Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Slim Vertically Oriented Cabinet (Example posted): Any Plans/Kits Out There?  (Read 5306 times)

Silly Burrito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2022, 11:09:52 pm
  • Tigercade progress - 1%
I came across this in a pizza place recently and was pretty impressed. It's a very slim vertically oriented cabinet. Does anyone know of any similar kits or plans to create one?

Thanks!
Geaux Saints! Geaux Tigers!

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
No, but i just wanted to say ive been seeing a lot of these multicades running xx in 1 popping up at a lot of businesses lately.

Silly Burrito

• Offline Offline
No, but i just wanted to say ive been seeing a lot of these multicades running xx in 1 popping up at a lot of businesses lately.

Funny thing is, I tried to see if I could find one like it online, but my Google-Fu is failing me. There's just something about that form factor that's really appealing to me.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
Where did the sound come?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
The more I look at this, the more things I don't like....

I like a marquee on a game
The screen is larger, but the image doesn't fill it
The buttons should be concave, and I don't like their layout
The bezel needs to be cleaned up - looks like they cut some art off

Silly Burrito

• Offline Offline
Where did the sound come?

Didn't really pay attention, but I'm guessing in line with the monitor.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Sorry, that looks like ass.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Silly Burrito

• Offline Offline

To each his own.  :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
A slim vertical cab with an LCD is a nice idea.  But this one is not very well executed.  I am sure you can find better examples.

Here is the first one I ran across with a quick google search:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,121148.0.html

That thread has dimensions and could easily be used with a vertically oriented monitor.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:01:03 pm by smass »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
There are a lot of examples on this forum. See this thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=117714.0

You always could go with a classic design, and cut the back off. I attached a pic of a Nintendo cabinet that is only about a foot deep. In my opinion, if you are going with a classic layout of vertical screen with 4 way joysticks, it might as well look like a classic design. Midway or Nintendo had some distinctive cabinet designs.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
I like the artwork. However, it's called Classic Cade, but has no marquee and a giant widescreen LCD with classic games being stretched out.

I'd search for jakobud plans and just slim down an authentic cabinet.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
I'm a fan of hiding the ends of the LCD.  Mount your 16:9 vertically, expose only the center 9:9 square, and you can play horizontal or vertical games on it and not stretch out either one.  It'll have pleasingly classic proportions in cabinet design, too.

Silly Burrito

• Offline Offline
There are a lot of examples on this forum. See this thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=117714.0

You always could go with a classic design, and cut the back off. I attached a pic of a Nintendo cabinet that is only about a foot deep. In my opinion, if you are going with a classic layout of vertical screen with 4 way joysticks, it might as well look like a classic design. Midway or Nintendo had some distinctive cabinet designs.

Not a bad idea at all, thank you!

I'm a fan of hiding the ends of the LCD.  Mount your 16:9 vertically, expose only the center 9:9 square, and you can play horizontal or vertical games on it and not stretch out either one.  It'll have pleasingly classic proportions in cabinet design, too.

Now I've never heard of this, but this is pretty intriguing. How do you keep it in proportion?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:53:10 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
You may as well grab an LCD and mount it to a toilet. Scratch that. Just cram it in the toilet. It would be an improvement over that hideous monstrosity. I have seen some really well done LCD cabinet builds. There are many  spread around this forum. Please don't take inspiration from the one you snapped a picture of.

Silly Burrito

• Offline Offline
You may as well grab an LCD and mount it to a toilet. Scratch that. Just cram it in the toilet. It would be an improvement over that hideous monstrosity. I have seen some really well done LCD cabinet builds. There are many  spread around this forum. Please don't take inspiration from the one you snapped a picture of.

So I could crap and play Q-bert? Sold!  :lol

I realize it's not the prettiest cabinet in the world, but just something about it just appeals to me. Maybe it's the giant vertical screen, maybe it's the slimness. Who knows why the heart chooses what it does? You guys have some really good suggestions in this thread though, and I appreciate it. :)

Laythe

• Offline Offline
Now I've never heard of this, but this is pretty intriguing. How do you keep it in proportion?

Mame layout files keep it in proportion.

Token's Moonshot, my Mimic, and Krangbrain's Star Wars Themed Upright, all do this hidden monitor trick, if you want to glance at them as examples.

Moonshot:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147277.0.html
Mimic:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
Star Wars:http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152253.0.html

If you want an example of not masking off part of the monitor, you probably want to look at the Monolith build thread.

Silly Burrito

• Offline Offline

Mame layout files keep it in proportion.

Token's Moonshot, my Mimic, and Krangbrain's Star Wars Themed Upright, all do this hidden monitor trick, if you want to glance at them as examples.

Moonshot:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147277.0.html
Mimic:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
Star Wars:http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152253.0.html

If you want an example of not masking off part of the monitor, you probably want to look at the Monolith build thread.

Holy hell, I've somehow missed your Mimic, and by God, that's amazing. I've never seen that before, and it just looks stunning. Simply stunning. I kinda wish I had won Mega Millions so I could offer you a princely sum for it. Kudos!  :applaud:

Laythe

• Offline Offline
Heh, thanks!  Glad you like Mimic.  (It would indeed take a whole lot for me to part with it.)

There's a side view cutaway drawing in the Mimic build thread showing how it fits together.  My plans wouldn't do you much good, because the exact size of everything ends up depending on the size of the television you put in it - but the basic idea can always be used, with or without the marquee monitor above.  You could put a traditional marquee over it.  Or, you could bury the bottom and expose the top part of the main screen for the marquee, like one of Markc74's unused Blip designs, or Sealcouch's Nintendo Bartop http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,153085.0.html did, if you don't mind the marquee being on the same plane with the screen.

All that said... build what you dig.  There's a wide variety of opinions here.  A lot of people seem to think the super-wide Jarrett 4p aircraft carrier look as exemplified by Chance's "Flynn's" is the sexiest thing that has ever been.  I totally don't get it.  Chito's got a love for redemption machines, and his Monolith is pretty much taking that first picture you posted here and doubling down two or three times on it.  I don't get that either, but hey, I don't have to.  There's folks here that don't like Mimic.  We've got all kinds.  The cool thing about building your own arcade cabinet is that it can be exactly what you want.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
The screen is larger, but the image doesn't fill it

this is a common issue with these boards. in particular the 60 in 1 boards. it's a real PITA because the VGA output from these units is non-standard for some reason. some monitors you can't adjust the horizontal enough to get all the video image on the screen... cutting off the bottom. Or you can move it over and get it onscreen, but can't stretch the image out (like you see here).

if this monitor has it,  usually a pixel clock adjustment is all that needs to be adjusted to stretch the image back out to fill the screen.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm

Funny thing is, I tried to see if I could find one like it online, but my Google-Fu is failing me. There's just something about that form factor that's really appealing to me.

There were always a half dozen lined up at the arcade auction they used to have not far from here.
They quit having the auctions because none of the machines were bringing any money though.

They were always in classic style pacman/galaga or cocktail cabs though.

I think the one in OP's pics looks like a redemption game, not an arcade cabinet.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
Don't let Ark see this thing. His head might explode.

cdf12345

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2020, 08:36:10 am
I was just trying to find the manufacturer of a cabinet I just saw in a pizza place on a Florida beach and this thread is the closest I can find. It has the same “classic cade” logo

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
Kohler

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

Some things never change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
I can't believe there is a cab out there I like less than the green one in the OP but here we are.