Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Cheap Handheld emulators that run MAME?  (Read 35002 times)

Tiger-Heli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
Best Cheap Handheld emulators that run MAME?
« on: March 03, 2017, 11:05:40 am »
I did a search, but didn't get any real results that I was happy with ...

I was heavily into this board and scene about 10-years ago, but I have my computer set up running MAME, and pretty much left things at that.

Anyway, I know I could do this with an Android phone and MAME4Droid, or a Dingoo, but I am looking for something less expensive (than the Dingoo), and more specialized with genuine buttons.

This quest started when I found some old Game Boy Color consoles lying around the house.  That led to the GB Boy clone console and some Famiclones that I found on E-bay.

There is no real time frame for this.

What I am looking for:
- Around $15-30 shipped.
- Backlit screen.
- Headphone jack
- Preferably Li-ON rechargeable with 2-3 hours or more life
- Needs to play an old or new version of MAME - i.e. Tetris, Sky Shark, Tiger-Heli, Gyruss, Galaga, Galaxian, Space Invaders, Top Gunner etc. - Needs to be able to add roms either via USB or via SD Card
- Don't really care about pre-installed games - in-fact, the ability to remove pre-installed games and only show the games I installed would be desirable.
- Would be nice to have a way to select favorites and non-favorites, but not required.
- Would be nice to be able to load and play Visual Pinball - but not required.
- GB, NES, GBC Emulation support is a plus, but not required.
- Camera is a plus but not required.
- Video playback is a plus, but not required.
- WiFi connectivity is NOT desired.

I have a few options I am considering from E-bay, but E-bay often has typos and not all of the console work as advertised, and the sellers don't know anything about the product and they often don't have a model number.

Here are the options I am considering:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GP2X-CAANOO-Game-Console-/282374594376?hash=item41bed65f48:g:WQAAAOSw-RFYsjJj - This would work, but it is used, does not have a buy it now, is pricier that I want, and is not available new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-034-8GB-10000-Games-Built-In-Handheld-Video-Game-Console-Player-NES-GBA-MAME-/262719519427 - $30 This looks good, shows MAME in the description, but doesn't really show it supporting MAME games.
UPDATE: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Portable-Handheld-Game-Console-8gb-4-3-inch-mp4-player-Video-Game-Console-Free-1000-Games/32664891573.html - This LOOKS like the same item, but doesn't list MAME, only says GBA and NES, and implies that I can't even ADD those games - so you see why I am hesitant ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-4-3-039-039-Touch-Screen-MAME-Handheld-Video-Game-Console-Player-MP4-MP3-Gifts-/152155865502 - $32 Similar but not the same item.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-4-3-Touch-Screen-MAME-Games-Handheld-Video-Game-Console-Player-Kids-Toys-/222336291167?var=&hash=item33c446915f:m:m5Nr3RUAoSO5fhOzbJ_-mPA - Same from a different seller???

PAP Gameta
- Didn't watch this yet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/64Bit-4-1inch-PAP-Gameta-II-4G-Game-Consoles-2-4G-Wireless-Handheld-Video-Games-/112192231771?var=&hash=item1a1f2d995b:m:mFa2wBQ0z0vRdOZ2w13WhFA - $40 is a bit more than I want to pay.  YouTube comments imply it supports MAME.  I'm assuming 2.4G is for the headset and not for WiFi.  I was confused on support WinXP/7/Vista/2000 - I thought that meant I could install those OS's on it from an SD card, but I think it means I can connect it to a PC running those OS's. Has dual analog joysticks, but I don't know that anything I play would need that.

Subor S1000A

https://www.tinydeal.com/es/subor-s10000a-43-ultra-thin-touch-screen-4gb-game-console-p-123683.html - Looks promising - I saw Arcade in the screens when he was using it.  I can't find them on E-bay and the seller website is mostly in Spanish.

I have no problem with Chinese hardware - the issue I have is different sellers will sometimes be selling the same case with different firmware, and different E-bay sellers will use the description from a previous item for the one they have and most of the E-bay ads say Generic/unbranded - so just b/c the picture looks like the picture on YouTube, doesn't mean it is the same hardware.  (And many of the YouTube videos just cover unboxing and don't mention whether you can load and play MAME roms on it.)

I'm going to continue to research, but I'm ideally hoping someone can say "I bought this from this seller and it works great."

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:51:24 am by Tiger-Heli »
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Best Cheap Handheld emulators that run MAME?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:03:28 pm »
Around $15-30 shipped.
:laugh2:

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 12:13:26 pm »
Around $15-30 shipped.

seconded

anything you find in this range is going to be a real turd and of questionable quality. it may work...it may work once.

