Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ebay buyer rant. What would you do?  (Read 10631 times)

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
Re: ebay buyer rant. What would you do?
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2017, 04:01:23 pm »
I don't know why I am here.....  :dunno

eat burgers and play classic arcade games.

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:22:39 pm
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2017, 05:18:58 pm »
Is this where we start debating the morality of 60 in 1 boards?

Or the legality of selling a COA with a piece of RAM....

BUT....for the lousy $13 bucks you can:

1. Have the person send back his COA and memory and refund him the $13

2. Refuse the refund. Stop replying. See where it goes.

AND...who gives a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about one bad review.   Seriously.

It's completely legal to sell used COA's on eBay. eBay's only requirement is that you sell it with a piece of original hardware.

I offered a refund on the 24th and again on the 28th. He never took me up on it. I assume from his last message to me that he's using the COA because he said he got a link to the software from another eBayer. I honestly think he's just fishing for a partial refund for his inconvenience of having to locate the install software himself.

By "bad review" I assume you mean feedback. Yea, I'm not concerned about that. At this time, he hasn't left feedback. Would only be my 2nd negative in about 18 years, and now they don't count after a year anyway. The rest of my feedback is stellar.

At this point, all I can do is wait to see what he does. If he does file a complaint, all I can do is hope eBay will actually take the time to read thru our messages and see things from my point of view.

Thank you for the link as you proved the very point.  The specific language is, "OEM, bundled, or recovery software may be listed only if it is included along with the original hardware, such as the motherboard, hard drive, or computer sold with the OEM software."

A stick of memory does not constitute "the original hardware" whereas the motherboard, hard drive, or computer with the OEM software would.   

Same goes for your "bad review".   The average person understands that there are ---uvulas--- out there who are going to give a bad review.  Boo hoo.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2017, 05:36:42 pm »
If it were me I would address him like this "This is my last reply to you and I will let Ebay/Paypal mediate from here. It was stated 3 times in the listing what you would and would not receive. It is also YOUR responsibility as a buyer to read the auction carefully. There was no willful intent in this auction to misguide or distort any facts of said items."   Simply respond no further beyond something like this and just let Fleabay handle it. You've got stickers to print  :cheers:
I think this is the way to go.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2017, 05:37:16 pm »
I don't know why I am here.....  :dunno
Kenneth, what is the frequency?

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2017, 06:11:31 pm »
I cant wait till season two of this epic drama comes out.

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:11:30 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2017, 07:30:51 pm »
Thank you for the link as you proved the very point.  The specific language is, "OEM, bundled, or recovery software may be listed only if it is included along with the original hardware, such as the motherboard, hard drive, or computer sold with the OEM software."

A stick of memory does not constitute "the original hardware" whereas the motherboard, hard drive, or computer with the OEM software would.   

Same goes for your "bad review".   The average person understands that there are ---uvulas--- out there who are going to give a bad review.  Boo hoo.

Just because eBay doesn't name every specific computer component doesn't mean it's not allowed. If it wasn't allowed, eBay would have pulled the auction.  I've sold several various OEM COA's in the last year,  all with a single stick of RAM.

And what "bad review" are you talking about?

If it were me I would address him like this "This is my last reply to you and I will let Ebay/Paypal mediate from here. It was stated 3 times in the listing what you would and would not receive. It is also YOUR responsibility as a buyer to read the auction carefully. There was no willful intent in this auction to misguide or distort any facts of said items."   Simply respond no further beyond something like this and just let Fleabay handle it. You've got stickers to print  :cheers:

If/when he replied back I'll say just that. And yes, I do have stickers to print. Just got back from the shop where I spent all afternoon catching up on customer orders.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2017, 12:26:37 pm »
So anyone notice lately when you order something off ebay with FREE shipping it shows up postage due?

I've had to message the seller and say "WTF? - not accepting this"
Then if they respond they give me some lame excuse, blame the post office then end up refunding me the money.

How weird is that?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2017, 12:44:29 pm »
How many times has that actually happened to you?

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2017, 01:42:21 pm »

3 so far.
Twice last month and just this week.

first for an arduino
second for some spa oxidizer
and this last one is for a roll of resistors.

we are talking < $1.50 each time but might as well just pay a few bucks more and do it through amazon.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2017, 03:14:51 pm »
Never had that happen before.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2017, 04:35:41 pm »
So anyone notice lately when you order something off ebay with FREE shipping it shows up postage due?

Then if they respond they give me some lame excuse, blame the post office then end up refunding me the money.

How weird is that?

I had it happen last summer when I bought a M350 MiniBox PC case I was using to build a Plex server. It sold for I think $25 shipped, then arrived with $10 postage due. I left it at the PO and contacted the seller who told me it was on me. I had to explain that he could either send me the money to cover the shipping, or I could refuse the pkg. which means it would come back to him, he would lose his initial shipping charge and be forced to refund me thru eBay. It took some convincing, but he finally paid up.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2017, 04:43:01 pm »
Some people just guess the weights and end up guessing low and getting caught on it sometimes.

