Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What is the best way to avoid the Dell logo on my monitor at startup  (Read 5091 times)

muell67

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 02:12:01 pm
I recently built a Centipede cabinet I was planning to put a 60-in-1 board in but I came a cross a centipede board so I went with that. My monitor is a dell ultra sharp 2007fp 20.1"  and Im using a cga to vga board for the video. Everything looks great except the dell logo that comes on every time I turn the machine on and because of the way the signal comes from the centipede board the monitor is mounted upside down therefore the logo is upside down. So every time I turn my machine on Im greated by a upside down dell logo before the game starts. Any Ideas on how to avoid that?
I don't know if you know this but I'm sort of a big deal. I own many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: What is the best way to avoid the Dell logo on my monitor at startup
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 05:22:07 pm »
Not so much.  Changing digital branding on LCDs is not something I've seen done, you'd have to get the LCD into some kind of program mode and hook it up to another computer in a way that let you poke around the screen's bios I imagine.  I'm totally talking out of ---my bottom---, but in a somewhat informed way. 

or, poke around the menus and see if there is an option (there isn't).

If you're that OCD and need to never see it again build a rolling panel blind that is matte black, on rails between the bezel and the monitor.  Use an micro-controller and some servos/steppers.  Program it to roll up some many seconds after power on and to roll down at power off.  You'll need some capacitor in there somewhere so it can have enough charge to roll down at power off.  And limit switches so it doesn't burn out. 

Or just blink real hard when you power it on.

Or put a curtain over the front with a pull handle like on an old school toilet and pull the curtain back after you've powered on. 

Or...

gravitar80

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2017, 02:08:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 05:32:38 pm »
Just leave it on and never turn it off. The increased electricity bills are a small price to pay to avoid looking at an upside down Dell logo, and it'll keep your high scores intact too.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 06:26:10 pm »
You're running an LCD with a real board and you're worried about the Dell logo?

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

muell67

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 07:16:02 pm »

I knew that was coming. I know it's not a popular opinion but on the older games especially those that are predominantly black backgrounds I actually like the way LCD's look better. Now when you get to the mid 80's and 90's games scanlines are a must.
I don't know if you know this but I'm sort of a big deal. I own many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 07:18:11 pm »

I knew that was coming. I know it's not a popular opinion but on the older games especially those that are predominantly black backgrounds I actually like the way LCD's look better. Now when you get to the mid 80's and 90's games scanlines are a must.
I'm just messing with you. But honestly, if you're running an LCD, 15 seconds of an upside Dell logo is the price you're going to have to pay.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 08:07:04 pm »

I'm just messing with you. But honestly, if you're running an LCD, 15 seconds of an upside Dell logo is the price you're going to have to pay.
No! Not good enough!!! I gave solutions. Reasonable, viable, solutions. No go. Fix.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 08:54:03 pm »
just leave the lcd on

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

muell67

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 11:59:05 pm »
just leave the lcd on

ed

Yeah I'm thinking that's my best option I just thought someone might have come up with a way to take it off. It was worth checking.
Second best option the curtain idea.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 12:07:09 am »
well as nice as i am and can be
99% of lcd's go to "standby" when sig is removed "ie" standby
but come right right back on..trick is to leave it pluged in and powered  :on:
let the sig. turn it to :stand-by:

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

MKFan4Life

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 08:18:00 am
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 02:34:38 pm »
I recently built a Centipede cabinet I was planning to put a 60-in-1 board in but I came a cross a centipede board so I went with that. My monitor is a dell ultra sharp 2007fp 20.1"  and Im using a cga to vga board for the video. Everything looks great except the dell logo that comes on every time I turn the machine on and because of the way the signal comes from the centipede board the monitor is mounted upside down therefore the logo is upside down. So every time I turn my machine on Im greated by a upside down dell logo before the game starts. Any Ideas on how to avoid that?

If you can tap into the wiring for your monitor's backlight, you can wire a circuit to delay the backlight from powering on until the logo is gone. 