TBH, just get yourself an android tablet or phone and an "OTG cable" to plug in a controller (or use a ps3 bluetooth controller). heck, people have 3d printed clips to snap your tablet/phone  onto the controller to keep it all together.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Adjustable-Bluetooth-Android-Cell-Phone-Clamp-Game-Clip-Mount-Holder-Stand-for-Playstation-PS3-Controller/32595517351.html

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 01:26:10 pm »
Got nothing useful to add, but is nice to see TH around these parts again.

:cheers:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 02:03:45 pm »
Thanks Cheffo.

I'm pretty sure what I am looking for exists and at the price point I mentioned  ...

I almost bought this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Coolboy-RS-8-Built-260-different-games-Children-s-game-cool-child-card-game-8BIT-handheld/32620940825.html

It lacks a headphone jack, it lacks the ability to add games, it is NES emulation, but it includes PacMan, Galaxian, Galaga, 1942, and plays reasonably well - which is good enough for me.

I just need to know what is out there with a port of MAME or the ability to play added MAME roms - I'm pretty sure something exists.

http://lifehacker.com/5927902/put-an-awesome-portable-retro-gaming-system-this-weekend
http://ask.metafilter.com/211245/Recommend-a-portable-emulation-device

Here's some posts from 5 years ago about using a hacked PSP to do it, so I expect a Chinese copy of the PSP which is about right for them to be out should work fine as long as they have included arcade emulators or haven't locked the device for adding arcade emulators.

If it comes down to it, I can fine USED PSP's working on E-bay for about that price and could mod one of them to run MAME, but I was hoping for something more "straight out of the box."

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:16:12 pm by Tiger-Heli »
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 02:46:36 pm »
of course it exists. you can buy all kinds of stuff like this for 99 cents shipped. but again, it's literal crap.

we (as a business) bought 30 some units for our stacker machines that resembled a PSP. They played games (snes, sega, nes etc.) music and whatnot... they where in the $45 range bulk purchase price point (I believe the one off price was $59) I kept 5 of them for my use... for a 60 buck price even they where pretty janky and had a hard time playing some SNES games like f-zero at full speed. batteries where pretty weak lasting only about 30 or 40 minutes.

1 died due to battery issue (would no longer charge), 2 just turn on to a white screen, yet another would turn on, but get really hot in a power supply circuit. I may still have 1 left that I cobbled together from parts of the others that still works.

Ii mean buy what you want, but realize you definitely get what you pay for.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 03:11:27 pm »
I'd just get and hack an old PSP if I was suffering from the delusion that I want to play old console and arcade crap on a handheld.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 03:31:46 pm »
Unless anyone knows for sure, it looks like there are 4 possible options:

• The Dingoo or the Canooe will definitely do what I want, but a bit more than I want to spend.
  • I couldn't access all of the PSP hacking info.  It looks like I would have to install hacked firmware on the PSP.  It looks like after that, it will run Windows Emulators (which seems odd) - but there weren't comments on what emulators to install or which version work with it.  I could get a used PSP and test.
  • The Subor S1000A or PAP Gameta both seem to do about what I want and review comments say they support MAME ROMS. So I need to look more into those.
  • The less expensive PSP clone consoles (like the one that says MAME with one seller and says you can't add ANY additional games in the other seller's ad) MIGHT work, or might be able to get to work, but this is assuming that either they have a version of MAME pre-loaded, or they are using a hacked cloned PSP firmware which would allow it to be added.

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:49:20 am
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 03:33:54 pm »
I don't think that anything has surpassed the original Dingoo A320 for basic gaming ability versus cost in a pocket-sized handheld. I still have my A320 with Dingux from 2009 and even use it occasionally. You can still get a new Dingoo for about $90. Any device below that level is not going to offer a very good experience. PBJ's right, if you can pick up a used PSP cheap that would be your best bet.

Edit - I owned a Caanoo for a while too. Sold it and kept the Dingoo. It was a nice device, nice touch screen and decent power, but the analog stick was not well-suited to the selection of emulators available.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 03:36:19 pm by jeremymtc »

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 03:46:29 pm »
At least the discussion is getting somewhere ...

@lilshawn: I understand a little bit of what you mean.  I'm not looking to run heavy games like F-Zero, I'm looking at Sky Shark or Gyruss or similar.  This also won't see heavy use - it's mainly for when I am bored and waiting in the doctors office or the auto repair shop - neither of which happen often, so I don't want to spend a lot on it and am okay with sketchy reliability.

I guess my main question is how do I know which ones can run MAME roms is one seller says it will and one says it won't for what appears to be the same unit?

@pbj - I'll look a bit more into hacking a PSP ...

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 04:16:40 pm »
This discussion isn't getting anywhere. It's a delusion. The dingo will do what I want, but I want to spent 16-10% the price of it and have shipping included for free.

Here's some helpful advice if your just looking to pass some time waiting for appointments - if you must have real buttons, play the game boy that you have. You can get used games dirt cheap if you look around. I could play Tetris for hours.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 05:22:09 pm »
do what everyone else does when waiting for something.... shitpost on Reddit.

equlizer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2019, 02:56:48 am
  • All your base are belong to us
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 12:15:54 pm »
Get mame for your phone (preferably android) and use a ps3 gamepad.  I personally have a GPD XD but its a bit out of your price range  :banghead:

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 04:23:58 pm »
The gpd xd has overtaken my gba sp as favourite handheld ever. Definitely worth the cost of entry for mame and pretty much every console n64 and below.

Still play game boy games on my gba tho. Wouldn't be right otherwise...

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2022, 09:06:31 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 07:23:20 pm »
Nice to see you back around here!
Last year, I was looking for something similar, but at about 10x the budget you are looking for. I never found one that really worked for me. I was looking more for console emulators, and ended up just buying the consoles and flash carts. For the mobile use, I ended up buying a 3ds and vita (and now a switch, I guess). I planned to put emulators on them, but just never bothered. I just don't play games on the go much, and there is plenty available on those units to play when I need to. I still think it would be fun to play some MAME games on the go, but I just hated the experience. Either the controls, or the battery life killed it for me. My main issue with the chinese stuff is that the batteries always drained when not in use. It was always dead when i finally wanted to use it (maybe once every 2 to 4 weeks). I just turned on the vita for the first time in a month, and the battery is still full. That turns out to be the most important thing for me in a seldom used handheld. I think the vita has been hacked now too, and they are around $100 used. I know it is more than you are looking to spend, but the result will be much more enjoyable.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 09:46:46 am »
Everything posted has been spot-on.  I'm still researching, but I'm changing my focus a bit ...

I typed up a long reply, but I'm going to shorten it up some.

Keeping the GBC is not going to be an option - several reasons, but mainly the games I like weren't really ported to it.  Galaga and Galaxian were only in B/W, most vertical shooters weren't ported at all except 1942.  I could buy Tetris and Pac-Man and 1942 Carts, but now I am out $15 for the carts, plus rechargeable batteries for the GBC, plus the hassle of carrying a console and carts around with me.

I really don't need MAME, though - everything I want to play is ported to NES (not arcade perfect), and the Chinese consoles play NES well.  (And might or might not play MAME - I've read various reports.

I considering something like this for $30 - long review:
The D-pad supposedly sucks but for Tetris, Galaga, Gyruss, Pac-Man, I'm not sure that matters.

I realize the Chinese handhelds are a crapshoot - multiple companies using the same shell with different OS's loaded, the same company loading different OS and base games without changing the model number, sellers not updating the description - basically zero configuration control.

Either the controls, or the battery life killed it for me. My main issue with the chinese stuff is that the batteries always drained when not in use. It was always dead when i finally wanted to use it (maybe once every 2 to 4 weeks).

Interesting - that is something you don't see mentioned in reviews.  I have heard of people replacing batteries in the units and one of them showed a BP-4L which is a Nokia phone battery: https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-BP-4L-1500mAh-Battery-Communicator/dp/B0030T0USA

(Of course, I get the argument that if I spend $30 on a console and $15 on a battery replacement for it, and etc., I could have just bought a better used console).

Not sure anyone here will know, but is the battery drain b/c the original batteries supplied with the Chinese handheld are crap or are the Chinese batteries fine and there is some sort of parasitic drain from the console?

Getting a better battery isn't a big deal, but I'd hate to buy one and have two good batteries that don't work for anything else and a dead console.

For the most part, I will know when I have an appointment and will have to wait, and I can charge it up the night before, but I understand it is a hassle and something I wouldn't have considered, so I appreciate that!!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:48:28 am by Tiger-Heli »

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 01:52:04 pm »
If your budget is now $30, your getting close to a flash cart for the game boy color. I just did some work on a local friends arcade and traded for a flash cart for my daughters gameboy ds. She loves it. It just plays games, and plays them 100% as intended. So easy a 5 year old can use it.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 01:58:16 pm »
If your budget is now $30, your getting close to a flash cart for the game boy color. I just did some work on a local friends arcade and traded for a flash cart for my daughters gameboy ds. She loves it. It just plays games, and plays them 100% as intended. So easy a 5 year old can use it.

