Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: r85 problem  (Read 3560 times)

leowin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2017, 09:58:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
r85 problem
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:29:50 pm »
Very new to jukeboxes picked up my first one and am having a problem with it. It is a rowe ami r85 and the the turntable turns and so does the carousel? if that is the correct term. but i cant get the arm that grabs the record or the arm with the needle to move by itself but i can move them manually. I do have a manual on the way from victory glass. But would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: r85 problem
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:32:42 pm »
Do yourself a big favor and WAIT for the manual to arrive. Playing around with the machine willy-nilly can do considerable damage to the machine.

When the manual arrives, read through it to acquaint yourself with the terminology and the sequence of operations.

leowin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:11:47 am »
Thanks Ken will do sounds like the smart thing to do.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:13:22 am »
the whole system is all mechanically timed. messing with things manually is asking for disaster. if something ends up out of time, all kinds of drive gears and stuff can get busted.

leowin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 10:32:32 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. Got the machine up and running everything works as it should. i had to replace the motor that works the needle and selector arm. i just have 1 problem i cant get the 0 selector button to work all the other ones work fine. any advice would be great. Thanks. i also got the manual and parts books they are a big help

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 06:08:57 pm »
a real problem area is where the door hinges and the cables for the door go up and over onto the main body.

they bend over pretty hard here sometimes and the the wires can get broken.

otherwise, you will have to identify the 0 select wire on the selector plate and trace it back. maybe you might get lucky and it's just broke off the selector itself.

leowin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 11:04:20 am »
Ok got it traced the 0 wire (brown wire) down to the price board and found a cols solder joint got it taken care of all good to go. Thanks The only thing left is the bottom fluorescent light not working i think i will have to change the ballast.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 08:20:09 pm »
ballasts don't normally go...it's usually just the starter and the tube. ballasts only really go if the starter fails closed and the ballast tis forced to run in "start mode" continuously.

if the ballast is toast it's either dead (no light even after replacing tube and starter with known good units) or shorted (tube flashes once with a ultra bright flash like a camera and goes dark)

then yes, replace it.

leowin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 01:04:44 pm »
You nailed it lilshawn. Bad starter changed it out all good now. Juke all finished and works and looks great. Now moving on to a 1964 Rock-Ola 414s that i just picked up for 100.00 which is extremely dirty and needs work. Already downloaded the manual. So we will see what happens. Thanks again for all the excellent advice.

leowin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 10:31:32 am »
Well spoke to soon. Now have a problem with the bottom row 6-0 and reset buttons. They do not work when pressed but the top row 1-5 works fine. Any suggestions? Thanks

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 10:57:17 am »
Hello Leowin,

Sorry you did not give your name.

Check out the top and bottom header pins on the Pricing Board for dry joints (cold joints USA) if you see any cracking on the solder on these pins then resolder. If the pricing board header pins are ok then there is a fault on the CCC and you will have to get it tested/repaired by a Rowe Ami specalist such as us in the UK or AB Leisure in the USA.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

leowin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 11:07:41 am »
Hi Alan,  The names Chip thanks for the advice. The boards look good no cracked solder or cold joints. I was afraid it would be the CCC. Thanks

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 11:28:28 am »
Hi Chip,

You could check that the header pins on P-100, P-101 and P-105 again for dry joints.
Also check out the looms that goes from P-100 & P-101, this goes to the pricing board and the dislay.
Make sure that you use safe handling practices when handling any of the boards, especially the CCC.

You might have checked the looms for continuity but if a connection is not making correctly in the molex plug then you will have issues.

If you look at the plugs you will see a series of slots on one side of the plug. In these slots are the locking pawls for each connector, to remove a connection push back the pawl with a very small screwdriver or craft knife. Pull on the cable to withdraw the connection and reset the pawl, this is best done with a craft knife, you will see that the connection is a folded over design, if you unfold this slightly it will make a stronger connection when back in the plug (also check for any tarnish).
If you go through each connection in turn then you know you will have good connections in the looms.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

leowin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 02:46:34 pm »
O.K. I spoke with Bruce at A&B what a nice guy and he said that 8 out of 10 times it is the price board that has a problem,. So i will be sending it off to him to be tested and if needed repaired.

leowin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:30 pm »
just to follow up. Sent the price board out to Bruce. He called and said it was one of the worst he has seen, any way he resoldered it and now works great cant say enough good things about A&B Jukebox. Now onto a new problem my led lights for price and selection only shows up half of the number sometimes but not all the time. Any suggestions? Bruce told me to call him about this but with the time difference between east and west coast it s hard to fit it in sometimes.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 05:44:26 am »
Hi Chip,

It sounds as if there are still dry joins on the Pricing Board or the CCC. If they had missing segments all the time I would have suggested replacing the chips, we do stock these and offer them as a set of three display chips.

Check out the connections on the plugs involved P-100 & P-101 on the CCC,  a good guide is to hold the connector with a light source behind it and look for any gaps bigger than others, these are the connectors to remove to put extra tension on the connector.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK