Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Adding a single resolution to an existing setup  (Read 5981 times)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 09:44:54 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
Adding a single resolution to an existing setup
« on: February 28, 2017, 04:28:56 am »
I want to add a single resolution (for now) to an existing setup. This setup drives multiple different CRT's, using different modelines, which have been individually tweaked, so i'd prefer not to just add a line to the usermodes.ini and reinstall all the modelines with VMM.  Is there a way to do this with VMM? I seem to want to do this every time i install another emulator :/

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: Adding a single resolution to an existing setup
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:29:13 am »
If you're using VMMaker beta 9, there are commands now to make this easy. Make sure the correct output is selected in the settings tab. Then, in VMMakers command line, type:

>>modelist import

This will load the modelines from the driver. Make sure the correct mode list has been loaded, by typing.

>> modelist list

Now you can add a new mode to the RAM list, by typing, e.g.:

>> mode add 320x240@60.000000

Now, list all modes again to make sure the mode is added to the RAM list:

>> modelist list

Finally, if you're happy with the resulting mode list, install it to the driver:

>> modelist install

Notice you can't add single modes through the "install" method, you always add a whole modelist, wiping the previous installed one. So if you miss the "import" step at the beginning, you'll be deleting all modes and installing just the new one you created. So be careful with this.

Anyway, you can also "import" and "export" from file. This means you can backup (you should) your tweaked modelines. It's a plain text file, so you can also insert new modelines in there and load the file back to RAM by the "import" method.

Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:35:44 am »
You can also type "help" for more information on currently implemented commands:

Code: [Select]
>>help               
display <action> <param>
init     <device key>  : initializes display device.
restart  <device name> : restarts PCI display device, forcing driver to reinitialize.

modelist <action> <params>
build                : build RAM mode list calculating modelines from user files.
reset                : reset RAM mode list to start from scratch.
install              : install RAM mode list to the video driver.
uninstall            : uninstall mode list from the video driver.
import               : import mode list from video driver and load it to RAM.
import   <file_name> : import mode list from file_name and load it to RAM.
export   <file_name> : export RAM mode list to file_name
list                 : list all modes in mode list.
enum                 : list all modes in mode list with indexes.

mode    <action> <params...>
calc     <width_height_refresh> : calculate a modeline.
add      <width_height_refresh> : calculate and add a modeline to the mode list.
add      <modeline>             : add the specified modeline to the mode list.
del      <index>                : delete a modeline at index from the mode list.

edid    <action> <param>
create   <file_name> : creates an EDID block and saves it to <file_name>.
start    <output>    : starts EDID emulation on <output>.
stop     <output>    : stops EDID emulation on <output>.
read     <output>    : reads emulated EDID from <output>.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:10:06 pm »
Thanks, Calamity! I've resintalled all my modelines so many times, and then tweaked them all by hand over and over. It'll be great to just add one mode and leave the rest untouched!

I seem to remember reading it was fine to use the updated V9 VMMaker with the older V8 driver...?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 05:31:48 am »
Err, so that messes with the modelines, it doesn't just reinstall what you already have as you have it. I had to go through the list and recenter/resize everything again. Which is really what i was trying to avoid.

Am I doing something wrong? And why does the range_0 line in MAME.ini have no effect on H-size/position? If I center the 2560x240p modeline in ArcadeOSD, mame is still skewed left and oversized horizontally. If i transfer the horizontal timings of that edited modeline into MAME.ini, same thing, no change. I'd try VMMaker, but the different modelines i use need wildly different timings, and i haven't had any love with this before.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 06:03:02 am »
Err, so that messes with the modelines, it doesn't just reinstall what you already have as you have it

No way. The method I posted does exactly what you wanted. It will preserve your previous modelines unmodified. Whatever you did, it's not what I posted. You didn't backup your modelines anyway as I suggested, did you?

On a side note, I'm amazed people still do manual modeline adjustments. Last time I did that was around 2008-2009 I'd say. I guess there's an urgent need of some video tutorials.

And why does the range_0 line in MAME.ini have no effect on H-size/position?

Probably because you didn't set "monitor custom" in mame.ini. Just guessing without a log.

Steps to create a log:

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 08:54:41 pm »
Yeah i completely get what you're saying, it must be me somehow. VMM shows the lines for the blanking, and porches, it just seems to realign things once i reinstall. I followed the steps exactly as you typed them. The only thing i didn't check was the timings vs those shown by ArcadeOSD. Given those modified modelines are saved, i thought they'd be the ones pulled by >>modelist import

And i had the thought about setting monitor to custom in mame.ini, but it already is from way back.

I'd use the range lines in VMM, but like i said, the range of modes i use is not huge, but hugely varied. From 2560x240p to 2560x272p to 800x600i. When VMM generates the modes, they end up in lots of different sizes and positions horizontally. When i adjust them manually they have quite different different values for front porch, sync and back porch to each other.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 07:20:27 pm »
I finally figured out the range limit problem in mame.ini, and of course it was me all along :)

I'd managed to leave out the " quotation marks from the monitor range line. Very important, as it turns out. All sorted and properly sized now.

I'm going to be playing with the modelines again, so i'll make sure to back up and double check before I start this time.

Thanks again, Calamity :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:34:17 pm by buttersoft »