Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What is the best method to weed through my MAME collection?  (Read 3743 times)

Soundwave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2017, 05:13:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What is the best method to weed through my MAME collection?
« on: March 19, 2017, 03:01:48 pm »
I have a Mame .180 collection of around 55 gb's in size and some 65000 files. I was hoping to manually knit pick through, removing the 99% that I don't want. Apparently MAME doesn't let you select multiple files for removal and since I don't know what each .zip file goes to what game then I can't do it in File explorer either.
I tried to use Romlister and Lightspeed but either I don't know what I'm doing or it doesn't seperate the games I'm wanting to keep. Just seems to generate xml lists?

Whats the most efficient method for me to sort through games I want to keep? I just want something like a MAME interface where I can visually see the titles, snap shots and delete the ones I don't want.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: What is the best method to weed through my MAME collection?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 04:32:51 pm »
Clear mame pro allows you to delete source files (if i remember right) so you can sort out, delete all non working and then sift the rest manually.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:42:57 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 04:37:31 pm »
I have a Mame .180 collection of around 55 gb's in size and some 65000 files. I was hoping to manually knit pick through, removing the 99% that I don't want.
Which is easier -- subtracting 99% or adding 1%?

Whats the most efficient method for me to sort through games I want to keep? I just want something like a MAME interface where I can visually see the titles, snap shots and delete the ones I don't want.
The approach I use is a GUI version of MAME (MAMEUIFX), a full set of artwork from ProgettoSnaps, .DAT files (history.dat, mameinfo.dat, etc.), and a full ROMset in a "..\MAMEUIFX\roms\Archive\" subdirectory.

The GUI allows you to search for titles, look at pics of the cab/control panel/flyer/screenshots, read the description, check current emulation status (working, non-working, working with issues), find related games, etc.

To add a game:
- Use Windows File Explorer to copy the ROM filename (listed in the MAMEUIFX layout) from the "Archive" directory to the "roms" directory
- Right-click to "audit" the ROM and check if there are any missing drivers, CHDs, etc. that also need to be copied from "Archive".
- If the game isn't a keeper, just delete the related ROM/CHD/driver files from the "roms" directory -- there's still a copy in "Archive" if you change your mind later.

Once you build your desired games list, you can copy the ROM/CHD/driver files (minus the "Archive" directory) from the "roms" diectory to the "roms" directory of whichever version of MAME (mainline, groovymame, etc.) you want to use for your cab.

Scott

Soundwave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2017, 05:13:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 07:32:10 pm »
NVM, I just happen by luck to come across a great app that let me do it quickly called mame content manager plus. Just cutting out all the crap alone was 50% of the size.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 02:28:38 pm »
Also see the "No Filler" list linked in my signature.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:21:10 am »
The no filler list was where I started. And then I occasionally add something as I remember it or hear about it.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

Viviuss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2020, 08:17:12 pm
  • Uh, What???
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 07:43:13 am »
Give Romlister another try, I've used it with great success, I went from 41k roms to 2,500! Their is a guide on what it does and how to use it, Google 'Romlister tutorial' and click on the link in PDF. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:58:26 am by Viviuss »
(Insert clever phrase here...)