Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mind boggling reply to Craigslist Arcade listing.  (Read 5343 times)

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
Mind boggling reply to Craigslist Arcade listing.
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:23:22 am »
I just stared at this reply for like 5 minutes in silence. What kind of theories do you have for this? Best theory I have is that the owner just threw his warehouse keys to some woman and said sell this stuff. Maybe there are some good deals to be had.

http://boulder.craigslist.org/vgm/6003417459.html

>

We are not selling cabinets, it is a complete game.

Sent from my iPhone

>
>
> hi,
>
> Your listing says you have a Street Fighter 2 cab. I have been looking
> for a fairely good shap cab; do you have any close up picks of the art
> and screen you could send me. If it looks in good shape I wouls like
> to take a look at the cab.
>
> thanks,
>
> chris
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:26:23 am by fallacy »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Mind boggling reply to Craigslist Arcade listing.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:50:36 am »
Well, you are specifically saying "cab". I'm sure they've had some low ballers contact them and say "How much for the Dynamo, if you keep the PCB?" Trust me, there's all sorts out there.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 04:14:19 pm »
Think that might be Lonny Dawson, the chi-mo.
%Bartop

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:41:53 am »
I hate when I create a Craigslist post and someone sends me an email asking me to do ..... just about anything. I get that they said to contact them with questions, but if you are interested, you need to just hurry up and get over there and check it out.

Yots is right.... those craigslisters will make outrageous requests before not showing up. "I'm looking to trade a nintendo wire harness for a pole position steering wheel and I can throw in $5 when I get paid in a week. I should be able to come by on the first Saturday that falls on a full moon."

I had a ---smurfette--- of a time giving away a Nintendo cabinet. Back then, I replied to people in the order I received their emails (which I don't do nowadays). After a while you learn that "do you still have item" is a scam and "do u still have game?" is also someone who isn't really interested. The folks who reply "I can be there in an hour, and I have a truck" are the guys you want. People don't want to waste their time, so they get the concept of wasting time, but they don't mind wasting yours. So annoying.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 09:19:48 am »
I'm even reluctant to put curb alerts on Craigslist anymore because of annoying questions and requests.

.Especially the people who act like they want me to work to make the "sale".  It's friggin free.  It's out by the curb.  As stated in the listing, I will not hold anything and will update the listing as stuff disappears.

Anymore, if it's something goodwill won't take, I pay $15 at the garbage transfer station rather than have to deal with people.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 10:28:44 am »
The last few things I sold on Craigslist:
  • Engine Stand - cost $25. Took a few days. Got a few tire kickers and finally a guy who was interested.
  • Arcade machine - cost $800. Took a couple weeks. Got about a dozen emails, but only 2 were interested. A couple folks asked dumbass questions like if the cabinet played games that it didn't even have the controls for (like driving games).

The last few things I gave away:

• Saltwater fish/snails - went with the 3rd person who said they could get there that night. Got 5 emails in the first hour.
  • Playstation 1 with controller, games and two 13" tv's - I forced the TV's as part of the sale so I could get rid of it. Got about 20 emails in an hour and went with someone about mid-way through.
  • 36" CRT I used with my PS2 - got lucky and finally got a person to take it. Waited a few days and luckily someone said they would take it. I had to work with them on their time.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 12:47:50 pm »
I'm even reluctant to put curb alerts on Craigslist anymore because of annoying questions and requests.

.Especially the people who act like they want me to work to make the "sale".  It's friggin free.  It's out by the curb.  As stated in the listing, I will not hold anything and will update the listing as stuff disappears.

Yep. This.

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 02:55:32 pm »
I agree that any request from a buyer and they go to the bottom of the pile. After selling stuff on CL for awhile you can sense who's going to flake or be more a PITA.

Last week I was selling a nice sectional couch at a cut rate price and someone asked me if I deliver.  Umm... no, I'm not Domino's. Next person was supposed pick up at 7 then changed to 9 and then bailed.

So yeah, given the rate people flake etc. and your initial message I'm not too surprised by their response.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 04:06:52 pm »
Well, you are specifically saying "cab". I'm sure they've had some low ballers contact them and say "How much for the Dynamo, if you keep the PCB?" Trust me, there's all sorts out there.

This as well.

Based on the pics and prices, I'd guess this guy just wants you to come, pay and take away.  Tire-kickers and those who ask him to do PITA things (like pull a cabinet out, take close-up pictures, etc.) before they can be bothered to "come and see" aren't folks this guys wants to deal with.

There is nothing wrong or confusing about that.