For instance, if your monitor takes 11-12 Volts DC to power up the inverter, use an item like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-12V-Delay-OFF-0-10s-Adjustable-Time-Switch-Control-Relay-Module-TA-SN46-/111879314916?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
which will delay the input voltage to the inverter (inverter boosts up the voltage to whatever the backlight uses) and just make sure the delay is set long enough to bypass seeing the logo.

The monitor shouldn't be aware the backlight is not on yet.

That's common input voltage for a lot of CCFL.  If the backlight is LED and uses a different input voltage, just build or buy a circuit with an input voltage to match your monitor's specs.

Should work, right?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 02:44:25 pm »
Should. But not as well as a curtain ;)

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 07:20:21 am
  • Load "1980"
    • retro.zombiesbyte.com/projects
    • Retro Zombies Byte
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 06:50:36 am »
Is it actually the monitor? If its the BIOS splash image then i saw on my HP laptop a customised option for loading your own splash images. Not saying this helps but some BIOS setups can allow for your own splash screen image. There are open source BIOS flash updates which support a range of boards. If your board is on their list then it may be worth investigating but don't mess too much with your setup. You should be able to ground some pins to get back to flashing your BIOS back if it fails but again check with your board manufacturer first as you could brick it.

PS if its the monitor then you can just replace that for something different as you can usually pick up monitors second hand for under £10 at various places including eBay

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:52:38 am by Dal1980 »
I'm on my last life, best not try anything stupid

-> Check out my other projects at http://retro.zombiesbyte.com/projects

gdonovan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2021, 02:37:58 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 07:43:01 am »
Is it actually the monitor?

I have 3 LCD monitors here, all of them show a logo when powered up for a second or two..

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Load "1980"
    • Retro Zombies Byte
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 08:20:23 am »
Oh so definitely the monitor. After you said i powered my monitor on and seen the problem. Never noticed to be honest. Ill check my home monitors for you. It may be just a case of finding the right company or model but im not aware of any way to change it other than in the monitor settings if it's there.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 09:53:31 am »
Ah, yes, good old Dell.  Slaps those splash screens on everything, and then dominates the office lease market, so when we're digging computers out of the trash we're stuck looking at that damn logo.

Go with the relay.

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Load "1980"
    • Retro Zombies Byte
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 01:52:30 pm »
Seems my Acer K242HL monitors have a quick start option that bypasses logos being shown. They are off then they are on end of. Maybe explore this further.

DorkVonWaterfall

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:57:14 am
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 02:16:23 am »
if your Acer shows Dell logo, you better get it repaired...

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Load "1980"
    • Retro Zombies Byte
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 09:40:44 am »
I just noticed this reply. Think you got the context of my msg wrong. I wasn't saying 'my' monitor showed dell logo but saying that my monitor can turn off the logo splash when you power on which solves the issue that muell67 was having. At least confirmed that there are monitors out there that can avoid logo splash.

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 11:22:08 am
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 07:37:44 am »
Removing the annoying splash screen will take either advanced electrical or mechanical solutions like shown above.

Let's be reasonable here, these 20 inch lcd's are basically given away for free now. I guess your quickest option to get rid of the logo is to replace the entire monitor.

Hawkeye71

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2018, 03:39:54 pm
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 07:51:55 am »

If you can tap into the wiring for your monitor's backlight, you can wire a circuit to delay the backlight from powering on until the logo is gone. 

For instance, if your monitor takes 11-12 Volts DC to power up the inverter, use an item like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-12V-Delay-OFF-0-10s-Adjustable-Time-Switch-Control-Relay-Module-TA-SN46-/111879314916?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
which will delay the input voltage to the inverter (inverter boosts up the voltage to whatever the backlight uses) and just make sure the delay is set long enough to bypass seeing the logo.

The monitor shouldn't be aware the backlight is not on yet.

That's common input voltage for a lot of CCFL.  If the backlight is LED and uses a different input voltage, just build or buy a circuit with an input voltage to match your monitor's specs.

Should work, right?

Or use eyelids