Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So minecraft is a thing in my house now  (Read 1643 times)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
So minecraft is a thing in my house now
« on: March 21, 2017, 09:37:31 am »
I missed minecraft when it first popped.  I was aware of it but not interested.  Now my boys, aged 9 and 7, are taken with it.  They started by watching player videos and playing around with flash based analogs that are free online. 

This past weekend I caved and we are now neck deep in it.  Things I like: that we can all three sit around the computer and play together, discuss resources, plan builds, get scared at cave noises when we have a bunch of stuff to get back to the chest, learn some strategy, and just build our own worlds. 

There really isn't much I don't like about it.  We are each doing a single player adventure world.  It's cool to see how different all our priorities are, my 7 year old is all out the animal husbandry.  My 9 year old is all about the rare resources.  I'm all about the build.     We're still real basic, haven't cracked into spells or machines yet.  Tend to hover in the level 5 to 7 category before walking backward into lava or getting caught out by some damn skeleton.  Really need to make some arrows but flint is a ---smurfette--- to find for some reason lol.  The part I like best tho is how we can play together

Anybody else still doing this or just getting into it? They've been asking, already, for a lan setup so we can all play together.  I need to see if there is a minecraft for their DS's, that would work. 

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:54:45 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: So minecraft is a thing in my house now
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 09:45:47 am »
My son played a lot when he was younger. He preferred the PC version. He said the console versions were more limited. That could have changed by now.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 05:51:35 pm »
My daughter and I built many worlds together when she was younger. I miss those days. 
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

smass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 05:58:07 pm »
My 20 year old discovered it two years ago.  She plays it on her laptop while at college to relax from studying.  My 17 year old is more of a SIMs girl. 

Minecraft is one of the most valuable gaming franchises in the world for a reason :)

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »
I never got into it...but I lost 6 months or more to Terraria (2d more of a platform Minecraft)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:13:32 pm »
I'm 37 and I play it most weekends. Been playing for probably close to 7 years now, started back when it was still in beta testing. I pirated a hacked copy of it off the ---No torrents please - thanks!--- that didn't need server verification. I fell in love with it so much I bought it. (who says piracy doesn't work)

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:55:02 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 11:40:35 pm »
I never got too crazy with Minecraft but its always a fun game my friends and I can start up and mess around with for a bit.

Once I learn about the command blocks everything changed. It was a fun way to add some coding into the mix.

Also if anyone has the HTC Vive check out ViveCraft.
Minecraft in VR is awesome.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 12:00:20 am »
When I first got my Oculus Rift development kit, playing minecraft was probably one of the first things I did.

Like a fat kid at an all you can eat sundae bar, I went hambone and played for a few hours. All was good until I was done and IRL kicked in. I was so dizzy and sick for the rest of the day. Moving SUCKED. Then there was a car ride... and I thought I was going to die.

after that I limited to under an hour at a time.

awesome experience, don't get me wrong.