Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question for Ultrastik 360 users  (Read 1395 times)

Soxbrother

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2017, 02:02:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Question for Ultrastik 360 users
« on: March 13, 2017, 01:40:20 pm »
Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first Joystick and was thinking about buying the Ultimarc Ultrastik 360.
I was looking at this joystick because it works through USB and doesn't need an i-PAC to work.
I have an i-PAC for my pinball controller, but now I'm going to build an Bartop Cabinet or Arcade Controller.

You can connect up to 8 buttons to the Ultrastik, but I've heard from Andy Warne that the buttons can't be mapped as keys.

So my question regarding this :

Inside HyperSpin you use keys like Enter and Escape and inside MAME you use TAB and Enter.
How can I get the buttons of the Ultrastik 360 to perform these actions ?

Does it involve installing another program or is it simple some settings that can be done inside HyperSpin and MAME ?
If yes which program must I use or where can these buttons be mapped ?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Soxbrother

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:17:30 am
  • retro maniac
Re: Question for Ultrastik 360 users
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:07:55 am »
Yes, in MAME You can map Esc or Enter to U360 buttons just like any other stick. No program is needed.

But there might be problem with assigning buttons used with shift key (last button on U360 pressed with any other button). In this case You may need to manually assign those keys in cfg file.

Since I don't use hyperspin I cannot say how this program will work but but in 99% I'm sure it can be done as well.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:10:00 am by haynor666 »

Soxbrother

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:49:04 am »
Yes, in MAME You can map Esc or Enter to U360 buttons just like any other stick. No program is needed.

But there might be problem with assigning buttons used with shift key (last button on U360 pressed with any other button). In this case You may need to manually assign those keys in cfg file.

Since I don't use hyperspin I cannot say how this program will work but but in 99% I'm sure it can be done as well.

Thanks for confirming this.
I did a little searching and found a video for joy2key and how to set it up with Hyperspin.
But didn't find anything relating to Mame and using a button for Tab.

SlyBlueFox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 12:11:50 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:48:10 pm »

Thanks for confirming this.
I did a little searching and found a video for joy2key and how to set it up with Hyperspin.
But didn't find anything relating to Mame and using a button for Tab.

joy2key works well with HyperSpin & RocketLauncher. Just follow the guide you found & you should be alright (I think I used the one over at gameroomsolutions).

In MAME you would remap all the buttons to your U360 buttons - example: reassign P1 Button 1 from "CTRL" to "Joy 1 Button 1" inside of MAME (Joy # depends on what your PC sees the U360 as). You most likely would want the MAME menu to be a shifted key & like haynor666 said, not sure how MAME recognizes those when reassigning. You would just have to change it in the default cfg file if it doesn't map correctly - example: find the MAME menu button line and change it to "Joy 1 Button 9" (won't be exactly like that but you get the idea; "Button 9" is when you press button 8 & button 1 together).

Just a suggestion, if you go with a 6 button layout, I would use button 8 as a coin or start button that way all shifted buttons require you to press one of the those buttons instead of a possible game play button first.

Soxbrother

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 03:27:01 pm »
joy2key works well with HyperSpin & RocketLauncher. Just follow the guide you found & you should be alright (I think I used the one over at gameroomsolutions).

In MAME you would remap all the buttons to your U360 buttons - example: reassign P1 Button 1 from "CTRL" to "Joy 1 Button 1" inside of MAME (Joy # depends on what your PC sees the U360 as). You most likely would want the MAME menu to be a shifted key & like haynor666 said, not sure how MAME recognizes those when reassigning. You would just have to change it in the default cfg file if it doesn't map correctly - example: find the MAME menu button line and change it to "Joy 1 Button 9" (won't be exactly like that but you get the idea; "Button 9" is when you press button 8 & button 1 together).

Just a suggestion, if you go with a 6 button layout, I would use button 8 as a coin or start button that way all shifted buttons require you to press one of the those buttons instead of a possible game play button first.

Ok, thanks for the information