Besides, you can tell from the pictures that there are likely no bargains to be had. You can see that his MVS 4-slot has video issues and the machine is still priced at nearly a grand. The SF2 looks to be in a generic cabinet without any pretty CPO -- so don't expect anything from the rest of the artwork (if there is any). The monitor looks bright and the game appears to work. That info and the $700 price tag should be enough to decide if you want to see it in person or not.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 09:44:08 am »
I hope you guys are not referring to my request. They show a warehouse of Arcade games but no picture of the Street Fighter 2 cab they had listed. I showed I was interested and wanted to see it if I could see some proof that it existed (it also would be a 2.5 hour drive for me). He/She gets back to me saying sorry the Street Fighter 2 Cab was already sold yet it is still listed on the add, turns out craigslist posters can be every bit as stupid as the ones who reply to them.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:46:52 am by fallacy »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 06:42:07 am »
I hope you guys are not referring to my request. They show a warehouse of Arcade games but no picture of the Street Fighter 2 cab they had listed. I showed I was interested and wanted to see it if I could see some proof that it existed (it also would be a 2.5 hour drive for me). He/She gets back to me saying sorry the Street Fighter 2 Cab was already sold yet it is still listed on the add, turns out craigslist posters can be every bit as stupid as the ones who reply to them.

I always suggest moving as quick as possible on a craigslist post. When someone asks me to do anything, I don't bother replying. I just wait for the next person. The assumption I make is the person making the request isn't interested in buying it, just window shopping.

It sounds like it worked out in your favor this time, good for you.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 07:50:50 am »

3rd pic is sf2 on the left  ???
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 08:15:59 am »

What Mal said. There was more than enough information to make a determination.

I understand the 2.5 hour drive, but you should realize that the seller doesn't need to care about that. What makes sense to you doesn't need to make sense to them.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 11:13:49 am »
^^^Yup.

4 spelling mistakes in a 2 sentence reply probably didn't make a great impression either.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

dendawg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:18:59 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 06:38:54 pm »
^^^Yup.

4 spelling mistakes in a 2 sentence reply probably didn't make a great impression either.

Neither does being a grammar nazi.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 06:51:56 pm »
^^^Yup.

Neither does being a grammar nazi.

Thing is, the folks upset about 8Bit pointing that out are people on a message board who think he is being unfairly elitist. They aren't the people selling cabinets, so are irre----smurfing----evelant to the conversation at hand.

Some people might not care about slovenly spelling and grammar, but if I receive an inquiry that is a trainwreck to read?

Yeah, you're getting ignored.

And then you can post up here about it, how confusing and rude I was as a seller.

And you didn't get the cabinet, did you?

::)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 07:00:09 pm »
Nevermind,  Cheffo said it better.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:02:13 pm by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 09:30:06 pm »
Yep, what Cheffo said.

We all fat finger keys here and there but if a response is littered with typos/grammatical errors in combination with asking me for more photos with the provision that if they then look good enough you'll come by and look at it and maybe buy it... you go to the bottom of the barrel. Nothing mind-boggling about it.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 08:56:10 am »

Ugh.  I'm selling a pin on CL (and Facebook) right now.  Going through all of this for the first time in quite a while reminds me of why I barely ever buy/sell anything anymore.  It's just not worth the hassle knowing most of the people are never going to show up anyway.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 09:11:23 am »
$?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 11:44:54 am »
I'm very interested, but I need you to measure all the interior dimensions and provide a paint chip of the color.
Could you capture a can of the air inside so I can be sure that it doesn't smell?
Also going to need at least 200 pics taken under a variety of lighting conditions.

Also I need you to hold it until my junker car sells, then until I can borrow my wife's cousin's truck.
When I come to pick it up, I'll bring 60% of the cash price we agreed on.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 11:45:56 am »
 :cheers:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 11:51:01 am »
You have considerably less drama than that with pinball collectors, in my experience.  Seems like the cheaper the arcade game, the weirder the flakes.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 12:00:33 pm »
 :cheers: again

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 01:06:45 pm »
Ugh.  I'm selling a pin on CL (and Facebook) right now.  Going through all of this for the first time in quite a while reminds me of why I barely ever buy/sell anything anymore.  It's just not worth the hassle knowing most of the people are never going to show up anyway.
Will you take a set of rims for Honda Tercel?
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 05:24:17 pm »
Will you take a set of rims for Honda Tercel?

Yes, your rims will probably be taken within 30 minutes of you parking at my warehouse.  Are you interested in buying this game?