Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question about specific dual monitor setup with CRT Emu 2.0  (Read 4322 times)

lordoxide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2017, 11:53:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Question about specific dual monitor setup with CRT Emu 2.0
« on: February 15, 2017, 03:32:42 pm »
Team,

I am new to the mame cabinet world,I ran mame on a media pc along time ago, but nothing major. I am setting up a dual monitor system, with a WG 27" CRT for horizontal gaming, and a 4k freesync IPS for vertical gaming. I just wanted to see what would and would not work.

Since I want to use CRT Emu for the WG, I need to use a supported ATI card, and since I want Freesync I also need a supported ATI card, but windows will only allow one driver, so I assume I will use the CRT Emu beta 2 driver for both.

My first question is, are the CRT emu drivers built for a version of catalyst with Freesync capabilities? 
2nd: Can I infact use it for both a HD 6450 and a R9 380 in the same machine
3rd: Would it be better just to get a single R9 380 and run both monitors. This would required a dvi-vga adapter on the R9 380, will CRT emu work fine over the adapter, and only on one display port?
4th: Not related to CRT emu, but is a R9 380 enough power for HLSL on a 4k display?

Thanks,
Tom

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
Re: Question about specific dual monitor setup with CRT Emu 2.0
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 10:32:27 am »
For those that are following along, or wanting to accomplish the same thing. Using a HD 6450 and a R9 380 poses an unexpected problem, the 6450 is a non-GCN card, and the R9 380 is a GCN card, each of which require a specific CRT emu driver. This made installation tricky, after installing the CRT emu 16.2.1 non-gcn driver, I was able to fully get the 6450 working even though my card was identified as a 7xxx series, but once that driver was installed, the monitor attached to the R9 380 went black, I could still see a mouse but that was all. So after some tinkering I found a working combination, first I installed the non-gcn driver, then after that I installed the gcn driver and both cards worked. As it sits right now, this is where I am at. There is a problem with this though, I cannot get the ATI settings to open which causes a problem, this will not allow me to actually enable FreeSync on the R9.

So tonight I am going to do a clean windows 10 install again, and see if I follow this exact path (not the 100 steps I took on the way) if I can access the controls, if so then I have a working configuration. If not, then my plan is to return the 6450, and for a few dollars more grab a R7 240, which should leave me with 2 cards that are both gcn and can use the same CRT emu driver. I will keep this post updated.

On a side note, it turns out the acrade monitor I was purchasing was not a Wells Gardner, it was actually a Beston Imperial (kortek 2914), I am really happy with the purchase but is does have the "purple discoloration" and slight haziness in the top left corner, I see what I can do with that later.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:36:18 am by lordoxide »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:07:37 pm »
Hi lordoxide,

Thanks for posting about your advances. The thing I picked the exact version (16.2.1) where the GCN/non-GCN split happened. This means the kernel driver binary (.sys) is the exact same file for both packages, so in theory it will work for either GCN or non-GCN cards. However, the GCN package contains some extra files that are not included in the non-GCN package, supposedly required by the newer cards. Besides, the .inf files are designed to only be installed on the GPUs the package is meant to.

Now, with regards to the ATI setup options, if you mean the control panel, you won't find it anywhere because it's not installed with the Emudriver package. If you want that too, you'll need to download the original whole package from AMD's site, and find a creative solution to get the whole suite installed while keeping the Emudriver display driver.

(Purple discoloration will get fixed by degaussing)
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:44:42 pm »
Calamity,

Nice to talk to you! So here are my test plans for tonight, while I wait for the new video card to get delivered.

Test 1:
I am going to test a fresh windows install without the 6450,
install the actual AMD drivers for the R9, and restart
install CRT emu GCN drivers restart

Hopefully this will leave me with a single R9 running with CRT Emu and AMD settings

Test 2
I am going to test a fresh windows install without the 6450,
install the actual AMD drivers for the R9, and shutdown
Remove R9 install 6450, install CRT emu non-GCN drivers, shutdown
Reinstall R9, install CRT emu GCN drivers

Will see if this leaves me in a state with 2 videos, both CRT Emu drivers, both working and a working ATI settings control panel.

