Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Do the Mame "Playable games" list exist anymore? Been out of the loop 4 a bit.  (Read 1965 times)

dgrams2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 06:00:04 pm
Back in the day when I messed around with earlier versions of Mame, there was always a text file that showed which games were playable and which games were broken in certain versions of the emu.

Is that still a thing? 
I have not kept up with things in the last few years and am trying to hunt around on Mame's site or google around for 'working games' in the few latest versions of mame and am not finding any lists.

Is this a thing anymore?

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
I don't think it's been a thing for about 18 years, meaning it was only a thing for about 2 years of MAME's life..   While it was hand maintained in the very early days, it was later just generated based on the flags in MAME so didn't actually provide any unique information anyway.

MAME still has flags for working / not working machines, the internal UI can filter by them, although an external frontend like QMC2 can do a better job.

Note, it's not a games list these days, it's a machine list, there's a lot more than just games supported, again a good external frontend will be able to sort by given criteria such as if the machine has coin slots etc. tho.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Translation:  Mame is a hot mess and the devs don't seem to care.  It's on my list... as soon as I'm done with Breath of the Wild, I'll start to work on a third party solution.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
Not every working game, but that's not a bad thing in my opinion: No Filler Gamelist

There are also some list generator tools like:http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149708.0.html

Last time I pared a list down using other tools (cira .146) IIRC, I ended up with around 8,000 playable and around 2,800 after clones and oddball controls were removed.
The No Filler list is around 630.

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
Translation:  Mame is a hot mess and the devs don't seem to care.  It's on my list... as soon as I'm done with Breath of the Wild, I'll start to work on a third party solution.

Translation: MAME is not what I want it to be and I'm going to try my very best to undermine the hard work being done by the developers and act in a destructive manner because I don't give a monkeys about anything outside my circle of interest or the good that MAME is doing these days for preservation as a whole.

Seriously, we get it, you don't like what MAME has become, stop being so bleeding aggressive about it, it's doing a FAR better job than it ever did before and we're seeing new and surprising interest every week, people coming forward with things they really thought nobody cared about anymore, knowing that there is a place where their knowledge and material they contribute will be valued.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:40:50 am by Haze »