Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question with CRT emudriver  (Read 2719 times)

Trnzaddict

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 02:22:55 pm
Question with CRT emudriver
« on: March 22, 2017, 10:39:59 am »
Hi, so the spring is here and people start to put out their "garbage" on the curbside. Well I picked up 2 27 inch CRT TV's, one Sony Trinitron (No S-Video, composite only) and one JVC (S-Video). For free. Both in excellent working condition.

So anyway I have an old ATI 4650 card that has native S-Video out and I'm pretty sure is compatible with Calamity's CRT emu driver that's in an older emulation PC. Right now I can only get a 480i signal out of the s-video and the flickering sucks bad. Yet I hook up my Sega Master System via  rf and I get a beautiful stable image with scanlines. It's quite frustrating.

Can crt emudriver force my card to output 240p to the TV? I'd like to get RA going on this set up if possible. If not these TV's are no good to me.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:20:15 am
    • SCART Hunter
Re: Question with CRT emudriver
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:21:39 pm »
Can crt emudriver force my card to output 240p to the TV?

Nope. This has been discussed many times before: the TV outs on video cards always recook the the timings and force 480i. Nobody has discovered a way around it.

If you're any good with a solder iron and a set of side-cutters, you could try this. Otherwise I'd get back out there on the street and look for a TV with SCART or component inputs.
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 06:18:53 pm »
Can crt emudriver force my card to output 240p to the TV?

Nope. This has been discussed many times before: the TV outs on video cards always recook the the timings and force 480i. Nobody has discovered a way around it.

If you're any good with a solder iron and a set of side-cutters, you could try this. Otherwise I'd get back out there on the street and look for a TV with SCART or component inputs.

Thanks for the reply. I did search around google but I could not find a solid answer about this. I did read in a forum that someone was able to get 240p with CRU and an s-video but he might of been mistaken.
It seems that everyone uses SCART with CRT emudriver but that's not an option here for people in the states. Components Are only available on HD CRT's here and I heard that they do post processing which messes with the image and could cause Input lag which negates even using one.

Honestsly at this point I might just go with everdrive cartridges and leave emulation alone. Both these sets I've picked up have an excellent robust picture and I hate  to just throw them away.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 09:13:07 pm »
Hmm......looks like I'll be using these TV's after all.

240p firmware via composite is available for the raspberry pi to use with Retropie. Besides for a little bit of dot crawl, I have seen  YouTube vids and the image is rock solid.

I'll be using this though : www.retrotink.com

This kid built a hat for the pi that outputs 240p via either Component or S-Video. The S-Video looks great.
So there is  finally an emubox solution that can you can hook into a curbside TV and get a progressive picture. Granted it can't do all the custom resolutions for MAME but console wise from the Atari 2600 to PSX this is a great alternative.

Someone needs to make a small converter box like this now that's geared towards American CRT televisions that's compatible with PC. I guarantee they would make a lot of money.