Actually, no, I looked into that also.  Maybe a few years ago.  There was an ELCheapo (actual name) flash cart for $35, but they are sold out, no promise of new ones, and no used ones on E-bay.  Everdrive GB's are still out there, but they are $88.

Neither one solves the problems though of:
- Not sure we have the consoles anymore.  They were in our yard sale, but we found out they would be worth more on E-bay, but I don't know if they have been sold yet.
- No backlit screen.
- Would need to buy rechargeable batteries.
- Most important, there are only maybe 4 or 5 games that I like for the GBC, there are at least 20-25 for the NES and 20-25 is fine.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 03:26:26 pm »

Actually, no, I looked into that also.  Maybe a few years ago.  There was an ELCheapo (actual name) flash cart for $35, but they are sold out, no promise of new ones, and no used ones on E-bay.  Everdrive GB's are still out there, but they are $88.

Neither one solves the problems though of:
- Not sure we have the consoles anymore.  They were in our yard sale, but we found out they would be worth more on E-bay, but I don't know if they have been sold yet.
- No backlit screen.
- Would need to buy rechargeable batteries.
- Most important, there are only maybe 4 or 5 games that I like for the GBC, there are at least 20-25 for the NES and 20-25 is fine.

They are not sold out. There is a few v1.9 left available for $53. https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/copy-of-elcheapo-sd-flash-cart-v1-9?variant=34709222602

This is the flash cart I received for my daughters DS. https://www.r43ds.org/categories/R4-3DS/ It’s only $20 without an sd card, which you may already have one you could use. I bought my daughters gameboy at a pawn shop for $30 and it included the power adapter and 3 games. For a possible total of $50, you would have more than enough fun with quality. I know it’s not $15, but seriously its the same price as taking my wife, 5 year old daughter, and 1 year old son (who eats off everyone else meals so he is free) out to chilis.

rhoelsch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2018, 08:13:16 pm
  • That...that thing's operational!
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 07:35:49 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0171JGYF2/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0156IC8M8/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

2 options I own. Not your ideal, since you'll have to use your phone, but your ideal is always more expensive than you want it to be.
Now witness the power of this FULLY OPERATIONAL Mame machine!

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 11:38:06 am »
The phone controller looks cool, but I don't have a phone and don't want Wi-Fi connectivity for this solution.
There are basically 2-3 viable options, and compromises with each of them.  (And the budget is roughly $30-40.  I saw a few consoles for $15, but most of those wouldn't let you add games and had $7-8 shipping.

The Gameboy Color is probably not an option for me.  I thought the El Cheapo carts were sold out - most of them are, but it's still $53 and a SD card and re-chargeable batteries for a non-backlit system that really only plays 1942, Tetris, and Pac-Man (of the games I would want to play on it).

The Nintendo DS is a bit of an option, and I didn't look into it that much.  I can find used ones in working condition around $20 and you showed me the cart for around $20.  I'm not saying there aren't games I would like for the DS, but I play mostly old arcade and vertical shooters, and I think the DS has mostly platform scrollers (Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario).  Those are good games, but I suck at them so they are boring.

The Chinese consoles play NES well, and if I can live with the D-pad and possible battery issues, there are a ton of games I like for it.  Also, it doesn't need a cart, and I can load the games into internal memory or a TF card.  Also, I like the compactness of the PSP format without a hinged screen.

I didn't go through a full list, but there are a lot of NES games that I would like to play in spare time: Tetris, Tiger-Heli, Flying Shark, Jackal, 1942, 1943, Twin Cobra, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac Man, Gyruss, Galaga, Galaxian, Space Invaders, Millipede, Arkanoid, Arkanoid II, Ikari Warriors (???), Joust, Q-bert.

Most of the Chinese consoles should support these and I can be happy with that list.

I isn't perfect, there are some games I would like that aren't supported: 1941, Centipede, Tempest, Star Castle, BatteZone, Frogger, Star Wars (Vector), Outrun, etc.  These might be supported by other consoles or the Chinese console might support them under MAME.

Right now, I'm leaning toward getting one of the Chinese consoles and trying it out, but still debating which to get.  If it doesn't work out, I'll let you know and you can say I told you so, If it does I'll let you know that too.  Either way, as you said, I'm out less than the cost of a dinner out.

