Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Zelda Breath of the Wild... pretty awesome.  (Read 61807 times)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild... pretty awesome.
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2018, 06:44:25 pm »
That Lynel fight at the end was some ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---.  Luckily I shot a fire arrow, floated up, slowed time and shot him in the face with an ancient arrow. Master Sword is maxed out, weut!
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2019, 04:39:28 pm »
Is anyone still playing BotW?

My son is currently addicted to the Switch version. He is only 8, so I have to help him with some things and of course I've been playing a bit myself.

I can't stand the weapon/inventory management in this game. Saving weapons for later use because they will break is just completely stupid. A freaking katana broke after ten-ish swings. That is insane.

This has to be the worst combat in any 3D Zelda game. In the beginning, Link is a pushover against almost everyone in this game. Breaking 5 weapons on water Ganon is ridiculous, but, another issue, especially against larger enemies,  is the targeting. You have to be right up next to a monster to target them. This is most noticeable during the boss battles. For example, Link has to be so close to the cyclops guy to target his eye that the camera is looking almost vertically up at him. So you end up controlling the camera manually, which just isn't great. Up close, objects pop in and out of view. There are cliffs and other places you can fall off while trying to swing the camera around and/or up to where you need to target. Also, the cyclops kills you when you touch his foot as he's pirouetting like a ballerina on a music box. It's like a bad early 3D game. WTH were the developers at Nintendo thinking?

The next big issue is that link isn't nearly mobile enough while targeting. In previous games, you could move decently quickly while targeting and dodge side to side much more rapidly compared to monster attacks. Now, Link moves incredibly slowly while targeting, and can barely dodge.

Every Zelda game has weaknesses, but the combat in this game is laughable.

Maybe someday a hacker will remove all the crap from this game because there is a lot of amazing stuff, otherwise. The exploration elements are really well done. The graphics are stunning, especially the landscapes and architectural stuff. Having access to several different powers from the beginning really opens up the puzzle design. The world seems to live and breathe more-so than in previous titles. All these are laudable achievements.

The story is threadbare and the flashbacks are a cheap and distracting gimmick, but I believe that story immersion would be less possible in a game that is so open in its design philosophy. Without a linear structure, having Link experience a story told completely through backstory seems like a balance that needed to be struck, but the designers didn't have to sacrifice Link's combat abilities in order to satisfy the other design goals. This was just a failed experiment, made all the more disappointing because in many ways the game is so amazing.

Hopefully, going forward, the next Zelda designers will figure out a way to mix-up the formula without ruining so much of what makes Zelda great: interesting and atmospheric dungeon design, effortless and effective combat controls, and amazing music (the lack of this in BotW is almost unforgivable).

I've played every Zelda game and beaten all the 3D games (with the exception of the end sliding room puzzle of Skyward Sword, so boring) up until this one. I love certain aspects of the game, but the combat and lack of good music really kill the game for me. We'll definitely continue to mess around with it, but I doubt that we will see it through to the end.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 04:52:00 pm by KenToad »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2019, 05:07:39 pm »
I still need to finish this game. I went for the completionist angle and lost momentum before finishing the story.

adamcian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 12:14:33 am
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2019, 07:17:21 pm »
I still need to finish this game. I went for the completionist angle and lost momentum before finishing the story.
100 % same for me. Got burned out on the collection aspect and never even finished the dang game...

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2019, 07:26:43 pm »
Weapons break, no dungeons, "cooking" = hard pass

Horizon Zero Dawn crapped all over this Zelda.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2019, 07:58:41 pm »
I've barely even heard of Horizon zero Dawn. I'll Google it.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2019, 07:59:48 pm »
Haha, I love cooking in games.
Odin Sphere was my favourite for this.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2019, 12:05:09 am »
Weapons break, no dungeons, "cooking" = hard pass

Horizon Zero Dawn crapped all over this Zelda.

The hell it did.  I'm going through it right now.  Stupidly complex, unrecognizable icons, frustrating battles, an overly complex and confusing crafting system and basically all the worst parts of an open world game.  If it weren't for the story and the combat system I would have quit already.  Honestly I'm about to quit the damn thing and the whole time I'm thinking "Why can't this be more like Breath of the Wild?"  BOTW is light on the rpg elements, because Nintendo knows that action rules and grinding sucks.  The map on botw uses contrast to it's fullest..... animals and notable items are colored so that they stand out... in Horizon there are several sections where the machine animals blend into the background a little too easily.  Also there have been more than a few areas in the game where a certain level is recommended, I'll be over that level and I get stomped on.  I don't think it's me because this is my favorite genre of game and I've never had trouble before.  Actually I'd prefer if it was more like Assassin's Creed, or Watchdogs or any of those games really.... It seems like a good game at it's core, but it feels rushed and unpolished.  Hell just try jumping and you'll feel like you are playing a game from the early 2000's. 

I'm gonna stick with it for now, but better than BOTW... nah man, get out of here with that weak sauce.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2019, 01:18:03 am »
Stick with it. Takes awhile for the combat to click. A big revelation to me was realizing I could always run away.

Took me 50 minutes to get around a mountain in BOTW.  I'm happy you liked it but it is a supremely over rated game.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2019, 03:33:48 am »
I still haven't gone back and killed off ganandorf  >:D  But I did Plat Horizon.  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Why don't we stop comparing apples and pears. Zelda is the best open world game on the Nintendo and Horizon is one of the best on Playstation. Both have their own annoyances, In Zelda the weapons break too quickly with no opportunity to repair them.  In Horizon she needs to be able to climb properly.  Anyways now that both have sequels in development we can do it all over again in a few years. 

I bought a Wii U Just so I could play BOTW,  I did not buy the PS4 to play horizon.  If they both come out as exclusives for the next generation then I will have a much much harder decision on what to get.   

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2019, 01:20:13 pm »
This is an excellent review of both Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild.

I agree with most of what he says, but, unlike him, I hated the motion-controlled sword fighting against the psycho dude in Skyward Sword.

The reviews of both games seem pretty comprehensive, although he doesn't mention the fetch quests of most Zelda games. I felt like the fetch quests in Sword were pretty awful, but still better than the stupid fetch quests in Twilight Princess, neither of which even comes close to the insane tedium of the Wind Waker's fetch madness.

But, at least in those games, you can use a guide to speed through the fetch quests and enjoy the rest of the game. Breath of the Wild almost feels like a continuous fetch quest, with its maddening inventory system, forcing you to constantly hunt, collect, and store the better equipment for future use. Then, you basically use the better weapons and gear anytime you find yourself unable to handle a particular situation.

I have been replaying the N64 games and they still hold up the best for me. The rhythm of exploration and discovery is just perfect in those games and they have incredible music that never gets old.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2019, 01:24:25 pm »
I recently revisited Majora's Mask and I can't do it.  The constant timer stresses me out and I don't enjoy it at all. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2019, 01:32:42 pm »
I recently revisited Majora's Mask and I can't do it.  The constant timer stresses me out and I don't enjoy it at all.

You get ways to largely control the timer at some point in the game. I think they were Ocarina songs, but I can't remember now.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2021, 08:26:36 pm »

I am, finally got around to finishing the Champions Ballad and the Master Trials. I still need to go hunt down all the DLC costume parts for "completion" but all the hard stuff is done.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2021, 01:05:12 pm »

I am, finally got around to finishing the Champions Ballad and the Master Trials. I still need to go hunt down all the DLC costume parts for "completion" but all the hard stuff is done.

Nice.  I have been playing Breath of the Wild (again) for a few hours a day over the last month or so.  It's soooooo good.  I have 63 shrines and about 100 Korok seeds and I've completed 2 of the 4 Divine Beasts.  I'm currently exploring Rito Village for the first time.  This game seems like it will never stop being fun - I do not think I will ever finish it.  I'll beat Ganon but getting all the Korok seeds is probably not happening. 

I am still not great at it.  Lynels still destroy me easily and I run the other way when I see a Guardian.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I started focusing on armor and upgrading it at the Fairy Springs.  I'm also constantly out of weapons.  I think the destructibility is good for the game but I do wish there was a way to reinforce the good ones to make them last a little longer. 

I have the DLC but other than some of the Tingle armor I haven't really dove into it yet.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2021, 04:41:43 pm »
I got all the shrines (the motion control ones suck) but I only bothered to get 80 seeds.  Getting more will get you even more weapons slots.

If you can get better at fighting Lynels you can get better gear from them. The Master sword also never breaks, but it does "run out of energy" preventing you from over-using it.  Don't miss out on building a new town after you fully upgrade your house. Its a quest I didnt even know existed my first play through.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2021, 09:57:47 pm »
Breaking weapons breaks the game.  Cooking also sucks.  I play games to get away from chores.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2021, 11:27:17 pm »
It really doesn't.   Weapon breaks are only an issue very early in the game... once you've built up a little bit of health you'll have more swords than you know what to do with.   As for cooking it is 100% optional.   I think I cooked three times in the whole game and that was to complete a side quest.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2021, 12:02:02 am »
I hated the weapons breaking for the first few hours playing, but then I quickly realized that weapons are everywhere in this game and it's no big deal.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Zelda Breath of the Wild... pretty awesome.
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2021, 07:20:37 am »
Don't miss out on building a new town after you fully upgrade your house. Its a quest I didnt even know existed my first play through.

Hmmm… I haven’t found this quest yet.  I assume I get that after I get empty house in Hateno Village once I bring the carpenter x12 Wood… I just haven’t been back there in a while but it is on my to do list.

I just found the fishing village last night and figured out that shrine on the beach with the broken medallion.  Super cool - one quest and it took me like 2 hours of messing around to figure it out.  The game is truly gigantic.

I also need to get back to looking for the memories.  I started that quest in the beginning and found 4 of them but haven’t gone back to it.  I keep getting distracted by everything.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 07:22:37 am by javeryh »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2021, 10:18:19 am »
As for cooking it is 100% optional.   I think I cooked three times in the whole game and that was to complete a side quest.
Pffft I was cooking the wood to make the purple question mark food to get hearts back in the master sword trials.

I hated the weapons breaking for the first few hours playing, but then I quickly realized that weapons are everywhere in this game and it's no big deal.
Since there's no XP , I really just avoided a lot of unnecessary fights. Bombs are a good alternative to weapons, and stamina is more important than hearts especially at the beginning.
I don't know if its a bug or a feature, but you can drop a metal weapon on the ground then beat the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of enemies with it using magnesis without it breaking.

I assume I get that after I get empty house in Hateno Village once I bring the carpenter x12 Wood…I also need to get back to looking for the memories.

The quest happens after you upgrade the house, one of the builders leave and that starts the new town quest. No spoilers, but its a good amount of work and travel. Start bombing all the random trees and collect the wood piles now; you'll thank me later.

As for the memories....... there are at least 2 that are near some tough enemies. I would suggest getting better gear or at least more hearts/stamina  before trying to get them all.  I tapped out on this part and used a guide to find them all. I know the map pretty well and I'm 99% sure I couldn't find them all again without help.

best advice I can give you is
Mipha (water) and Rivaldi (wind) have the most useful powers, the other 2 powers are less helpful (IMO)
Upgrade your armor at the faeries when you can and grab the tiny faeries for more "extra lives" while you are there.
Cook a hearty radish by itself.
The most important skill to learn is reflecting guardian beams back at them.
Jump then down+B to shield surf, can get you downhill faster than running or floating.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #181 on: June 29, 2021, 11:16:12 am »
Breaking weapons breaks the game.  Cooking also sucks.  I play games to get away from chores.

