Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gameroom Designs' 2p coin door  (Read 2211 times)

rootbeer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2018, 10:06:41 am
Gameroom Designs' 2p coin door
« on: March 26, 2017, 11:42:19 pm »
I'm thinking of grabbing a coin door from Gameroom Designs (http://gameroomdesigns.ca/shop/accessories/coin-door-with-mechs/) while they've got their moving sale on. The item page doesn't indicate the manufacturer, so there's not much info to go on. Do any of you have experience with this coin door? Looks like it's complete, other than the lock and keys. Any other things that should be taken into consideration? Are there similarly-priced/-styled coin doors that should be considered?

(I'm in Canada, so Gameroom being Canadian is advantageous for shipping cost of a heavy item like this.)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: Gameroom Designs' 2p coin door
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 12:18:33 am »
Clone of the top half of the industry standard over/under door, the only thing to worry about is the fact that you can probably get a used one way cheaper.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

rootbeer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 12:37:55 am »
Were there ever 'real' coin doors that looked like this, or does this jump out as "only the top half" to the discerning eye?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:56:18 am »
You can buy ones that look like that pretty much anywhere. There's nothing wrong with it, if that's what you're asking. Well, other than that it's kind of small. It would be perfect on a cocktail or Cabaret, but I'd go bigger for a full-size upright.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:42:07 pm »
Were there ever 'real' coin doors that looked like this, or does this jump out as "only the top half" to the discerning eye?

You usually saw 2 doors with that style on American market arcade games, however some stuff indeed would use just the single door, usually smaller stuff, some cocktails, dart machines, etc. I can't think of any particular example I can point at off hand to show you, but I have seen it plenty. Also, many of the repro cab builders these days are using just that door and they look fine.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 12:56:12 pm »
Midway and Williams used single doors. They didn't look like this though. The Williams used shiny pinball doors. I have an old Satans Hollow with a single Midway door... all black but a lot more square than this.

In any case I don't see anything wrong with it. Especially if you are not trying to keep your maintenance guy out of your coin box.

That said, I've got a bunch of coin doors used over the years that needed nothing more than new bulbs and a quick paint job for next to nothing. Heck I even have 2 extra Williams doors that I got for less than the cost of that one door shipped.

Not much to the coin doors. I don't pay much for them.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 01:50:54 pm »
A quick trot down to my basement revealed that Sega Turbo cabaret cabinets use that door and not the full over/under, while Sega STV Titan cabinets do the opposite and only have the under.

rootbeer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 10:38:27 pm »
Thanks for all the info, guys. Some browsing through eBay revealed that shipping to the Great White North is going to run $40-100 for a heavy item like this. Looks like refurbishing one myself probably wouldn't end up saving much.

I'm going to mock this coin door up on the SketchUp cabinet plans I'm working on. If it looks decent I'll go for it. If not I'll keep hunting. I don't actually need the coin door for a while anyway.

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 10:10:01 am »
Everything is included with our coin doors - two coin mechs, and I also include the barrel lock and key with them at no cost. I checked the coin door, and it doesn't show a manufacturer stamp or label anywhere. (Sorry!) I've reached out to my suppliers, and can update if they're able to provide more information.

If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Thanks.

Rick

(And special thanks to Haruman, who pointed me to the thread!) :)

rootbeer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 10:27:03 am »
Thanks for the info, Rick. Good to know that the lock is included. What size is the door, roughly? (That's the main reason I wondered about the manufacturer -- to get size info.)

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 10:37:39 am »
Thanks for the info, Rick. Good to know that the lock is included. What size is the door, roughly? (That's the main reason I wondered about the manufacturer -- to get size info.)

The website says 12x6. Without even ever having touched the thing I can promise it will be the same size that every other one that looks just like that. There would be no reason for a manufacturer to make a slightly differently sized door, particularly for something like this where all the patents would be long expired.

rootbeer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 10:43:22 am »
Ah, I forgot the site listed that size. I'd figured it was incorrect data since the item picture's proportions didn't seem to be 2:1. I found a pic of a similar Suzo Happ that said it was 8" x 11". I'm assuming Gameroom's door is roughly that size.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:01:41 am by rootbeer »

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 12:07:31 pm »
Ah, I forgot the site listed that size. I'd figured it was incorrect data since the item picture's proportions didn't seem to be 2:1. I found a pic of a similar Suzo Happ that said it was 8" x 11". I'm assuming Gameroom's door is roughly that size.

The coin door should be a common size. The size is actually listed as such on site, for packing and shipping purposes. (The API automagically determines shipping cost by size.) If you need it, I can confirm the outer dimensions as well as the dimensions required for the cut-out.

rootbeer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 12:29:12 pm »
It's no big deal. I used the Suzo Happ dimensions to model a coin door in SketchUp, and used the pic from your website as a texture. It matched well enough to use as a mockup. I think this coin door will work for me. Thanks.