Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ebay buyer rant. What would you do?  (Read 10611 times)

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:09:00 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
ebay buyer rant. What would you do?
« on: March 08, 2017, 03:08:43 am »
So I was offering up for sale an original Windows Vista COA and 1gb stick of ram.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162147510738

Buyer makes the purchase. I send it off, they have it within a couple of days. Shortly after I get a message wanting to know where to download the software. I wasn't near a computer (I was out of the house at the time) so I reply back via my phone that I wasn't sure, but to check Microsoft's website, and if it isn't available there then he might have to try finding it via a torrent. He messages me back stating something about an "implied warranty" and that I should have known where to acquire the software before I sold it to him. I replied back again with a link to download the software I found via Google and then a short statement stating that the software was never part of the deal, and even the auction page states (3x) that nothing, other than the COA and 1gb stick of RAM, was included. He just sent me another message saying he's going to "just go to ebay, or paypal" about it.

I think this guy is a few cards shy of a full deck. What should I do. I know regardless of what I say, eBay always sides with the buyer, but I refuse to give in so easily just because.

Here's his most recent reply to me.
you are forgetting that you admitted you did not know where to download the program, until I had already gone to another buyer and successfully downloaded Windows Vista with the information that seller gave me. If you would have initially provided that information we would have had a deal. As it now stands we do not have a deal and all your ranting that it was what you advertised is bunk. Lets to to ebay and ger this resolved.It is not about the money, it is about you not knowing how I could get it downloaded until I got it resolved by going to another buyer. .You should have reserached the source before the sale. As it happened you did not and by time you did I acted on your breach of warranty and voided the deal. Lets just go to ebay, or paypal.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:21:45 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: ebay buyer rant. What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 06:24:52 am »
it is probably best to just stop engaging him. He will get bored and nothing will come of it.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:40:18 am »
He has no come back so dont swet it.

The listing clearly says coa and ram only.
There is no mention of software thats his problem.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 07:53:39 am »
I hope both of you are right. I'm just sick of buyers taking advantage of eBay's buyer guarantee. It's just hard not to get pissed because it seems no matter what the seller does or say, they almost always side with the buyer. If they would take just a moment to read thru actual complaints, they'd see that a lot of times the buyer is in the wrong.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 10:12:25 am »
Best to just not argue with him - Just tell him the listing clearly stated that only the COA and Dimm were included and that is what he received and it also clearly says no returns since once received the product key is not able to be resold.

I'd also remove :

My feedback is very important to me. I always return positive feedback once received. If for any reason you feel you have not had a positive transaction, please contact me before leaving feedback. Check my feedback and bid with confidence!

As that is probably what led him to your listing when he ordered with the intention of doing this in the first place - Since you care about your feedback !

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 12:03:13 am »
Just tell him the listing clearly stated that only the COA and Dimm were included and that is what he received and it also clearly says no returns

I have, numerous times already. He keeps coming up with this so-called "implied warranty" he linked to on wikipedia. I'm telling you, the guy's elevator doesn't go to the top floor. When I get some time, I'll post up screenshots of all our correspondence because it's almost comical. I'm still waiting to see if he gets ebay or paypal involved. He usually goes 3 or 4 days between contacting me with his next rant.

And btw, to Mike A, I feel like I should continually respond because if he does finally file a complaint, I don't want him to be able to say I just ignored him.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 12:18:00 am »
$13, dude.  $13.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 12:21:56 am »
Was the COA shrink wrapped with the M$ hologram, or was it a sticker on a piece of paper?  If it was shrink wrapped OEM, then you are OK.  If it was a sticker attached to a piece of paper, you could have problems.  Either way, best that you keep good communication with the buyer, and if he wants a refund, then I would oblige him.  I remember a news story, where a guy sold a printer on craigslist for $40 and he got into a real problem with a lawsuit happy guy back east(ern European).

http://time.com/money/4359964/lawsuit-printer-craigslist/

When I see ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- like this, it makes me think twice before I sell anything online.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 02:56:45 am »
$13, dude.  $13.

And your point? If you mean I should just refund him because it's only $13, then no. Why should I be the one who gets shafted just because some imbecile doesn't take the time to read the description. He's already agreed he received everything he purchased (it's been 2+ weeks now since he actually received it) and the only thing he's mad about is something that was never agreed to be included in the first place.

