Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is this enough airflow for a cabinet?  (Read 3131 times)

knid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2018, 07:10:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Is this enough airflow for a cabinet?
« on: March 08, 2017, 02:06:41 pm »
Quick question.

I'm in the pre painting stages of my cabinet build up and realized that I didn't give much thought to heat build up. (Noob mistake).

In order to correct it I'm installing two vented arcade cabinet handles at the top of my cabinet and at least one (I currently have two that I'm not using) 140 mm fan in bottom rear panel. 

My question is whether the two handles and one 140 mm fan is sufficient for cooling or should I also cut and additional vent into the top rear of the cabinet  and also install the second 140 mm fan?

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
Re: Is this enough airflow for a cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 05:58:36 pm »
As heat naturally rises, it makes sense to vent the cabinet as you say. I have done so on all my builds. Where I do things differently is this: vent is at the lowest point possible. Fan(s) are at the highest reasonable point. You will feel a natural "draft" intake of air through the bottom vents once your fan is on and the cabinet is closed. One fan is usually sufficient at 140mm. If you feel the heat is still excessive or is in a warm room, then of course add your second.