As I said, I'm still researching and getting deep into the weeds, but the devices I am considering (least to most likely):

-   PAP K III - $40 - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/PAP-KIII-4-3-16-9-TFT-Screen-4GB-Handheld-mp5-Player-mp4-Player-Support-Camera/417677_1033821468.html - - I can't find these on E-bay.  AliExpress says it is 8-years old, but I'm not sure if that is when it was introduced on how old the ones they have in stock are.  I'm considering it b/c it is the only one I can find that officially says it supports MAME .zip game files, although it is unclear whether it means the entire MAME set or just CPS1/CPS2 (i.e. is it running a clone of MAME or FBA).  The case looks similar to the $30 ones I am considering, but … Software says Game Prince and looks a bit cheesy, but also looks like you might be able to remove some of the pre-installed games if you want to.

-   PAP Gameta - $40 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/64Bit-4-1inch-PAP-Gameta-II-4G-Game-Consoles-2-4G-Wireless-Handheld-Video-Games-/112192231771?var=&hash=item1a1f2d995b:m:mFa2wBQ0z0vRdOZ2w13WhFA - Probably the latest version of the above, uses the same Game Prince OS.  Adds a second analog joystick, but I don't think ANY of these games take advantage of that.

-   $30 - Goes by a lot of different names on E-bay - A4350, 10000 games, X6, Gameplayer, etc.  Basically the same as the video I posted earlier.  Some have the volume buttons on the front and some have them on the bottom.

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2022, 09:06:31 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 11:48:55 am »
It is way over the budget you want to spend, but I think a Gameboy Advance with the Everdrive GBA would work well for you. If I remember right, you can play all of the NES games off of that cart on the GBA.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 02:45:45 pm »
The phone controller looks cool, but I don't have a phone and don't want Wi-Fi connectivity for this solution.
There are basically 2-3 viable options, and compromises with each of them.  (And the budget is roughly $30-40.  I saw a few consoles for $15, but most of those wouldn't let you add games and had $7-8 shipping.

The Gameboy Color is probably not an option for me.  I thought the El Cheapo carts were sold out - most of them are, but it's still $53 and a SD card and re-chargeable batteries for a non-backlit system that really only plays 1942, Tetris, and Pac-Man (of the games I would want to play on it).

The Nintendo DS is a bit of an option, and I didn't look into it that much.  I can find used ones in working condition around $20 and you showed me the cart for around $20.  I'm not saying there aren't games I would like for the DS, but I play mostly old arcade and vertical shooters, and I think the DS has mostly platform scrollers (Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario).  Those are good games, but I suck at them so they are boring.

The Chinese consoles play NES well, and if I can live with the D-pad and possible battery issues, there are a ton of games I like for it.  Also, it doesn't need a cart, and I can load the games into internal memory or a TF card.  Also, I like the compactness of the PSP format without a hinged screen.

I didn't go through a full list, but there are a lot of NES games that I would like to play in spare time: Tetris, Tiger-Heli, Flying Shark, Jackal, 1942, 1943, Twin Cobra, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac Man, Gyruss, Galaga, Galaxian, Space Invaders, Millipede, Arkanoid, Arkanoid II, Ikari Warriors (???), Joust, Q-bert.

Most of the Chinese consoles should support these and I can be happy with that list.

I isn't perfect, there are some games I would like that aren't supported: 1941, Centipede, Tempest, Star Castle, BatteZone, Frogger, Star Wars (Vector), Outrun, etc.  These might be supported by other consoles or the Chinese console might support them under MAME.

Right now, I'm leaning toward getting one of the Chinese consoles and trying it out, but still debating which to get.  If it doesn't work out, I'll let you know and you can say I told you so, If it does I'll let you know that too.  Either way, as you said, I'm out less than the cost of a dinner out.

As I said, I'm still researching and getting deep into the weeds, but the devices I am considering (least to most likely):

-   PAP K III - $40 - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/PAP-KIII-4-3-16-9-TFT-Screen-4GB-Handheld-mp5-Player-mp4-Player-Support-Camera/417677_1033821468.html - - I can't find these on E-bay.  AliExpress says it is 8-years old, but I'm not sure if that is when it was introduced on how old the ones they have in stock are.  I'm considering it b/c it is the only one I can find that officially says it supports MAME .zip game files, although it is unclear whether it means the entire MAME set or just CPS1/CPS2 (i.e. is it running a clone of MAME or FBA).  The case looks similar to the $30 ones I am considering, but … Software says Game Prince and looks a bit cheesy, but also looks like you might be able to remove some of the pre-installed games if you want to.

