Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question regarding function buttons  (Read 825 times)

rbbauer00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2017, 12:30:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Question regarding function buttons
« on: March 14, 2017, 11:39:12 am »
I'm repurposing a Konami 4 player cab into a hyperspin.  It will have all the console games plus MAME on it, but it will be mainly used for those games that work on an arcade panel.  I'm going for a 4 player setup with players 1&4 having 4 buttons and 8 way joysticks and players 2&3 having 8 buttons and Ultrastick 360's.  If i can fit it in, I'll add a trackball and spinner, but I realize it's getting kinda tight without rebuilding the CPO box (something I'm entirely capable of but want to keep original cabinet as much as possible).

What I cant decide on and haven't found previous discussion about is which of the "Function Buttons" to add and which to have assigned to a "shifted" button.

I want the interface to be as intuitive as possible for someone who doesn't already know how to use hyperspin, mame, etc.
Gonna try to use the coin return buttons as coin buttons.

I want to use save states and hyperpause, plus an escape/shutdown, enter, etc.

My question is what "function button" layouts are recomended.  Trying to get a balance between functionality and user-friendliness.

rackoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 02:29:36 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
Re: Question regarding function buttons
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 12:05:03 am »
I got a hyperspin set up going on and I have     Pause, enter, escape, volume up, volume down  :applaud:
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.