I'd say if anything breaks the game, it is Amiibos. I think there are like 20 LoZ ones that give you really good loot, and when you can make your own amiibos with a cell phone, scanning the whole series daily gives you enough stuff to be wondering which high quality weapons to toss, and you always have enough cooking materials to make nothing but full recovery health/stamina potions, and add in whatever modifiers you want.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2021, 07:11:30 pm »
The quest happens after you upgrade the house, one of the builders leave and that starts the new town quest. No spoilers, but its a good amount of work and travel. Start bombing all the random trees and collect the wood piles now; you'll thank me later.

I have like 50 wood piles but need to make my way over to Hateno.  I've been walking everywhere and rarely using fast travel because it seems like every mountain or hill or lake has somethign interesting (a Korok at least).

As for the memories....... there are at least 2 that are near some tough enemies. I would suggest getting better gear or at least more hearts/stamina  before trying to get them all.  I tapped out on this part and used a guide to find them all. I know the map pretty well and I'm 99% sure I couldn't find them all again without help.

I've got about 10 hearts and I'm working on the third stamina wheel.  I found the Master Sword but am not worthy yet.  I'm having fun trying to find the memory locations on my own but I'll probably use a guide at some point for the last couple.

best advice I can give you is
The most important skill to learn is reflecting guardian beams back at them.

I suck at this LOL.  Instant death most of the time.  I need practice.

I'd say if anything breaks the game, it is Amiibos. I think there are like 20 LoZ ones that give you really good loot, and when you can make your own amiibos with a cell phone, scanning the whole series daily gives you enough stuff to be wondering which high quality weapons to toss, and you always have enough cooking materials to make nothing but full recovery health/stamina potions, and add in whatever modifiers you want.

My son wants some Amiibo cards for his birthday next week so I bought some off of Amazon for $17.  Of course they are like 1" x 0.5" big... Oh well as long as they work.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: June 29, 2021, 08:16:35 pm »
I'm having fun trying to find the memory locations on my own but I'll probably use a guide at some point for the last couple.

You can talk to the traveler guy in town (he was the guy who asked you to take a picture of the faerie fountain) and he'll give you hints on where to go.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2021, 10:24:39 am »
I'm having fun trying to find the memory locations on my own but I'll probably use a guide at some point for the last couple.

You can talk to the traveler guy in town (he was the guy who asked you to take a picture of the faerie fountain) and he'll give you hints on where to go.

yeah, I have talked to him.  The way I seem to be playing this game is I have an objective in mind so I head towards it and then I see something interesting I want to climb or check out or maybe there's a pond and I check for metal stuff at the bottom - whatever - and then 2 hours later I stop playing and never accomplish what I had originally set out to do.  I've never played a game like this where just existing in the world is fun. 

I love the cooking too even though others seem to not like it - I'm constantly experimenting to try and get good dishes with extra hearts and long times.  I found Kilton and started swapping monster parts for Mon so I could get some ridiculous masks.  It's all nonsense but I love it.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: June 30, 2021, 12:15:57 pm »
My son wants some Amiibo cards for his birthday next week so I bought some off of Amazon for $17.  Of course they are like 1" x 0.5" big... Oh well as long as they work.

Yep, It's mostly just plastic, so size won't make a difference, as long as he doesn't lose em at that size.  :laugh:

I bought a bunch of hotel card blanks and rolled my own. I had to to satiate my wife's Animal Crossing addiction last year.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2021, 02:44:35 pm »
That's really cool.  Everything looks well organized too.  I looked into printing my own but I would have had to buy something to write the NFC tags so I gave up before even trying.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2021, 03:21:44 pm »
We got the mini set of BotW amiibo cards from Amazon for $15 or something. They work fine.

Still can't stand the weapon fragility, but we will probably get BotW 2 regardless.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2021, 07:11:24 pm »
That's really cool.  Everything looks well organized too.  I looked into printing my own but I would have had to buy something to write the NFC tags so I gave up before even trying.

Yeah, my wife's old phone had NFC writing function. Not sure how common that is on phones right now, but it worked out well.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2021, 11:32:17 pm »
I have some Galaxy Note 4 that can do it.  I had a bunch of keychains that I flashed but gave them away.

Oh well, this thread motivated me to crack open my copy on Switch and give it another chance.