Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Cheap Handheld emulators that run MAME?  (Read 34945 times)

Tiger-Heli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
Re: Best Cheap Handheld emulators that run MAME?
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 08:19:07 am »
It somewhat depends on his age and what he/you want.

Personally, I remember playing some of the arcade games in the arcade and some of them (Tempest, for example), were never ported outside of MAME, but for a young boy, that isn't really an issue.

The options essentially come down to:

• For me, the Dingoo A320 or Gemeai A330, or GPX2Wiz, or GPX XD are great options, but either discontinued or a bit pricey for a young boy.
  • A hacked used PSP or an old smartphone is a very versatile option also, but will probably have Wi-Fi access.  Probably not a big issue for a 5-year old or a 17-year-old, but maybe not good for a 10-12 year old.
  • The O-player mentioned before is probably your least expensive option, but it will need AA Batteries and you can't add games to it (and the games it comes with don't seem great to me.
  • The AT Games SEGA Genesis or Atari 2600 Consoles have good controls, but you can only add games for those systems to them.
  • The Chinese PSP clones consoles essentially run and let you add NES or GBA/GBC games to them.  That is what I was considering originally.  There are lots of good classic games ported to the NES.  The problem with these for a young boy is that you can't remove any of the pre-loaded games.  I personally would be able to ignore these and just play the games I added, but ...

It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

norton386

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2017, 07:49:28 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 12:44:15 pm »
i think console can add game gb,gba,snes,sms... i think for games pokemon, mario, sonic...

I prefer have battery litio recharge and low price because he lost or broke it  ;)

Thanks and sorry

If search for price 100€ or more, i think phone and gamepad its the better option (xiaomi redmi 3 80€ and gamepad bluetooth 20€) better than GPd or other consoles

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 04:15:49 pm »
i think console can add game gb,gba,snes,sms... i think for games pokemon, mario, sonic...

I prefer have battery litio recharge and low price because he lost or broke it  ;)

Thanks and sorry

If search for price 100€ or more, i think phone and gamepad its the better option (xiaomi redmi 3 80€ and gamepad bluetooth 20€) better than GPd or other consoles

Other than the PSP, most of the consoles I was considering support NES, GBA, GBC, and probably Neo_Geo and CPS1 and CPS2 in .bin format.

Any Android phone should support a host of Android emulators (assuming it is rooted), or a used PSP with custom firmware would be less expensive if you don't want him to have a phone yet.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 05:06:48 pm »
For the love of god buy something. :whap

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 05:55:57 pm »
As NES games appear to be your priority, why not just buy one of the RS-8A units?

They're cheap enough that it wouldn't matter if it didn't live up to expectation.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2017, 07:13:25 am »
As NES games appear to be your priority, why not just buy one of the RS-8A units?

The issue is that I'm particular about the games I want.

I like Tetris, Tiger-Heli, Jackal, Tempest, Gyruss, Galaga, Galaxian, Gun.Smoke, etc.

I prefer the arcade versions of those, but most (except Tempest) were ported to the NES and those would play okay.

But the RS-8A has 250 (likely 30 repeated 8 times) built-in games http://www.banggood.com/Coolboy-RS-8A-260-In-1-Portable-Handheld-Game-Console-Built-In-Battery-Support-TV-out-Toy-Gift-p-1053684.html, no way to add games, and only has Galaga from my list.

Fortunately, @Jeremymtc was kind enough to offer me his Dingoo A320, and as he pointed out, I expect it to be about perfect for what I want, i.e. it is small - about the size of the NES Famicon controller, it has good quality buttons and controls, has great battery life, it plays MAME games and many of the games I like were ONLY ported to MAME, and the others I prefer the MAME ports.  Big thanks to Jeremymtc.

If that wasn't available, I most likely would have gone with something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-4-3-32Bit-10000-Games-Built-In-Portable-Handheld-Video-Game-Console-Player-/252774524582?var=&hash=item3ada8926a6:m:mZ3GfHANAoWGmCT9a5CYWJw - it should allow me to add 20-30 NES games that I like.  Drawbacks are possible bad D-pad controls, and possible battery life in storage issues.

My decision is over, but I'll follow the thread for a little bit in case anyone else is considering the same questions.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2017, 08:43:56 am »
All kidding aside, I am glad you found something. I hope it works out well for you.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2017, 09:35:55 am »
All kidding aside, I am glad you found something. I hope it works out well for you.

Thanks, I am VERY bad about over-analyzing things, or jumping the gun and then wishing I had thought about it more.

The Dingoo was an early favorite, they just are discontinued and can be hard to find now.

If I didn't go with the, the Chinese PSP clones would likely have worked fine for me, but the issue there is they typically don't have manufacturers or model numbers, so the same physical case might have different firmware and menus, etc.  (Not that I think it affects functionality - at least for how I would have used it).

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2017, 12:15:56 pm »
Out of curiosity, if the build were not an issue would a R-pi portable something have worked for you?

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2017, 08:58:07 am »
Out of curiosity, if the build were not an issue would a R-pi portable something have worked for you?
Probably ...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/pi-zero/
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-build-a-handheld-raspberry-pi-powered-game-cons-1663675758
http://www.instructables.com/id/20-Portable-Raspberry-Pi-Game-Console/

First off, I don't solder.  Secondly, I wanted something WITHOUT Wi-Fi capability and I'm not sure if the Pi has that or if it can be disabled.

If Wi-Fi wasn't an issue, it is definitely easier to get a PSP and add custom firmware.  And even at $5, it is probably still less expensive at $40 for a used PSP when you try to factor in building or hacking a case and adding buttons and screen and battery to the Pi.

kane916

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2023, 01:06:27 am
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2017, 11:22:53 pm »
Just wondering why you are so adamant against wifi? Don't need it? Then just don't use it or set it up.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2017, 12:01:23 am »
Just wondering why you are so adamant against wifi? Don't need it? Then just don't use it or set it up.
I was wondering about this as well.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2017, 11:25:41 am »
I used to worry about wifi. Now I wear a tinfoil hat and codpiece. Problem solved.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2017, 04:04:48 pm »
I have a dingoo... I think the A320. Can't recall. Still have box and charger and a bunch of emulators on it. It worked but I found the interface a bit janky. I hoped me and the kids could play it, but it was always a bit complicated in the interface for them. It was a quality unit but... eh. I still have the original handhelds so it's a bit lackluster except for the show value to me. Even my nerdy friends think it's too Nerdy so it just sits on a shelf.

Anyway. Good to see you around TH.  I also recently returned after a 10 year hiatus.

Have anything interesting to trade?
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2017, 04:07:03 pm »
By the way RPI can have wifi turned off. The older models didn't even include a wifi chip. I have a 2 that requires a wifi dongle even.

That said, you could probably make a RPI handheld, but with all the stuff it would cost as much as a dingoo.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2017, 11:31:10 am »

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2017, 11:39:15 am »
He said he doesn't like to solder. And with battery and shipping that is about $81.50. If I could get that with a 3 I might be interested.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2017, 04:55:08 pm »
Welcome back Mahuti.

He said he doesn't like to solder. And with battery and shipping that is about $81.50. If I could get that with a 3 I might be interested.

For me, the Dingoo was pretty much perfect.

For anyone else, the real PSP with CFW would probably be a great option.

As Mahuti said - when you figure in the battery and shipping and getting the case 3D printed, you are probably at $100.  It would probably work with a 3, but at this point you are almost getting to what a GP-Wiz or GCW Zero would cost.

I do like the look of it, if they could sell it for $60 or so shipped and assembled including the case and the battery.