Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Frontend Blues....  (Read 3077 times)

kaptainsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 01:30:53 pm
    • Swamp-Ass
Frontend Blues....
« on: March 02, 2017, 04:59:43 pm »
Hello,

I was hoping someone could help...

I have been a Mamer for a while and have had a Dynamo cabinet with mame for 15 years or so.  Recently I put a new pc (with Windoze10) in the old cabinet installed mame 183 and the roms, etc.   Mame and the cabinet and controls, etc.,  work fine but the problem is, I can't get a frontend installed that will either install or work any longer.  The problem being the old favorites either become outdated (abandoned) and won't work or will no longer install.

Example;
I've always liked Mala but that stopped working for me a long time ago so I switched to Attractmode, which I like, but I can no longer get it to generate romlists with the full romnames?

The thing is I just want a simple frontend that works easily, like Attractmode, in the cabinet/arcade environment.  I want nothing to do with Ultraspin or something too complicated.  Just want a simple menu and play.  I used to love that simplicity of Ultramame, but that also stopped working long ago.  I also tried installing mamewah but get installation errors everytime.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

thanks.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:01:36 pm by kaptainsteve »

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
Re: Frontend Blues....
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 05:08:57 pm »
GameEx Arcade Edition

kaptainsteve

• Offline Offline
    • Swamp-Ass
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 05:25:29 pm »
Thanks.
Ya, got GameEx Arcade up and running fine.
Only problem is I also like to have NES, SNES and N64 to run off Mame/Mess.
I installed regular game ex but it's not updated enough to get NES, SNES and N64 working inside of mame.  Installing separate emulators for each is a RPITA.
Thanks.
I just wish that AtractMode would get fixed up.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 05:29:10 pm »
Thanks.
Ya, got GameEx Arcade up and running fine.
Only problem is I also like to have NES, SNES and N64 to run off Mame/Mess.
I installed regular game ex but it's not updated enough to get NES, SNES and N64 working inside of mame.  Installing separate emulators for each is a RPITA.
Thanks.
I just wish that AtractMode would get fixed up.

Whats your problem with AttractMode? I have it running perfectly on multiple machines running Windows 10, and develop for it + test on Mac OS X.

kaptainsteve

• Offline Offline
    • Swamp-Ass
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:47:39 pm »
What's my problem with Attractmode?

Attractmode is at this point my favorite frontend, but I can't for the life of me get it generate a romlist with full names of the games and not the actual file name of the rom?

I'm glad you are a developer for AM.  Maybe you can help me then. 

Did something change in Mame or Attractmode that has made making romlists so difficult?

So,

Can anyone please explain to me like I'm a 7 year old, step by step a nice and easy way to generate a romlist that I can use for Attractmode that uses the real full names of the roms and not the rom.zip names?

And think about it, if this is the way it must be explained, then this part of AM is probably not as user friendly as it could be.  Remember, everyone is not a developer or code writer.  Some of us are just Mame and arcade hobbyists who want to get our cabinets running nicely without taking up computer script analyzing and writing part time..

Thanks for your time and replies....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 05:59:21 pm by kaptainsteve »

djrobx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2017, 02:26:48 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 06:41:59 pm »
It sounds like perhaps your emulator config file for mame has gotten messed up.  Try switching the info source to "listxml".

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 08:17:07 pm »
What's my problem with Attractmode?

Attractmode is at this point my favorite frontend, but I can't for the life of me get it generate a romlist with full names of the games and not the actual file name of the rom?

I'm glad you are a developer for AM.  Maybe you can help me then. 

Did something change in Mame or Attractmode that has made making romlists so difficult?

So,

Can anyone please explain to me like I'm a 7 year old, step by step a nice and easy way to generate a romlist that I can use for Attractmode that uses the real full names of the roms and not the rom.zip names?

And think about it, if this is the way it must be explained, then this part of AM is probably not as user friendly as it could be.  Remember, everyone is not a developer or code writer.  Some of us are just Mame and arcade hobbyists who want to get our cabinets running nicely without taking up computer script analyzing and writing part time..

Thanks for your time and replies....

I hope you know I wasn’t being sarcastic or insulting when I asked what your problem was with attract mode. Just trying to help.

Try this:

• tab -> emulators -> mame -> executable and confirm correct path
  • tab -> emulators -> mame -> info source/scraper and enter „listxml“
  • tab -> emulators -> mame -> generate rom collection/rom list and hit enter

Attract mode should now know the correct titles of the roms. A layout that uses magic tokens of Title or Name, or any other method of grabbing the rom name will display it. Feel free to pm me if you need any further assistance with it. I’d be more than glad to help.

ps my latest layout is flavors if you want to check it out. It’s not the most eye catchy, but its simple and should work well at any res, orientation and monitor type.

kaptainsteve

• Offline Offline
    • Swamp-Ass
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 07:08:13 pm »
Switched to GameEx... no problems with that frontend.
It's really the only one that seems to work flawlessly and without major hiccups or set up issues.
Thanks....

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 11:19:45 pm »
I just wanna buy keilmillerjr a beer out of sympathy for this.  I know what that's like; you did all a person could do.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 10:24:58 am »
I just wanna buy keilmillerjr a beer out of sympathy for this.  I know what that's like; you did all a person could do.

I tried to help. No worrys. Wouldn't be on this hobby if I didn't like it.

Btw- this just finally happened. Windows 10 on my neo geo, with attractmode and mame 0183. Maybe I will do a setting up guide or video for others. Surprised no one commented on my hiding win 10 tutorial I made here.

I need to adjust my layout a bit. For some reason test is a little different than when developing on my Mac. So ---smurfing--- cool though.

tonesmalone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2018, 04:21:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Frontend Blues....
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 02:13:12 pm »
RetroFE with my GLaDOS theme :). After having tested multiple FEs - RetroFE is by far the best. Use it with RocketLauncher, and you'll have the best setup possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 02:17:21 pm by tonesmalone »