Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Kortek Multisync Monitor Out of Range  (Read 2998 times)

timous

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2017, 07:44:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Kortek Multisync Monitor Out of Range
« on: March 12, 2017, 08:55:01 pm »
My cab was built about 10 years ago and had it running great with the Kortek Multisync monitor (I had a first generation ArcadeVGA Card installed). Recently my computer went toes up and I had to get a new/used computer and get everything set up from scratch. All my knowledge (suspect at best) has left me after being absent from the mame game for so long.

The new computer has Windows 10 on it and I've got Mame/Daphne/Nestopia/Sega Fusion running great thru Maximus Arcade. I used my living television as a monitor while I did all my software set up. Once I got it all ready, I set the resolution in Windows to the 800x600 60hz and moved my box over to the Kortek. Once I plug in, I get an Out of Range error. I've fiddled with all the resolution settings offered within Windows 10 and all have failed to get up and running. The lowest setting (640x480 59hz) pulls up a picture for 2 seconds and then goes out of range again.

I can boot into safe mode on the Kortek and the monitor handles it fine. But when I choose 'enable low video mode' and reboot into Windows, it defaults back to something that the Kortek can't handle.

I'm at a loss at this point. Anyone experience this as well? Do I need to get a new ArcadeVGA 5000 to get the image to come up on the monitor?

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:08:42 pm
Re: Kortek Multisync Monitor Out of Range
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:17:38 pm »
bit of a guess but if you were running the old pc at 15khz then you would be using c406 for the signal in,your new pc is running at 31 to 38khz so you would need to move the connector to c404 or c405
like i said a guess but logical

timous

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:25:27 pm »
Shoot, this is where my suspect knowledge becomes an issue. I'm not sure how to even approach testing that or make that tweak. I took the cord and plugged it into my CPU (same as old computer) and just assumed that by changing the resolution within Windows, that I'd be able to get it up and running. So, please forgive the ignorance...

grantspain

• Online Online
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 07:54:19 pm »
the chassis has seperate connections for vga/svga and cga/ega signals-the dsub can be used for both i believe but it has to go to the correct header on the chassis

the manual is online and the connections are shown,thats of course if its a kortek 2914f

timous

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:11:52 pm »
Ah! Awesome, I'll give it a look. Hopefully I won't zap myself. I'll report back w findings. Thank you for the direction!

timous

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 07:33:44 pm »
I was able to get the monitor out tonight and to be completely honest, changing anything back there is beyond my expertise. I'm not really sure where to look even consulting the service manual. Advice on where to take both the monitor and computer? Local computer store maybe? I'm not proud, I don't mind enlisting help of pros. Unless I'm just completely missing the connections and it's a basic unplug here and plug there solution. I can take pictures of chassis if anyone cares to look...Just didn't want to annoy folks w ignorant noob behavior.

grantspain

• Online Online
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 08:46:07 am »
follow the vga cable to the chassis,take a photo of that area
you may notice the vga ground goes to a single header,if you look on the circuit board around that you will see all the connector for various configurations of various frequencies

timous

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 08:41:13 pm »
I took a couple of the requested photos. First is where the VGA cable attaches to the chassis. The second is what I believe to be the ground. Again, my knowledge is 'plug and play', so forgive me if I've pointed the camera in the wrong direction. I'm happy to expand or zoom in on any area that would help clarify what I'm working with. I appreciate the direction!!

grantspain

• Online Online
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 11:37:10 am »
that is wired correctly for vga,so a standard pc should boot on that just fine

when you connect a lcd to the pc and look at graphic card properties what resolution is it showing?

set it to 640x480 or 800x600 for the kortek and then try it

timous

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 12:21:22 pm »
I can get it to 800x600 and 640x480 on my lcd (large screen lcd television) and it displays those resolutions properly, but when I move my pc to the arcade monitor, it displays Out of Range for some crazy reason. I'm not sure if it changes resolutions automatically, but something is definitely shifting. When I boot into Safe Mode, the arcade monitor will display fine. I try the Low Res mode on the reboot, then it goes out of range again.

Maybe it's that I'm using a non-traditional monitor to do my set up? I've tried all the lowest res settings available in Windows 10 (believe it's 640x480 59hz) and still no luck when switching to arcade.

grantspain

• Online Online
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 08:03:03 am »
try setting the pc to 640 x 480 on the lcd tv and then disconnect the tv and then plug the kortek in without powering down the pc

timous

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 05:07:11 pm »
It's still out of range when I do that. Is it a Windows10 issue? Maybe I should do a roll back to WindowsXP?

grantspain

• Online Online
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 05:07:43 am »
no harm in doing that

timous

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 05:09:43 pm »
I bought a Windows 7 64 bit full install and now have my machine running that well along w Maximus arcade. Same out of range problem persists. I enabled low res vga mode in windows 7. Launched Maximus arcade w LCD monitor I'm using for set up then hot swapped to the kortek multi sync. It came up beautifully for 2 full seconds then went out of range again. Ughhh.

timous

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 05:18:44 pm »
Also, I meant to mention that I plan on setting up groovy mame, so I bought a Radeon 4670 card that I'll install this week. Will this make a difference in getting my kortek to fire up properly?

timous

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 12:13:40 am »
Just wanted to report back... installed windows 7 64 bit and installed a Ati Radeon 4670 card and everything is working beautifully w groovymame. Never knew I was missing so much from my monitor. Going to sleep well tonight. Thank you for the help, grantspain. Minor configuring from here on out, but monitor is displaying a robust image! Cheers!