-   PAP Gameta - $40 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/64Bit-4-1inch-PAP-Gameta-II-4G-Game-Consoles-2-4G-Wireless-Handheld-Video-Games-/112192231771?var=&hash=item1a1f2d995b:m:mFa2wBQ0z0vRdOZ2w13WhFA - Probably the latest version of the above, uses the same Game Prince OS.  Adds a second analog joystick, but I don't think ANY of these games take advantage of that.

-   $30 - Goes by a lot of different names on E-bay - A4350, 10000 games, X6, Gameplayer, etc.  Basically the same as the video I posted earlier.  Some have the volume buttons on the front and some have them on the bottom.

You can run emulators of the ds. I noticed many games you listed have an nes port and would play well on the ds.

http://www.howtogeek.com/119273/how-to-turn-your-nintendo-ds-into-a-retro-game-machine/amp/

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 05:12:46 pm »
You can run emulators of the ds. I noticed many games you listed have an nes port and would play well on the ds.

http://www.howtogeek.com/119273/how-to-turn-your-nintendo-ds-into-a-retro-game-machine/amp/

Excellent guide, but I don't have a Nintendo DS.  I might or might not still have a Gameboy Color, and I don't think that will work on it.  So I'd have to buy a used DS for maybe $30 and a flash cart for maybe $25 to load the same games that the Chinese consoles play for $30 - $40.

It is way over the budget you want to spend, but I think a Gameboy Advance with the Everdrive GBA would work well for you. If I remember right, you can play all of the NES games off of that cart on the GBA.

LOL in an ironic way, you may be closer to correct than you realize ...

First off, the Everdrive is around $100 and the GBA is around $30-40 and a bit bulkier than I would like.  If I were going to spend close to that, I'd just get a GPX XD and throw MAME on it and be done with it.

However, I noticed that most of the Chinese consoles play GBA and NES and GBC Roms, but only a couple of homebrew GB Roms.  I thought that was odd, but if they are running a GBA emulator, that would explain a lot.

So - If I can get past the button issues and possible battery issues, the Chinese consoles give me GBA and NES support, a flashcart (4GB or 8GB internal storage, some used and TF Card support), and the PSP form factor for $30-40 for new hardware.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 05:17:32 pm »
If it takes you a week to decide how to spend 30 bucks you might want to take up a different hobby. ::)

knave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 07:07:27 pm »
You got me curious. I did a bit of looking and there are several in the $15 - $30 range.  Some claim to run a version of Linux. Ebay had some with NES games already.

The model MGS3501 doesn't seem to be out yet but looks interesting...it has a little brother at gearbest. I have no idea if you can modify the roms.

ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Bit-Retro-2-5-COLOR-LCD-150-Video-Games-Portable-Handheld-Console-BLUE-/252322799153?hash=item3abf9c5e31:g:w2IAAOSwP~tW6erC

GB

http://www.gearbest.com/handheld-games/pp_401521.html?wid=21

Buyer beware...

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 07:24:35 pm »
I have that first one (the 8 bit retro rs-1). Picked it up for a tenner last year on a whim.

It's actually a nice little bit of kit. I can't really comment on battery life as I've only ran it for an hour or so but I was pretty impressed for the cash. Screen looks good and controls were ok. I'm not an expert on the NES but the games seem to play pretty well.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2017, 07:28:43 am »
If it takes you a week to decide how to spend 30 bucks you might want to take up a different hobby. ::)
Buyer beware...

These two things.  These are generic.  It isn't like picking a car or a shirt and deciding to buy it or not.  The unit you see on E-bay probably doesn't have a review video with it, the YouTube video of the same unit with the same case and writing on it might not have the same games installed and capabilities, and there are lots to choose from.  I don't mind taking a shot at $30 and maybe being disappointed, but I don't want to spend $30 and find out it has everything except this one thing I wanted that this other one might have and pretty soon I've spent $150 on four consoles I don't like and one that works well.

That RS-1 is probably made by a company called CoolBaby.  It doesn't look like you can add roms to it, and I'd prefer something with a Li-ON battery rather than relying on AAA rechargeables.

I hadn't heard of the Oplayer - earlier version: - Design looks good, but still using batteries (or AC - USB).  Built-in games don't look very good. 2.3 or 2.7-inch screen will be small. IF it is actually running Linux, and IF it is rooted, and IF the OS is accessible via USB, I could load the Linux port of MAME on it, but those are very big IF's.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 05:26:05 pm »
i keep coming back to the thought of a used PSP. Its a bit above your budget as you stated, but seems to be a good candidate. My slim is modded, I use NEO geo emu/MAME emu and purchased all the "HIT" titles from Atari/Konami etc etc and ripped them to the SD cards and I couldnt be happier.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 10:46:06 am »
To be honest, I think you're 10 years too late.

