Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Button Led Wiring question  (Read 245 times)

takanuva588

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
Button Led Wiring question
« on: March 13, 2017, 04:26:19 pm »
Noobish question but just trying to be sure I have my leds wired correctly. I have 8 IL-lumination 5vdc leds from Paradise Arcade wired in series with each other going from the +5v 15 amp terminal on the switching power supply to ground. Is this wired up right? Pic of how it looks http://i.imgur.com/dfS2wZB.png

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Back from the dead.
Re: Button Led Wiring question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:28:42 pm »
Do your LEDs have built-in resistors? If not you will need to add them between the LED And the power.

A quote from groovygamegear on the subject:

LEDís are like goldfish. They donít know when to stop consuming and will ďpopĒ if you feed them too much.  For this reason, you must install a resistor in series with the LED to limit the current to an amount that will make the LED bright and happy.

RESISTOR VALUE = (5v - LED VOLTAGE) / LED CURRENT RATING

With his leds the resistor would be: 5v-3.2v led =1.8 / .2 (20ma rating) =90 ohms. Since you won't find a 90ohm resistor... go up to 100 Ohms... if they are wired in parallel.

In your case: 8 leds x volts per led is how many volts you'll need to power them fully if they are wired in series. In which case you may not need resistors. But they may not go to their full brightness if underpowered.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:55:45 pm by mahuti »
Formerly known for the (apparently now defunct) arcadeartlibrary

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 04:36:24 pm »
Run them in parallel, not series. IL-Lumination LEDs have built in resistors. Ignore the post above.
%Bartop

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Back from the dead.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:04:46 pm »
Don't ignore my post. Just note that it's irrelevant for your current situation since Nephasth confirms your leds have resistors. My post may be useful to you in the future  :laugh2:
Formerly known for the (apparently now defunct) arcadeartlibrary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31