Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nvidia graphic cards  (Read 1594 times)

xinyingho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2017, 03:37:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Nvidia graphic cards
« on: March 16, 2017, 07:25:09 pm »
Hi there,

I got 3 CRTs quite some time ago, 2 PAL TV sets (so I need a DVI to SCART adaptor) and a Sony PVM monitor (here I need a DVI to BNC adaptor). I mainly used them to play with real consoles but, now, I'm trying to output emulators rendering to my CRTs. I've been told that GroovyMAME is one of the best solution to do it but it seems like it can only work with CRTs only if the computer is equipped with ATI/AMD graphic cards. Why can't it be done with Nvidia graphic cards?

I have a computer with a Intel i7-4790K 4 GHz, 16 GB of RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 under Windows 10 64-bit.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Nvidia graphic cards
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:43:40 pm »
Nvidia makes drivers for Nvidia graphics cards. AMD makes them for AMD cards. The two are not interchangeable, though obviously the end result is to produce a fully-functioning display adapter.

Calamity figured out a way to hack the AMD drivers to allow low resolutions, and has implemented it several times for different AMD drivers/cards.

No one has ever looked at the Nvidia drivers, and there's no hack for them.

xinyingho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2017, 03:37:59 am
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 04:37:27 am »
lol the answer is quite simple. It's a shame nobody looked at those Nvidia drivers. But well, it's probably not a simple task to perform, otherwise somebody would have done it by now.

pakoman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:02:35 am
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 07:10:56 pm »
Actually there is some people that looked at the Nvidia drivers, just they are not as easy to hack to achieve the same results as with AMD/ATI.

However there are a few ways to custom resolutions with Nvidia, not as versatile as with ATI, though.