The Chinese handheld consoles you linked to, do have a certain charm, and they're pretty good value for money if you can put up with the rough edges. But I absolutely would not bother trying to hack one of them.

A few years ago, when the first gen RPi had just come out, I bought a cheap Android media player from Ebay. On paper, it appeared to be much better value than the RPi and it shared the same chipset as one of the RPi's competitors. So I figured I could easily hack it to run Linux.

Oh how wrong I was. I rapidly found myself in a whole world of pain. I had to resort to asking for help on forums frequented by the hardcore Linux kernel hackers. And to cut a long story short, I didn't get any (some of Linux guys are amazingly obnoxious). So I had to work everything out from first principles. I had to learn how to cross-compile a kernel from scratch, build my own bootloader, etc. It was days of work, and was absolutely not a good use of my limited free time. I did eventually get everything working apart from wireless, but by then I'd lost interest. Also, a few months later, the RPi2 appeared which had better specs than my Android box.

Basically, it was a waste of my time. The trouble with these unbranded direct from China items is that they have such short production runs that there's never any time for a hacking community to build up around them. And obviously, there's no chance of getting any help from the manufacturer. So you're basically on your own.

For just a little bit more money, you have a wide choice of devices available that will give you a far better MAME experience, and there'll be far less hacking involved.

By all means buy one of these handheld consoles. But enjoy it for what it is – a cheap and cheerful throwback to an era before tablets, smartphones, the Raspberry Pi, Nintendo Classic, etc.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 11:37:49 am »
As usual, the advice is spot on.

10-years ago, the Dingo A320 was around $40 and lots of info to loading Linux on it.  The Gemai A330 was also a good alternative.  I assumed things would keep moving in that direction of cheaper and better, but it doesn't seem to have played out that way.

I'm changed after my initial post - originally, I was looking for something with a bootleg of MAME on it, or something I could install MAME4All to.  Most of the games I like were ported to NES and most of the consoles have decent NES support, so that is what I am looking for.

The modded PSP is a good option, but I don't want something with Wi-Fi connectivity, so it is out.

Essentially, I am looking between a couple of different options:

- http://www.jxdofficial.com/3-0-inch-retro-game-handheld-player-for-sega-game-console-built-in-100-sega-games-16-bit-video-game-console-mp3-mp4-console.html - It looks like it has a proper D-pad (small screen, though) and supports FC (not sure what that is) NES, GBA, and GBC games.  I asked the seller about that, b/c https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KV6EC7O/# - looks like the same thing and only supports .smd and .bin (Sega MegaDrive and Sega Genesis games), but I can't tell if the first item is the same as the Amazon tablet or a cheap knock-off of it with different firmware and software - but I have a sneaky feeling it is the same thing and doesn't really support NES.

Otherwise - One of the Chinese 4.3-inch screen, $20-30 ones - not sure which.  These seem to have two or three different variants of operating systems, but they all seem to run NES (which is really all I need), GBA, SNES, GBC, (CPS1 and CPS2 and NeoGeo - probably hacked Final Burn Alpha), possibly SEGA Megadrive and SEGA Genesis.  None of these seem to have a decent D-pad (mostly 4-buttons, perhaps the analog stick will work), and quality seems hit or miss - but I think it is poor QC.  (i.e. I don't think the gameplayer one is great and the X6 ones are bad, I think some of the gameplayers break down and some of the X6's break down).  (And if I get one that says "Hello" at startup, I have that line from the video ingrained in my head "You push start and it says hello b/c it's a polite piece of Chinese rubbish and then you wait and it says Welcome and you really wish it didn't.)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 11:55:02 am »
Seriously. Buy something. Anything.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 01:22:02 pm »

- http://www.jxdofficial.com/3-0-inch-retro-game-handheld-player-for-sega-game-console-built-in-100-sega-games-16-bit-video-game-console-mp3-mp4-console.html - It looks like it has a proper D-pad (small screen, though) and supports FC (not sure what that is) NES, GBA, and GBC games.  I asked the seller about that, b/c https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KV6EC7O/# - looks like the same thing and only supports .smd and .bin (Sega MegaDrive and Sega Genesis games), but I can't tell if the first item is the same as the Amazon tablet or a cheap knock-off of it with different firmware and software - but I have a sneaky feeling it is the same thing and doesn't really support NES.