Was the COA shrink wrapped with the M$ hologram, or was it a sticker on a piece of paper?  If it was shrink wrapped OEM, then you are OK.  If it was a sticker attached to a piece of paper, you could have problems.  Either way, best that you keep good communication with the buyer, and if he wants a refund, then I would oblige him.  I remember a news story, where a guy sold a printer on craigslist for $40 and he got into a real problem with a lawsuit happy guy back east(ern European).

http://time.com/money/4359964/lawsuit-printer-craigslist/

When I see ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- like this, it makes me think twice before I sell anything online.

eBay only requires that COA's be sold with a piece of PC hardware, hence the 1gb stick of RAM. Other than that, it was sold as-is with no warranties. He's told me he's gonna get eBay involved now for over a week, so I don't know if the guy is just fishing for a partial refund or what. 

Btw, interesting read. The real difference between what I sold and that, is that I didn't sell anything that was "broken". My buyer claims I should have known how/where to obtain the software when in fact the software was never part of the auction.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 04:21:13 am »
nothing is going to happen, dont worry about it

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 10:06:04 am »
And your point? If you mean I should just refund him because it's only $13, then no. Why should I be the one who gets shafted just because some imbecile doesn't take the time to read the description. He's already agreed he received everything he purchased (it's been 2+ weeks now since he actually received it) and the only thing he's mad about is something that was never agreed to be included in the first place.

My point was a gentle reminder that you are exerting a lot of mental energy over $13.  There is no sense continuing to argue with the buyer, and if he escalates it then make your case to E-bay/Paypal and get on with life. 

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 10:12:46 am »
I hope both of you are right. I'm just sick of buyers taking advantage of eBay's buyer guarantee. It's just hard not to get pissed because it seems no matter what the seller does or say, they almost always side with the buyer. If they would take just a moment to read thru actual complaints, they'd see that a lot of times the buyer is in the wrong.

Yup. I sold a smartphone a couple years back. No less than three times in the listing I mentioned, including once in bold, that it was a locked AT&T phone that would only work on AT&T.

It gets delivered and less than an hour later I get a message from the buyer complaining that it doesn't work on T-Mobile. And of course I was screwed because eBay seemingly automatically sides with the buyer.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 10:19:14 am »
Agreed about moving on.  Some buyers are gonna be ---punks---.  Just wait for the ebay inquiry and state your case and move on.  All of my auctions have a 15 day money back policy.  If a buyer is not happy I just have them ship it back to me at their expense.  Its a cost of doing business.  I think in 15 years of selling on ebay (a couple of hundred auctions) I have only had 2 folks give me a hard time. 

Is this guy a dick?  Probably.  Don't let it bother you though. :)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 05:39:18 pm »
With 300 plus views of this thread the time value wasted for everyone involved has far exceeded the $13 sale price.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

jimmer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 07:21:22 pm »
Why hasn't this thread been insta-deleted?

I want to read about arcade controls, go to ebay seller central if you want to ---smurfette--- about about ebay buyers.
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 08:18:01 pm »
Why hasn't this thread been insta-deleted?

I want to read about arcade controls, go to ebay seller central if you want to ---smurfette--- about about ebay buyers.
You must be new here.... ;-)
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 09:05:30 pm »
Is this where we start debating the morality of 60 in 1 boards?

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 10:16:49 pm »
it's a shame you engaged him in conversation at all....      your response should have always been "the auction was only for a COA and memory.  no software was offered in this auction".
if he left you negative feedback due to this, perhaps ebay would retract it if you explained to them that this person was leaving negative feedback solely due to him not receiving something which was never advertised/offered/implied in the first place.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 10:38:07 pm »

:troll:

mimic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 11:31:00 pm »
HELL NO! DON'T GIVE IN! This maniac will keep on screwing others, just because he imagined something. Fight tooth and nail with eBay and PayPal and that A-(_o_)! And I am NOT joking! I can't take that kind of people or both of those companies. It's not about $13. Bruise his ego, make the folks at eBay and PayPal earn their money!

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 12:46:47 am »
it's a shame you engaged him in conversation at all....      your response should have always been "the auction was only for a COA and memory.  no software was offered in this auction".
if he left you negative feedback due to this, perhaps ebay would retract it if you explained to them that this person was leaving negative feedback solely due to him not receiving something which was never advertised/offered/implied in the first place.

That's exactly what I keep telling him.. See, you get it, why doesn't he? Here is one of those times I told him that, then his response follows.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 01:11:51 am »
KEEP DIGGING

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 03:31:20 am »
That was one of the very first replies I sent him back on Feb. 24th. That's how long this guy has been threatening me to get eBay involved. If he hasn't done it by now, I'm thinking he never will.

