Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rowe Ami CD100-G Unit... Aux Input  (Read 9047 times)

fredw1970

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2020, 10:08:27 pm
  • "But I don't wanna be a pirate!"
Rowe Ami CD100-G Unit... Aux Input
« on: March 04, 2017, 10:37:32 pm »
Hello All,

This is my first posting on this site, which I happened upon today.

I am in the process of building a "rec room" in the basement and found a refurbished Rowe Ami CD100-G "Starlight" Jukebox.  It is in decent shape, but does not have a manual (which I need to find).

The shop where I am looking to purchase the unit from says it is really easy to replace the CD's --- I take his word on it I guess.

But my question is, can the system be 'adapted' to handle an auxiliary input, and if so how?

For example, I would like the ability to switch the input source from the CD system to an external, ie my iphone (in the case I want to stream audio).

Is there a place I can find a retrofit, or does the CD100-G allow for it already?

Thanks for any/all help you might be able to provide.  Thanks!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Rowe Ami CD100-G Unit... Aux Input
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 02:52:58 pm »
you would be looking for either rowe background kit part 26694703

or

a line level switch like the PAS AUDIO ACTIVATED LINE LEVEL SWITCH

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/jukebox_audio_equipment/95-0784-00

this solution involves disabling the mute to the jukebox amp though. i think there is a way around it...but i've never really looked into it.

fredw1970

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:52:30 am »
Thanks for the help lilshawn... would something like this also work?

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-CUSTOM-AUDIO-50-8396-/50-8396

Where it is a audio level switch?

I have not taken delivery of the unit yet, so I don't recall what imputs are on the amp yet.   Thanks!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 10:57:20 am »
actually, yeah... that would work great actually... good find! This unnit has a relay that you can use to unmute the amp.

the amp has a orange/black stripe wire that is attached the the CCC computer. (it's plugged into the lower right hand corner of the CCC) the CCC attaches this wire to ground to mute the amp to reduce noise while the system isn't playing. if you cut into that line and attach the 2 ends to the relay's NC position and common position , it should then break the ground connection when you play something (relay would go open) on a signal from the sense input and unmute the amp so the input will play...bypassing the CCC computer control of the mute. The CD and CCC control would still operate normally as it always did.

fredw1970

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 11:38:56 am »
Glad to know I am (hopefully) on the right track... So not to sound like a dumb-bunny (again, I don't have the unit yet), but this would be 'inserted' just before the amp correct, so either the signal from the CD player and/or my aux input would be fed into the amp to the speakers? 

Or am I completely off base here? 

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 12:16:13 pm »
yep, depending on how you want it to act either...

unplug the CD unit from the amp and plug it into the input...use a patch cord to plug the output from the box to the amp again. then on the sense input you plug in your ipod or satellite radio or radio or whatever.

then when you play your auxiliary device it will "cut into" the amp and play. this basically give the jukebox an auxiliary input.

alternatively, you can reverse the input plugs...

unplug the CD unit from the amp and plug it into the input sense line...use a patch cord to plug the output from the box to the amp again. then on the input you plug in your ipod or satellite radio or radio or whatever.

This will have it so you would have your background device plays all the time, (radio satellite etc) then have the jukebox cut that off and play it's song(s), then switch back to the background device.

fredw1970

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:03:11 pm »
Either it will work or blow out my system... I am not taking delivery on the unit for another 45 days. 

Since I am so new to this, is the CD100-G a decent box?  (here is a pic of the unit). 

It does not have a manual but I did find the directions on how to initialize a new disc/full initialization.

It is going in a non-smoking rec room.  For me it is all about nostalgia and a bit of "coolness factor."

Thanks for all your help BTW!

Fred

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 02:29:32 pm »
the advantage of the rowe cd100 series (A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H, etc) is the all basically use the same parts. same computers...same amps... they all just look a little different. they all sound great. especially after the D series when the woofers where changed to 12's opposed to 10's.

the only gripe about the 100G (and the 100E series) I have is the ridiculous # of lights it has. the mini wedge lights (#74 mini wedge) don't like vibrations much and tend to burn out easily from vibrations from the woofers. It's worth your time and money to swap them out for LED lights.

Keep a special eye on your glass. it's tempered...and curved... a real recipe for disaster. replacements are hard to come by and you might end up replacing it with lexan or plexiglas if it get's busted. it never looks the same or as good as the original glass.

Just make sure you don't slam the door or open it by one corner twisting the front... it'll pop on you. tempered glass is a bear to clean up.

if you open it, 2 hands..one on either side. lift it straight up. support it in the middle while you clamp the struts with the red plastic holders. (if you have them or need them (some struts where weak)) If it opens and holds on it's own, you're golden.

other than that, it's a great sounding and a great looking machine. the infinite starfield look to the front really pops when you change the tungsten lamps for LED lamps.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/miniature-wedge-base/filter/Base_Type,74,1,4023:

i'd often thought what it would look like if the lamps where swapped for those RGB auto color changing LED's. with all the "stars" all different colors.

http://lighthouseleds.com/5mm-led-red-green-blue-rainbow-ultra-bright-slow.html

fredw1970

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 03:22:57 pm »
Great info...

When I looked at the unit it appeared to stay open on it's own, no braces needed (which is good).