I've actually had my eye on one of those Sega handhelds for a while now. I'm pretty sure they only support Sega Genesis games. But if that's not a deal-breaker, then I think one of them would be an excellent choice.

Seriously, with 100 games built in, plus the ability to add any number of extra Genesis game via the SD card, why would you even want to hack it?

You can also get it for a lot cheaper if you shop around.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/3-Inch-Hanldheld-Game-Console-Video-Player-Portable-Game-Console-For-Sega-Mega-Drive-Game-For/1977061_32799119500.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.ngJCXh

The only negative issue I've heard is that apparently the sound is a bit off.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 07:41:03 am »
Seriously. Buy something. Anything.

I hear you!!!

I've actually had my eye on one of those Sega handhelds for a while now. I'm pretty sure they only support Sega Genesis games. But if that's not a deal-breaker, then I think one of them would be an excellent choice.

That MIGHT be a deal-breaker.  I mostly like vertical shooters.  There are a LOT of those that I like for the NES.  I'm not great at and don't that much like platform scrollers.  There are a LOT of those for Genesis.

NES gets me Tetris, 1942, Sky Shark, Tiger-Heli, Gunsmoke, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss etc. Genesis gets me OutRun, Tetris, and Galaga and Space Invaders.

MAME would get me battlezone and Tempest and Asteroids.

The 4-inch screens play NES and possibly Genesis and don't need an SD card, but controls are spotty.  The Sega handheld plays Genesis and seems to have good controls and MIGHT play NES. 

That is what I am between.

Seriously, with 100 games built in, plus the ability to add any number of extra Genesis game via the SD card, why would you even want to hack it?

See previous reply, the only thing being considered for Hacking would be a Sony PSP, b/c that is a well-known hack that allows other emulators to be used/added.

You can also get it for a lot cheaper if you shop around.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/3-Inch-Hanldheld-Game-Console-Video-Player-Portable-Game-Console-For-Sega-Mega-Drive-Game-For/1977061_32799119500.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.ngJCXh

The only negative issue I've heard is that apparently the sound is a bit off.

Thank you - not only is it cheaper, but that link also says it uses a Li-On battery (I wasn't sure) and that it supports NES and GBA games.  But Amazon says it only supports Genesis.  So I know it isn't just a typo on JXD's site.  I just don't know if this is a revised version that added NES support, or if the description is inaccurate ...

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 08:37:22 am »

Dunno about price, but a second hand GP2X might be useful (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 11:35:00 am »
Yep, a second hand GPX2Wiz or Dingoo A320 or A330 or Gemei A330 would be about perfect, but they are hard to find and a niche product, so they tend to be pricey if you do find them.

Thinking more about what I said before.  I'd rather have NES support and spotty controls and POSSIBLE Genesis support than good controls and Genesis support and POSSIBLE NES support.

I also ran across this from the same company as the Genesis console: https://www.amazon.com/Atgames-Flashback-Ultimate-Portable-Player-Built/dp/B01N64HVUE/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N64HVUE&pd_rd_r=D7TMC03GS2FXF2PYQCT3&pd_rd_w=quDLh&pd_rd_wg=II2wF&psc=1# - shows Frogger on the box but doesn't list it.  That would give me Centipede, BattleZone, Pole Position, etc. but overall I'm not that into the 2600.

Regarding the Sega console - Everything semi-authoritative that I find says in only support Genesis Roms in .bin format.  http://web.archive.org/web/20160615080841/http://red022.redmedia.com.tw/ezcatfiles/red022/img/img/155/ArcadeUltimatePortable80-UserManual.pdf - There have been several iterations of this - i.e. there was a 16-game version and then an 80-game version and then a 100-game version.  If you look, that one has 40 Sega games and 40 "Arcade" games.  I think the Arcade stuff might be homebrew NES or GBA, which is why they say it supports those, but that is quite deceiving.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 06:15:03 pm »
The modded PSP is a good option, but I don't want something with Wi-Fi connectivity, so it is out.

It does have switch, so you never even have to have it on.

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:49:20 am
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2017, 01:54:50 am »
Yep, a second hand GPX2Wiz or Dingoo A320 or A330 or Gemei A330 would be about perfect, but they are hard to find and a niche product, so they tend to be pricey if you do find them.

Check your private messages :)

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2017, 08:50:23 am »
Check your private messages :)

Appreciated and replied!

norton386

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2017, 07:49:28 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 08:40:07 am »
First time sorry my few english, i am spanish.

I am waiting for the resolution because i am thinking for buy one handseld for young boy.

Thanks and sorry