Here's another one of his crazy messages to me. I like how he links to wikipedia like it has any standing on eBay. This was also back on Feb. 24th.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 05:35:54 am by SlammedNiss »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 05:08:42 am »
I don't think this subject has been discussed enough yet. We definitely need to research this issue further.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 05:33:37 am »
I don't think this subject has been discussed enough yet. We definitely need to research this issue further.

If you aren't interested in discussing further, you could, you know, not click on the subject link...

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:39:22 pm
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 06:15:21 am »

Or the legality of selling a COA with a piece of RAM....

BUT....for the lousy $13 bucks you can:

1. Have the person send back his COA and memory and refund him the $13

2. Refuse the refund. Stop replying. See where it goes.

AND...who gives a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about one bad review.   Seriously.   

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 07:01:49 am »

Or the legality of selling a COA with a piece of RAM....

BUT....for the lousy $13 bucks you can:

1. Have the person send back his COA and memory and refund him the $13

2. Refuse the refund. Stop replying. See where it goes.

AND...who gives a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about one bad review.   Seriously.

It's completely legal to sell used COA's on eBay. eBay's only requirement is that you sell it with a piece of original hardware.

I offered a refund on the 24th and again on the 28th. He never took me up on it. I assume from his last message to me that he's using the COA because he said he got a link to the software from another eBayer. I honestly think he's just fishing for a partial refund for his inconvenience of having to locate the install software himself.

By "bad review" I assume you mean feedback. Yea, I'm not concerned about that. At this time, he hasn't left feedback. Would only be my 2nd negative in about 18 years, and now they don't count after a year anyway. The rest of my feedback is stellar.

At this point, all I can do is wait to see what he does. If he does file a complaint, all I can do is hope eBay will actually take the time to read thru our messages and see things from my point of view.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:08:12 am by SlammedNiss »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 07:11:48 am »
Apparently some people have never encountered sarcasm or humor before.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 07:15:36 am »
Apparently some people have never encountered sarcasm or humor before.

Sarcasm is really hard to detect in text only. I've gotten in the habit of adding a </sarcasm> tag when I'm being sarcastic. If I offended you, please accept my apology.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 07:17:58 am »
Dude. This is pretend online world. You didn't offend me. If you started murdering babies or puppies I would get upset.

I was just making light of the fact that if any thread goes on long enough the 60 in 1 debate weasels its way in. Its kind of like Godwin's Law.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:21:44 am by Mike A »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 01:41:35 pm »
Dude. This is pretend online world. You didn't offend me. If you started murdering babies or puppies I would get upset.

I was just making light of the fact that if any thread goes on long enough the 60 in 1 debate weasels its way in. Its kind of like Godwin's Law.

Please just let it go.  You are not being funny.  I accidentally got roped in your trolling methods, please do not hijack this thread.  We were having a nice discussion, now it is being side tracked yet again.  If you want to continue with your trolling, please just find a mirror.  Thank you.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 01:43:43 pm »
Oh please. Stop being an arkh***. I do think it is funny that you cannot resist me. It is OK Ark. I don't swing that way, but I am flattered.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:46:01 pm by Mike A »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 02:11:03 pm »
Sorry to interrupt, but does anyone know where the bar is?

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 02:23:00 pm »
Tell him if he wants an install CD, then try eBay. Then promptly ignore him.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2017, 02:46:04 pm »
Nah, he needs to make good on that implied consent warranty.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2017, 02:49:07 pm »

Please just let it go.  You are not being funny.  I accidentally got roped in your trolling methods, please do not hijack this thread.  We were having a nice discussion, now it is being side tracked yet again.  If you want to continue with your trolling, please just find a mirror.  Thank you.

Is trolling a troll really trolling?  :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2017, 02:50:31 pm »
 :lol

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2017, 03:35:04 pm »
Tell him if he wants an install CD, then try eBay. Then promptly ignore him.

Silence is golden on this situation, especially if you offered a remedy.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2017, 03:57:07 pm »
If it were me I would address him like this "This is my last reply to you and I will let Ebay/Paypal mediate from here. It was stated 3 times in the listing what you would and would not receive. It is also YOUR responsibility as a buyer to read the auction carefully. There was no willful intent in this auction to misguide or distort any facts of said items."   Simply respond no further beyond something like this and just let Fleabay handle it. You've got stickers to print  :cheers:

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2017, 03:59:24 pm »
I don't know why I am here.....  :dunno
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.