Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Starter (learning project) bartop cabinet  (Read 2408 times)

J_K_M_A_N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:07:42 pm
Starter (learning project) bartop cabinet
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:44:08 pm »
Well, I have finally made something after being on this site since 2002. I made a bartop cabinet from scratch. I had to buy a bunch of tools (thanks for letting me know about harbor freight) and I do not have a lot of space to work since we live in a small town-home with no basement. I was able to get it together though and it is not too bad for a first try (IMO). I learned a lot of stuff and I already want to make a new one. I will post what pictures I have. I didn't take a ton of pictures mostly because it was quite a hack job. Especially when compared to some of the things you guys have made. The talent here is outstanding. I wish I had more space and someone to teach me to be that good. I do enjoy it. I took woods class in high school and that was one of the only classes I was decent at. Anyway, I don't think I will be doing much else to this one other than maybe some new plexiglass for the monitor. The piece I had was really old and scratched up. I have had it so long, I have no idea where it came from. All I remember is that I got it for my arcade cabinet. :)

Here are some pictures. Thanks for looking. Any feed back would be welcome. Especially things that could be done better. A list of some of those things I have already noticed are:

Round the corners
Keep the control panel inside the side walls and do not use two pieces of wood together
   (I did that because I have a Ms Pac Man Galaga joystick that is normally used on a metal panel. I did not have a router at the time. I now do)
More angle on the monitor for less glare
I will probably make the next one horizontal instead of vertical
Paint the wood WAY better so you do not see the grain
Hide all of the screws - they look pretty bad

I used a Raspberry PI and only put games on that I like and that are 1 or 2 player with one control panel. I have about 100 games or so. The monitor is an old 19" LCD that is pretty heavy. I bought a cheap encoder from Amazon but ended up using the IPac from my other control panel. I wanted one more button for the speed up. That is about all I can think of. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Thanks for looking.

J_K_M_A_N
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:52:16 pm by J_K_M_A_N »

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
Re: Starter (learning project) bartop cabinet
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:48:14 pm »
More pics

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:49:10 pm »
More...Painted bezel and volume control

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:49:55 pm »
Last few

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:51:27 pm »
Had to get the Donkey Kong scores in there. :)

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 04:20:01 am »
Nice first effort I like it. Congrats

jimmyfloyd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2020, 12:30:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:57:38 am »
Great to see a Beginner/First attempt post.

I myself have not attempted one yet, but would like to. Watching the Large scale builds are great, and make me think "I could do that" but this build is excellent to show you have to start somewhere.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 11:28:11 am »
yep start with a bartop and learn the concept, if you make a mistake its not as costly as a full size build.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 10:34:52 am »
Great to see a Beginner/First attempt post.

I myself have not attempted one yet, but would like to. Watching the Large scale builds are great, and make me think "I could do that" but this build is excellent to show you have to start somewhere.

Thanks. I have to admit, I thought about not posting it but it is good to start with something and go from there. Hopefully people will see this and give it a shot. I definitely learned a lot on this one and will be making another. Hopefully much better. :)

J_K_M_A_N