Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PCSX2 with steering wheel  (Read 19782 times)

jevansoh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2023, 04:56:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
PCSX2 with steering wheel
« on: March 02, 2017, 09:14:56 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to get my G920 steering wheel to work.  I downloaded the qemu plugin and noticed it's installed in the USB section and not the input/controller section.  Is that normal?

More importantly, I can click the test button and that works and I can assign all the functions and it reads them fine, but when I launch a game, no button on the steering wheel does anything.

It's as if it's not even hooked up.  The plug-in test works, the buttons are assigned properly, etc, so it seems like it should work but it doesn't.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--J
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:21:03 am by jevansoh »

jevansoh

• Offline Offline
Re: PCSX2 with steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 01:17:43 am »
In an effort to try and figure things out for myself while waiting for replies here, I've come up with some new information.

First, the controller plugin tab lists LilyPad as the plugin.  If I go into that plugin/LilyPad and set my wheel up there, it works/responds.

The Qemu plugin which is specifically for Logitech wheels like my G920 is under USB and not Controllers??

If I don't configure my wheel under LilyPad, it doesn't work.

If I configure it under LilyPad THEN configure it under Qemu, it works, but it will work whether or not Qemu is configured at all, so I don't think it's running the controller plugin Qemu at all.

How do I get Qemu to be the sole controller plugin for my wheel?

I can configure Qemu fine, the buttons respond in the configureation screen, I can test the wheel and it moves fine, etc.  It's just once in game, the only controls that work are ones configured under LilyPad.

I'd really appreciate some help getting this all sorted out.

Thanks so much,

--J

jevansoh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 01:23:17 am »
I'd also like your input as to whether or not PCSX2 is the best PS2 emulator for driving games or if you have any other recommendations for other emulators.

Thanks a bunch,

--J

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 05:25:39 pm »
I'd also like your input as to whether or not PCSX2 is the best PS2 emulator for driving games or if you have any other recommendations for other emulators.

Thanks a bunch,

--J

I've been playing the living crap out of Gran Turismo 4 over the last few months and all I can say is you haven't lived until you've played the game via the Qemu patch with a Direct Drive FFB wheel. The FFB in this game is extremely well done especially for a 10+something yr old game! Take the Formula GT car out to Nordschleife to see what i mean. If I were you Jevan I would shitcan that Logitech G920 wheel and pick up a Leo Bodnar DD or OSW DD wheel. It is a whole new dimension in force feedback! Buy it today and get at me when it arrives bro.

jevansoh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 07:39:36 pm »
I'm not so happy with my 920.  I will look into that wheel.  I wanted to buy Logitech because I thought it would be the most compatible with all the emulators, Mame, etc, but I've had nothing but problems.  Not all of my problems are with the wheel itself, though.

I'm trying to understand the plugin.  LilyPad still exists as the plugin under controllers.  Is it that way on your system, too?

Do you have LilyPad configured?  If I don't configure it, nothing works.  No button does anything.  Even with the plug-in (Qemu) totally configured.  So how did you set yours up? 

Does your Qemu show up under USB?  Do you have to do something or click something to activate it?

I just can't seem to get it working on its own.  I "must" configure LilyPad for anything to work.

I'd really appreciate it if you could detail your set up and how you went about it.

Thanks,

--J

PS  Do you use your wheel with any other emulators, Mame, etc?  Any troubles getting it set up since it isn't Logitech?

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 05:24:04 am »
this info I made a long time ago is still valid. What game are you trying to play? only the ones listed below officially supported wheels. If you want to use your wheel are a controller for games that did not support wheels, use lillypad but it wont be the same. Otherwise you need to use qemu to emulate the usb wheels driving force and DFGT (Thats why qemu appear under usb, its pretending to be one of those two usb wheels). some older racing game only accept the driving force emulation setting

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137565.0.html

jevansoh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 03:44:28 pm »
So you are saying that unless the game has "in game" support for a wheel, the USB/Qemu won't work and it will be using the LilyPad controls, right?

"IF" the game (one of the ones on your list) has in game support for wheels, then it will switch to the Qemu plugin and use those settings.

Do I understand that correctly?

Thanks,

--J

jevansoh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 03:46:17 pm »
I guess where I'm confused is how do I know the game is using the Qemu plugin and not LilyPad.  How do I make certain it IS using Qemu and not LilyPad?

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 03:32:32 pm »
So you are saying that unless the game has "in game" support for a wheel, the USB/Qemu won't work and it will be using the LilyPad controls, right?

"IF" the game (one of the ones on your list) has in game support for wheels, then it will switch to the Qemu plugin and use those settings.

Do I understand that correctly?

Thanks,

--J

correct. if you want to test that its working, try Batte gear 2. If detect the emulated Driving Force, it will show a steering wheel icons in the menu (See photo in the other post) instead of the regular dual shock controller

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 04:42:37 am »
Jevan,

What SegaOutrun said is 100% correct, coach!

You don't need LilyPad at all. Infact, don't even bother playing racing games that don't have native support for Logitech steering wheels, because they're not worth playing. Stick to games that have "in-game" USB wheel support like GT3 and 4, Battle Gear, Enthusia, OutRunSP and so on.

Qemu has nothing to do with the LilyPad plugin. You can disable LilyPad. The Qemu already has options to map any button and steering/pedal axis to whatever you want. Just click on the configure menu but make sure you set your options to "Wheel" and the type to either Driving Force Pro(preferable) or Driving Force. I'm playing GT4 without issue. The force feedback is absurdly good! Qemu doesn't care what kind of wheel you have, it uses DirectInput which means any wheel will work.

However, did I read correctly that you have a G920? Wait....isn't that the Xbox One version of the wheel? Hmm, if so I've heard about several people having issues with that wheel performing correctly in Windows. Definitely look into something else mate. Like I said the Bodnar, the OSW or even the Accuforce are all Direct Drive wheels and they're in a whole new dimension! They're a bit more expensive but by God they're worth it!

jevansoh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 12:33:44 am »
I'd like to know how to disable LilyPad because I just can't figure it out.

At least that would ensure Qemu was working properly on the games it works on.

The emulator won't start up without LilyPad, though.

Do you know how to disable it?

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 06:29:55 am »
I'd like to know how to disable LilyPad because I just can't figure it out.

At least that would ensure Qemu was working properly on the games it works on.

The emulator won't start up without LilyPad, though.

Do you know how to disable it?

1)Open the emulator

2)Click on plugin/bios selector.

3)Click on the "pad" dropdown menu and select "xpad 0.02" plugin, instead of LilyPad

4)???

5)Profit

Once again though, LilyPad does not interfere with QEMU2. Alternatively, and to be on the safe side, you can simply keep LilyPad as the selected plugin, then go into the LilyPad config menu and eliminate all Playstation 2 gamepad button or axis mappings to all of your devices, leaving everything blank. This way nothing will get in the way of whatever you have mapped in QEMU2. I have my setup configured this way and it works just fine. Doesn't interfere with my wheel mappings in QEMU2 at all.