3 so far.
Twice last month and just this week.

first for an arduino

we are talking < $1.50 each time but might as well just pay a few bucks more and do it through amazon.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2017, 07:41:42 pm »
first for an arduino

a) Awesome shopping list
b) On balance, if you think back before the internet, you'd have likely have had to pay $20 in either petrol or mail order costs.

In fact now I think of it, I blame the internet entirely for encouraging middle aged men towards increasingly esoteric and bonkers hobbies.

Lastly, in answer to the OP's original question: I'd forget about it. Like the man said, it's $13. And you can't change the world.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2017, 07:43:05 pm »
first for an arduino

a) Awesome shopping list
b) On balance, if you think back before the internet, you'd have likely have had to pay $20 in either petrol or mail order costs to get hold of them.

In fact now I think of it, I blame the internet entirely for encouraging middle aged men towards increasingly esoteric and bonkers hobbies.

Lastly, in answer to the OP's original question: I'd forget about it. Like the man said, it's $13. And you can't change the world.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2017, 03:55:20 pm »
some of the ebay guys deserve whats coming to them

bought hdmi cable. his sales page says 2 hdmi cable and still decides to send me 1. I ask about it and get no reply. I dont want to leave a negative over a  dollar but they should really get their priorities straight. I ran ebay business before and I always listed things correctly. had got anything broken then I replaced it too. other day bought 2 usb snes pad and one didnt work..I ask the seller and get no reply at all  :banghead:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2017, 08:17:33 pm »
I was going to get burned by a questionable seller a while back.  So after lengthy emails I just threatened to get paypal involved and like magic I got a return invoice.  Sometimes being a bit of a jerk is the only way a customer can get justice, so I recommend looking at it from their perspective before doing anything rash.  The customer is always right.  (Yes, even when they are wrong they are still right as far as a seller is concerned.)

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2017, 01:34:23 am »
Since this thread was bumped by somebody other than myself, I'll go ahead and update. Haven't heard a word from the guy since the 7th, so 2+ weeks now. Not sure how long he has to file a complaint (I think it's 40 or 45 days, but it have changed) but he's quickly running outta time.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2017, 10:34:45 am »

How weird is that?
Blame Ebay. They started taking FEES on SHIPPING COST in an effort to encourage sellers to list with "free shipping". That's right, so if the post office charges you $10 to send a box, Ebay wants a chunk of that $10, so you have to charge the customer $12. Now imagine if you want a handling fee in there too? Then buyers complain"wahh wahh! why is your shipping so high! This seller HERE ships it for FREE!" It's a big mess thanks Amazon Prime/free shipping, sellers from China, and sellers who used to scam the system by selling 1cent items with all the cost buried in the shipping cost.

NO MORE!!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2017, 10:47:42 am »
God, shipping fees have been a major turn off for the Ebay experience.  I'm still salty over the guy that charged me $12 to ship a Bad Dudes board and just threw it loose in a box.  When I bitched about it, I got told, "I charge a high shipping fee to make sure I get enough money for my items."

15 years.  Still mad about it.

:lol

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2017, 11:00:53 am »
Amazon Prime and free 2 day shipping has ruined me for anything Ebay.  The only time I turn to it now is if I can't get something on Amazon.

I sold a book on Ebay once, for $2500, and the buyer tried to scam me and say he never got it.  The key with that argument is the signature from UPS.  Without it, you can claim you never got something and Ebay (Paypal) will instantly refund your money if there is no signature to prove delivery.  The only reason I got my money back (60 days later) was because the buyer changed his story twice in emails and when I demanded mediation and turned over the emails, they found in my favor.  Of course, Paypal took their fees BOTH times, once when I was paid the first time, and then again when I was reimbursed after winning the mediation, but I still won the fight against a crappy buyer.

I still sell used computers on Ebay, and while the fees are a killer, I don't really care because any money brought back from these retired computers is found money.  I would hate to rely on Ebay for my income though. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2017, 11:31:53 am »
Blame Ebay. They started taking FEES on SHIPPING COST in an effort to encourage sellers to list with "free shipping". That's right, so if the post office charges you $10 to send a box, Ebay wants a chunk of that $10, so you have to charge the customer $12. Now imagine if you want a handling fee in there too? Then buyers complain"wahh wahh! why is your shipping so high! This seller HERE ships it for FREE!" It's a big mess thanks Amazon Prime/free shipping, sellers from China, and sellers who used to scam the system by selling 1cent items with all the cost buried in the shipping cost.

Can't really blame them or the buyer - when like you mention sellers start listing with the cost of the item in the shipping to avoid paying a fee - which is made even worse for the buyer when the shipping fee is not included in a refund when you do get scammed and/or get a broken item and the shipping is not refundable.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2017, 12:33:14 pm »
^This^

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2017, 12:36:12 pm »
customers can be asshats too. years ago I was selling a bar top and some dude showed up to get it started complaining about how "xevious dont even play" or whatever. I probably didnt have the rom or something and auction clearly say no roms even tho he still got thousands of them in there. then he tried to lowball me, things didn't work out, he goes home with nothing and leaves a negative feedback.

how about doing all that BEFORE you show up..could have saved yourself that 2 hour drive.....