Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Rampart and Trackball sensitivity?  (Read 2483 times)

djrobx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2017, 02:26:48 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MAME Rampart and Trackball sensitivity?
« on: March 11, 2017, 02:31:28 am »
I have a U-Hid set to quadrature on a Happ arcade trackball.  Most games play pretty well, but I have to pretty consistently adjust Mame's default trackball sensitivity up by a considerable amount.

The game that I've had the most trouble with is Rampart.   Even at the absolute max (255) sensitivity, the responsiveness is very sluggish and it's hard to place the wall pieces accurately.   But I can play other games like Arkanoid and Crystal Castles quite well.

I managed to make it work reasonably well by running a utility called "interaccel" that meddles with the mouse driver and inserts some acceleration curves.    I don't see anyone else needing to do this so I'm wondering if I'm missing something, or if people just don't play Rampart.    Would be nice if Mame had more configurability for analog inputs.

Flyer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2017, 04:56:04 pm
Re: MAME Rampart and Trackball sensitivity?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:01:45 pm »
I have a U track and observed this on some games like rampart.  I had to adjust graphics settings in mame *just* for those games (right click game in GUI and click properties) that had the lack of responsiveness. 

This is an SS of what a changed to make it play well.  In the end this came from googling the symptom and finding this as a fix someone else used years ago.  I don't know that all settings need to be like this but what is attached worked for me.

AnthonyPaulO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2021, 09:14:20 am
Re: MAME Rampart and Trackball sensitivity?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:20:12 am »
I have a 3-trackball (U Trak) setup for Rampart but I'm having issues : they are slooooooow.... I have to roll them hard and fast just to move them a couple of inches! The settings I see posted here are just one screen worth and I tried them with no success; are there other settings I'm missing? Is there anyone out there with a Rampart mame setup with trackballs that can confirm they have the same issue?