If neither of these work, the I need to find a way to get the settings panel in creatively like you said, but that would rapidly get my out of my element. The other test I'll do when the freesync monitor gets here, if FreeSync auto enables itself when connected to a compatible monitor, I may not need the control panel at all.

Thanks,
Tom

pakoman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 08:54:30 am
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 01:54:09 pm »
A R9 380 should be more than enough for HLSL filters.

Why don't you just use one single R9 card for both screens? I'm using a CRT 15khz and a LCD with a single 5650 at the same time and works fine.

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 02:14:08 pm »
Pakoman,

I would love to, I was under the assumption (and could be incorrect), that the outputs on the R9 are all digital, and converting a DVI-D to Analog VGA requires an active adapter and if you can get it to work is subject to loss from the conversion.

Otherwise I have not been able to find a FreeSync capable card (i think R7 or greater only), which has DisplayPort 1.2 (required for FreeSync) and VGA/D-SUB out.

Thanks,
Tom
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:16:00 pm by lordoxide »

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:43:26 pm »
So I stopped and picked up an R5 to test with, and then realized when I got home that it was a non-GCN card, and in trying to look I couldn't easily find a GCN card with a VGA out. So I decided to try with these, and I think at the end of the day I got them working, here are the steps I took:

Fresh install of Windows 10
Waited for windows to finish installing the drivers for both cards, rebooted
Installed CRT emu 16.2 non-GCN on the R5, rebooted
Installed CRT emu 16.2 GCN on the R9, rebooted
Installed AMD official 16.2 package, deselected all but "Raedon Settings" App, rebooted

At this point have CRT emu on both cards and a working Raedon settings. I followed the instructions on using 'vmmaker', after installing the modes, and generating the mame.ini, I copied mame.ini to horizont.ini, and changed "screen" from auto to \\.\DISPLAY7 (the display with the arcade monitor attached). At this point we are 90% functional, the CRT looks great, and any horizontal game automatically uses that monitor.

Now for the other monitor, it works perfect with the generated mame.ini, if I leave the monitor in horizontal mode as well, but if I set "orientation" to vertical, or if I use windows to set my monitor to portrait (or both), I just get a black screen on vertical games.

I think this just might be my lack in mame/vmmaker configuration skills, anyone have any insight?

Thanks,
Tom

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 07:23:02 am »
\\.\DISPLAY7 (the display with the arcade monitor attached)
I believe each time the display is reset in the current windows session, it will add a number to DISPLAYx
So:
DISPLAY7
DISPLAY8
etc etc
As in this pic i got up to DISPLAY19
http://puu.sh/u8pm3/ec00428250.jpg

When you rebooot windows it will go back to DISPLAY1 ? or 0

So this is the wrong thing to set it to..
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:25:23 am by Sledge »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 07:35:46 am »
I copied mame.ini to horizont.ini

Never do that.

Only add the specific options to horizont(or whatever).ini that you want to override from mame.ini. If you add everything, GM won't be able to modify the required options for proper rotation, etc., because that .ini will take priority over GM's own auto settings.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 08:41:00 pm »
Ok gotcha, let me give that a try and see if it fixes it.

Just an update though, the 2nd monitor (IPS 4k w/FreeSync) and using the setup from above, I was able to enable game mode and Freesync on the monitor, so aside from getting the config right, I am in full working order, ill eventually update my original post just incase anyone else is trying to do this.

The next hurdle, HLSL on the LCD!

Thanks all...

Tom

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:07:00 pm »
I'd like to see a log of GM running on your system. Not sure how it will behave with a Free-Sync monitor. GM bases everything on v-sync while G-Sync Free-Sync are supposed to be used without v-sync.
Steps to create a log:

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 06:21:54 pm »
As soon as I get home, I'll drop all 3 configs and a output from a game on each monitor.

Thanks,
Tom

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 10:07:03 pm »
Calamity,

Attached are my mame, vertical and horizont ini files, as well as the logs for a game running on each monitor. I have not yet done any validation for FreeSync aside from the fact that it is enabled in the Radeon settings, and I have not started on trying to configure HLSL on the LCD yet either.

Let me know if you see anything I should change off the bat, or I'd be more than willing to run some experiments.

Thanks,
Tom

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 05:04:09 am »
Thanks for the logs.

You should setup your vertical.ini file with "monitor lcd" so the settings for your CRT are overrided.

