I just thought Iíd post up my cocktail cabinet build 10 years in the making! Well, thatís 8 years of sitting around, and 2 years actually working on it. I built the wood cabinet kit in 06í and it never really got off the ground until just a couple years ago. Better late than never.
The bulk of the work is done now but there are details I need to figure out before I can call it ďdoneĒ. Some things just take way too long to troubleshoot or to research every detail before making a purchase. Iím loviní the fruits of my labor and want to keep going to MAME nervana!
I designed this table to run MAME with the most authentic look. I think I did a decent job of that with the old school CRT and Arcade VGA card. I donít want to change any of that but I would like to add a few more emulators in Hyperspin like Turbo Grafx, and some early Nintendo. Not too much beyond that unless I could get away with playing N64 Wave Race.
NEED HELP WITH THESE PLEASE
1. BEST JOYSTICKS FOR THIRD SIDE
For the third player side (Landscape). I want to easily be able to switch the 2 joysticks from 4-way to 8-way. I have two Mag-Stik Plusís already but the mounting holes donít line up with my cutout. I could recut, but Iíd have to buy another piece of plexi and have it recut as well (Ugh). I also have an Ultrastik 360 with hard spring and a restrictor plate but I canít find the USB connector (or it didnt come with one) so Iíve never tried it out. Are there any other easily switchable joysticks out there I should consider?
2. BUTTONS FOR ESC/ENTER
Do I need to add some buttons on my cabinet for these two commands? I want to finally get rid of the keyboard and mouse completely and Iíve heard I will need these buttons since none of the regularly used buttons are mapped to Enter or Escape. Is there another way to do this?
3. BOOT WINDOWS 7 WITHOUT LOGO
Word on the street says use Windows 7 Boot Updater. Which is fine except I get the error ďThe winload path in the BCD references an EFI file which is currently not supportedĒ. The support page says if Iím set to boot using EFI instead of the class BIOS / PCAT, then I canít use the tool. Is there a workaround or a different tool?
4. WILL THIS 8-BALL WORK WITH MY TRACKBALL
I would like to replace the stock trackball with this clear 8-ball from this Playboy set
. It would light up from underneath and become the focal point of the whole table, sweet! Only thing is Iíd have to buy the whole set for the one ball and itís way too pricey. Would this ball even work for what Iím trying to do?
5. ADD VOLUME CONTROL ON OUTSIDE OF CABINET
I need to add volume on the outside. Can I do it using my existing amp and without cutting holes and sticking the amp dial through the cabinet?
- msi A68HI AC
- Dual Core 3.8 GZH
- 8GB RAM (4X2)
- WD 1TB HDD
- Arcade VGA 5000
- Windows 7 (64)
- From Scott at Arcadedepot back in the day. Great kit!
- I was now finally ready to work with the CRT after 10 years...but I canít buy a new CRT in 2015, doh.. I had to search around for a used one (authentic monitor, not a converted tv) but I found Daves Arcade in Georgia. Dave has a ton of CRTs in all kinds of conditions. I asked him for one of the best ones and to do a cap kit. Itís a Wells Gardner ďstyleĒ or Pro-sonic/vision...something like that. It takes a little time to get super bright, but I love the authentic picture quality. It was a bit pricey though at $450. I should have bought a new one in 06 for the same price!
- Two 4Ē shielded speakers powered by Lepai LP-2020A Amp
- Head-to-head : Ball-top joysticks from Twistedquarter. One 4-way and one 8-way and on each side.
- Third Side: Two 8-way WICOs I bought used on ebay in 06í. Iím just using these temporarily while I figure out the best joysticks for this side..
- Happ Controls 2-1/4" Trackball with USB & PS/2 interface
- 7 Outlet Smart Strip (Bits Limited). I had bought a 10 outlet version back in 06í that sat in a box for 10 years. It didnít work when I finally pulled it out, but I called the company and Scott sent me a brand new 7 outlet version for free. Didnít even charge me for shipping. That made my day.
- My own design leveraging some familiar symbols. My dad was manager of the Chicago Playboy Club in the early 1960s and I just always thought that was the coolest! I have the Playboy icon designed into a few other projects and artwork too.
- Pre-made cocktail cabinet top from Holland Computers
- LED strips on ebay for like $12. Just plugged it in and wrapped the strip around the monitor casing. The cabinet kit had balsa wood inserts on the head to head side so I just replaced those inserts with frosted plexiglass from TAP Plastics so the light would show through. Instant techno party!
- Williams Pinball style. It wasnít a perfect fit but it was simple enough to work around. The lighted coin slots are not very bright. Barely visible even in dark. I know blue is not as bright as red but I feel like they should be brighter. Uses 5v bulb like any other.