I will have to swap out those with LED's... might even change to my kids' high school colors (Red/Blue) since this is for their rec room. 

fredw1970

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 06:30:05 pm »
Hey, one last question... Does the volume control on back of the CD100G change the power at the amp itself, or does it alter the CD signal level?  What I mean I guess is the amp on 100% all the time and/or at what point does the volume get adjusted.

Sorry, not trying to be a pest.  Thanks again for all of your help!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 06:48:22 pm »
the volume control actually controls the amp volume. (not the signal) so the volume will still operate as intended. your external input (ipod, satellite radio, etc) volume should be turned almost all the way up to supply adequate signal strength. (same as how you would use an aux cord on your car stereo with an ipod)

the amp is powered from a 120v AC outlet in the cabinet. if you wish, there is a service outlet inside the jukebox right next to the amp outlet that is powered even when the jukebox is turned off. if you want, you can plug in the switch box to this outlet.

I will warn you right now about installing extra external speakers to the amp. it is a VERY finicky setup.

You CAN add additional external speakers to the jukebox amp, BUT they must be wired properly to maintain a proper load on the amp or it WILL blow up on you. it absolutely does not tolerate improper loads attached to it one bit.

if this is something you wish to do, let me know and i'll figure out the connections to safely do it.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 11:29:00 pm »
Rowe # 26694703 Amplifier Accessory Board Kit gives you tons of RCA input and output jacks to feed into and/or out of the amplifier. It also gives access before and after the jukebox's volume control. Kit can be purchased at the parts department of any Rowe jukebox distributor.

Here are the instructions:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Jukebox/Rowe_AMI/Rowe_Amplifier_Accessory_Board_Kit_26694703_(Rev_3-93).pdf

fredw1970

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 07:35:06 pm »
the volume control actually controls the amp volume. (not the signal) so the volume will still operate as intended. your external input (ipod, satellite radio, etc) volume should be turned almost all the way up to supply adequate signal strength. (same as how you would use an aux cord on your car stereo with an ipod)

the amp is powered from a 120v AC outlet in the cabinet. if you wish, there is a service outlet inside the jukebox right next to the amp outlet that is powered even when the jukebox is turned off. if you want, you can plug in the switch box to this outlet.

I will warn you right now about installing extra external speakers to the amp. it is a VERY finicky setup.

You CAN add additional external speakers to the jukebox amp, BUT they must be wired properly to maintain a proper load on the amp or it WILL blow up on you. it absolutely does not tolerate improper loads attached to it one bit.

if this is something you wish to do, let me know and i'll figure out the connections to safely do it.

So hey I just stopped by the store to look at the cd100g box. Luckily the units front hold up great without any support which is fantastic (pistons hold with zero issues).  Was reviewing the wiring and noticed that the phono speakers are set to e5.  Is that referring to the upper speakers (midranges) and not the woofers?  Since a company refurbished the unit want to be sure they didn't put the wiring in the wrong place and I may either blow my speakers or not fully utilize the power of the system.

Or is what I am saying completely noob and I should just pipe down lol.  In any case I paid for it and it is mine, just hope that it is not a 300 lb turd.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 08:39:14 pm »
no that's overall output power. the pink and purple wires feed into a crossover (across from the amp) that split the signals to the 6 speakers. there is no separation. normally for these internal speakers they are normally on e7 the highest tap, if not... for lower maximum volume for certain installations.

these jukeboxes come from a weird time where they thought total speaker power was most important to keep from damaging an amp. in fact, there are pages of worksheets in the manual to figure this out.

We know this to be incorrect now...this is why it's important to properly wire external speakers properly to present a correct load to the amp.

fredw1970

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 08:51:29 pm »
So then perhaps this jukebox was wired to external speakers... Since I am not going to be driving any external speakers can I move these to E6 or E7, or am I best to leave it at E5 to be safe?  I guess if I am not pleased with the volume at E5 can I move it up to E6?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 08:59:35 pm »
yeah, we normally only put the speakers on a lower tap to limit the maximum volume for places like hotel bars and whatnot. some people get pretty careless with the volume not even thinking that someone upstairs might be trying to sleep.

or if we have small low power external speakers attached to it we will put them on a low tap like e3 to keep from them getting wrecked if the volume gets cranked.

fredw1970

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 09:06:08 pm »
Gotcha... Basement rec room... Probably E5 might be PLENTY loud.  in the store about 1/3 the volume people were looking at me, so I would suspect keeping it lower to ensure my kids not annoying me.  :banghead:

When I popped the woofer grill off to look it appears they are 10" or 12"?  Do you know?

Also, any advise where I can buy a manual for this beast?

I have to say I cannot wait to get it delivered... I have to have them hold it for probably 30 days while my basement is getting finished.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 10:12:22 pm »
When I popped the woofer grill off to look it appears they are 10" or 12"?  Do you know?

i'm pretty sure they are 12's been a while since i've looked though. I should have a manual at the shop I can double check.

I'm almost positive it was the cd100/a/b series that did 10's ... c and up was 12's.

If I do have one, i might be able to part with it.  i'll let you know.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 10:33:59 pm »

Jeff Wager on ebay sells very high quality reproduction manuals. This model uses a set of manuals (volume 1 and volume 2) and he includes both. They are very thick. Worth the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rowe-CD-100G-LASERSTAR-VI-Jukebox-Service-Manuals-/221246520300?hash=item338351fbec:g:u5MAAOxyiOxRyyd1

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 11:28:37 pm »
that's not a bad price at all considering you are looking at probably well over 300 pages. I don't think i could photocopy all that for that price.