Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bartop Buttons  (Read 1572 times)

MadMike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 07:13:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Bartop Buttons
« on: March 04, 2017, 01:15:44 pm »
How many buttons do people normally have on a bartop? 
I am using a mini Pac, which has 8 buttons for each player + coin and start for each player.
I want a standard 6 button per player, 1 button on each side for pinball (p1 7+8?), coin and start buttons for each player, that leaves 2 left (p2 7+8) for menu/escape?  Maybe a squeeze to fit 6 buttons on the bottom panel.  What do other people do?

aldub516

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2018, 03:32:46 pm
Re: Bartop Buttons
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 01:29:42 pm »
pretty much nailed it... if thats the setup you want. you need a menu and exit buttons if youre using a front end.. and the other buttons seem good.. you have your player buttons, coin and start, enter / exit buttons.. good to go

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 01:40:36 pm »
Yup thats it :)

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 04:04:55 pm »
Don’t forget that you can use shifted buttons with pac software. You don’t need a dedicated escape button. You could have it so you press both start buttons at the same time and it will simulate „Esc“ to the computer. You can add a dedicated button for it, just keep in mind that it needs to be in a spot where a user would not bump it and accidentally exit a game. I have a neo geo with a select button that is being used as Esc, but its far away from action buttons and is indicated with bright red and a pause graphic.

MadMike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 07:13:31 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 07:13:31 pm »
OK thanks, I had heard about the shift buttons with Mini PAC but thought I had to have a decided button to be "shift" didn't know you could use two start buttons for example, I may have to use something else though as if two players are playing 2 people might hit the start button at same time possibly. 

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 08:06:19 pm »
OK thanks, I had heard about the shift buttons with Mini PAC but thought I had to have a decided button to be "shift" didn't know you could use two start buttons for example, I may have to use something else though as if two players are playing 2 people might hit the start button at same time possibly.

When you designate a key in the software as the „shift key“, it will function as normal when no other button is pressed at the same time. I doubt two people will press start at the same exact time. The only time realistically you would have an issue is if some dumb @ss holds down their start button and the other player presses theirs. Usually you press start for a split second and release.

burn_654

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 06:51:30 am »
I've absolutely had the 'two people pushing start accidentally exits' problem. It's possible when both people die in a game and are crediting up and 'start' ing back in.

In the end I may move to a dedicated 'exit' button somewhere on the cab, for now I still have 'start' as my shift key and hold start + player 1 heavy kick to exit. That at least made the action in the hands of one person's controls alone (more predictability) and that's not a common combo at all.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:41:55 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 10:00:36 am »

I've absolutely had the 'two people pushing start accidentally exits' problem. It's possible when both people die in a game and are crediting up and 'start' ing back in.

Did you refund them their quarters?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

equlizer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2019, 02:56:48 am
  • All your base are belong to us
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 11:50:10 pm »
You can also control the volume and power on/off your computer with the ipac :)  Also you can change the shift key to whatever you want or have multiple ones and set whatever button you want to whatever you want.  Check out the build section, i just posted mine there.

nukie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2017, 08:43:36 am
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 08:05:22 am »
If you need to save some inputs you can also wire up your pinball buttons to P1 buttons 1 and 2.