But I'm also seeing another issue with the vertical Free-sync setup. For some reason the ADL library is not being initiallized. Would you mind running VMMaker and selecting \\.\DISPLAY1 as target display? No need to create any mode or anything, just look at the log in the console, and see if it's being recognized as CRT Emudriver.
Steps to create a log:

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 07:52:55 pm »
Calamity,

Ran VMMaker (screenshot attached) CRT driver is listed for both cards. I added "monitor lcd" and a generic set of HLSL settings to vertical.ini.

Here are a few weird bugs so far (or maybe they are expected)

1.) After adding the kt2914 presets from the thread you linked, now my Betson monitor display's windows in 2560x600 resolution, i am not sure if that is meant to happen, but I am not able to change it from "Display Properties" it is grayed out. There are no issues with gaming, just the desktop is very horizontally wide, with all the icons scrunched.

2.) Even though I have a R5 installed, VMMaker lists it as a 6450, again no issue, just something I wanted to point out, it appears to work

3.) I may not be an expert enough to see it, but I see no difference whats-so-ever in my LCD with or without HLSL enabled. Now that might just be an issue with Donkey Kong (the only vertical game I have right now) but I was expecting to be able to tell the difference.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 03:40:34 pm »
Thanks lordoxide,

I'm seeing an issue now. GM/VMMaker are not detecting your GPU properly, due to the new pci ids not being included in their source (although the ability to use them is already present). I need to fix this as soon as possible.
Steps to create a log:

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 09:39:23 pm »
Calamity,

Diid you get a chance to update the driver yet? I am only seeing beta 9 on your forum. Also just wanted to check one more time, after the last time I ran the install modes, my Beston is now displaying in windows at 2560x600 and I can't change it, is that the expected behavior?

Thanks,
Tom

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 01:31:22 pm »
my Beston is now displaying in windows at 2560x600 and I can't change it, is that the expected behavior?

Obviously not.

I'll have updated packages in a day or two.
Steps to create a log:

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 01:06:51 pm »
Calamity,

I noticed the update go out, I'll load it up tonight and let you know if there are any issues.

Thanks,

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 03:54:19 am »
Calamity,

Everything looks good to me, the resolution in windows is fixed. If you want to validate I have attached my mame.ini and 2 horizontal (betson arcade monitor) and 1 vertical (HLSL) logs.

To install the drivers, removed the R5 driver, then installed over the R9 driver to be safe. Then rebooted and reinstalled the R5 driver. Now both video cards are detected correctly, and the previous install of AMD/Radeon settings still functions.

Thanks,
Tom

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 05:55:37 am »
Hi lordoxide, thanks for testing.

Notice you need the new GM build (Switchres 0.016c) in order to get your R9 card properly detected. Your vertical log still shows it detected as "ATI legacy".
Steps to create a log:

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 01:45:20 pm »
Calamity,

I assumed you mean't switchres 17c, so I upgraded mame and groovymame to 0183.

I noticed that while windows and the CRT emu driver installer both list the R5 as a R5, vmmaker and groovymame still list it as a 6450, see the attached image.

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 02:19:17 pm »
Calamity,

As I am reviewing the logs, I wonder if I am doing a few things wrong:

1.) Vertical Game dkong, I now have full HLSL working and it looks amazing. Since this is a LCD and set to portrait mode in windows, is my config correct? I am not sure if I should expect switchres to see all resolutions as locked and disable itself.

2.) For gtfore06 I have the dipswitch set to low resolution (I'm trying to fix an audio problem, not echos but the sounds is almost playing in fast forward), but I am still not sure why switchres detects the resolution for gtfore06 as 100x100

3.) As for tmnt its perfect by my opinion, but I am still a little confused on what the 2560 super resolutions are for? I see that switchres checks each of them in the log, but just chooses 640x480, maybe with other rom resolutions it will be different.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 01:26:44 pm »
Hi lordoxide,

I'm seeing (yet) another issue now in your LCD log, it's an actual bug in GM that's exposed by the ultra-high resolution you're using it with (never tested anything above 2560x1600).

I'll work on a fix for 0.184.
Steps to create a log:

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 02:56:49 pm »
Calamity,

Let me know what I can do to help!

Thanks,
Tom