured I'd bring her in out of harm's way where I can keep her clean, free of getting banged and where I can start working on the insides while I wait for the artwork to show up.

On that note, I emailed all the files off and am awaiting a reply to finalize things - pretty exciting.

Here's a shot of her where she'll be living - I re-did the bezel art to the right size... :

Got the back door and handles in:

And.. couldn't resist printing out the side art just to make sure my files were going to work. This was a tedious job of cutting / pasting and then the printer ran out of ink... anyway, I have enough to see how it will look and to make sure all will fit. I had about 2" overhang that I'll be able to trim / wrap the edge with. Color palate will be orange, dark brown, cream and white.

I have a few questions:

1) If I have all components plugged into a powerbar (that remains on) and then tapped into a switch, which will be on the backside of the cab, will everything switch on when flicking the main switch? May main point of inquiry is for the computer monitor.

2) I found these carriage bolts as a fastener shop, but they were the smallest size they had. The head looks a bit big (1/2") for the control panel - can someone confirm how big the carriage bolt head is on their CP fasteners?

3) I picked up a small amplifier from RetroActive Arcade. Has anyone used this? If so, is the wiring fairly simple, AND, where is this best mounted for simple / hidden access to the v/c knob? I'd love to see some photos of this installed.

http://retroactivearcade.ca/mini-hi-fi-audio-amplifier-12v-for-raspberry-pi-1/

Thanks guys!

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2017, 08:29:58 pm »
honestly I'd hate to see you use bolts at all like that. This design deserves to have no screw/bolt heads visible at all on the control panel. blind hole underside mounting for the stick. Attaching the panel could be done either with velcro/latch system/magnet system.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2017, 10:38:58 pm »
I vote carriage bolts. All the old games had them. I find them more authentic.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***