Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Thoughts on a Raspberry Pi 3 in a bartop Arcade Cabinet.  (Read 3976 times)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Thoughts on a Raspberry Pi 3 in a bartop Arcade Cabinet.
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:03:42 pm »
A little back story here.

It's been a long time coming, but I'm working on a Punch-Out themed bartop arcade cabinet for my man cave.
It will fit the theme of the room well. It will blend in nice with my Nintend-ROW.
Nintend-ROW = my row of Nintendo arcade cabinets (Mario Bros MAME, Popeye Pandora's Box 3, DK 60-in-1, and DK JR vertical MAME)

I had originally picked up a 2nd Pandora's box 3 for the bartop, but I've since moved onto the idea of a Pi.
I love the GUI on the Pi, I think it's slick and polished.
I like the console emulation and the MAME.

I have a few devices in the man cave that give me the retro gaming fix (an Ouya with a stacked selection of ROM sets,  a Retron5 with some US ROM sets and the various supported original controllers, an original XBOX that has been "altered" and has all the extras installed)

But despite this I like the idea of the Pi and the retro gaming in the arcade cabinet environment. I kow that console gaming on an arcade cabinet takes some flack. But I was toying with the idea of using the Pi (1 of 2 I own) in the bartop, wiring the arcade controls with a Zero Delay Encoder, and also pairing it with some USB versions of the various console gamepads.

I know there is no wright or wrong answer. I just wanted to seek some thoughts and opinions.
I get kinda wrapped up in all the coolness I see and sometimes just cant make up my mind.
Recently I saw some cool videos of RetroArch and now I'm all smitten with the idea of doing something with that.
It looks so cool.

Side note, even if the Pi and console gaming isn't really ideal on an arcade cabinet, I like the fact that the menu looks different from anything else I have. (if that makes sense)

So even if I did not pair the USB gamepads with the build, and really just used MAME I'd be ok with that. I have a 2nd Pi that I wanted to eventually do a Pi-tendo type build (or house in any console really).

Or can RetroArch be run off a Pi ?

So many ideas bouncing around here.

thanks

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
Re: Thoughts on a Raspberry Pi 3 in a bartop Arcade Cabinet.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:09:54 am »
RetroArch can run off a Pi. There's an entire Raspian distro called RetroPie that does exactly that and countless guides online about setting it up.

https://retropie.org.uk/

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:21:54 am »
I'm running RetroPie (so retroarch is included). I'm using attractmode as a fronted. I have it set up to handle arcade as well as console & handheld emulators AND ScummVM with the ability to use arcade or usb controllers (NES, Atari... planning on getting some intellivision controllers :) )

Even though I have a Nintendo, PSX, 2600, Genesis sitting a few feet away, I still have the system set up to handle consoles. Why not do it? It's cool! I've really been enjoying working with the theme system on Attractmode. Pretty robust programming language lets me do all kinds of overlays and animation.

Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

mike5im5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2021, 03:22:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:55:40 am »
Yeah absolutely go for it. I don't understand why the raspberry pi get slack for arcade/console emulation.

I've build about 5 machines of a pi now and find it great. The fact that there's a retropie build saves so much time which allows more to be spent on decor or attact mode menus. Sure it won't run PS2 stuff onwards or heavy 3D emulation. However, it runs all the retro stuff from my childhood fine which is all I care about.

I'll post a couple of my projects up on the board.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 08:06:22 pm »
When I read about the Pi and the fact that you just download an image I was blown away.
The time that saves is UNREAL!

My Mario Bros arcade cabinet is a MAME build with console emulation. And the set up was ridiculously involved.
All the controller configuration, settings, etc. I think a Pi is such an AMAZING way to go.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:41:53 pm »
The basic set up IS dead simple. Just add roms, use the scraper and go.

But if you wanna get fancier you have to really get in the weeds with linux.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 08:52:10 pm »
Yeah..... I prefer my front end to not look like a htpc setup from last decade. That's why the Pi stuff doesn't appeal to me.

(Yeah, I know, Attract-Mode, etc. But by his point, I have moved on.)
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 10:22:08 am »
For those of you putting a RetroPie setup in an arcade cabinet what button layout are you using that works for both consoles and MAME?

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 10:50:30 am »
For NES and ATARI it's simple. For the rest I'm using plug in controllers

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 10:55:03 am »
So for MAME how are you mapping buttons to the plug in controller?  E.g. coin, 1 start, 2 start, and exit, specifically