Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control panel hardware selection and questions (GGG pieces)  (Read 1846 times)

Gangor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2020, 09:44:45 pm
Control panel hardware selection and questions (GGG pieces)
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:34:08 pm »
Hi all, hardware questions: I’m looking at the Groovy Game Gear pieces for the cab I’m building so hoping someone familiar with this gear can chime in.  I really like the look of the Electric Ice buttons, so I’m going to wait for these to come back in stock…hopefully soon.  I was hoping you could provide some guidance for the rest:
-Recommended switch type? Micro-leaf or True-leaf?
-RGB drive II or Helio9 lighting?
-Joystick OMNI 2 – weren’t there lighted options for the balls once?
-LED-Wiz 32 port (enough for ~30 buttons?)
-Switching power supply? Do I need this for the LED Wiz?
-TurboTwist High-Low™ Push-Pull Arcade Spinner Control – is it possible to have 3 of these on one cab? I was thinking 1 spinner for spinner games, than 2 angled out to add steering wheels when needed.
-Electric Ice Trackball – any issue with this and 1 spinner (possibly 3)?
-Do I need any additional wiring harnesses or parts?

Thanks in advance for anyone taking a stab at these questions, I just want to make sure I get it right when ordering. Attached a picture of barebone control panel for reference.  I still need to figure exact placement and wether or not I'm trying to fit to much on it or not.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:14:28 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Control panel hardware selection and questions (GGG pieces)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 02:38:50 pm »
You don't need the push pull spinner unless you enjoy one of the 5 or so games that use it.
If you do need it, you probably only need one. Discs of tron is 1 player and that is the most popular push/pull I can think of.

Gangor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 03:10:07 pm »
Thanks Mike, good to know. 

Still open to anyone else chiming in.

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:49:55 pm
  • If you take shortcuts, you get cut short.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 08:18:34 pm »
Sorry I can't be of much help but I can say that I ordered pretty much ALL of my parts from GGG.

I use 4 of the OMNI 2 joysticks and they are fantastic! Great to be able to switch from 4-8 way on the fly and they feel great as a joystick. All my other parts from them like buttons/switches are top notch quality, I went with the TRUE LEAF PRO pushbuttons and I love them. I can't say that they are any better than the others because I haven't tried them but I believe in the forums someone did a really good comparison.  I even used thier coin push buttons on my cab.

Very trustworthy company and fast shipping. Anyway hopefully other people can chime in on the other parts you are using re: LED. Sure you can get cheaper stuff on EBAY but you really don't want to be changing parts when they breakdown. You are investing sooooo much time and energy into this so I'm glad you are spending the money to do it right the first time.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:24:34 pm by lisowskikevin »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 08:29:38 pm »
Keep it simple. You will easily get overwhelmed. Once its running, you can always modify it bit by bit.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 08:33:19 pm »
The microswitches really depend on what games you plan on playing. I really enjoy the micro leafs.

roknrol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 05:04:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 02:36:37 pm »
I can't think of any reason you'd want three push-pull spinners. Even Forgotten Worlds only used two push spinners.

If you're wanting all RGB buttons, remember that 30 buttons and a RGB trackball will need 93 inputs to control all the colors. If you want to use the LED-Wiz, you'll need three of them.

I'm also waiting on the Electric Ice concave buttons to come back into stock from GGG. Want to order some with the Helio9 option -- otherwise, I'd give you my opinion on them!

Gangor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 04:17:10 pm »
yea, i think i'm getting ahead of myself.  Based on another comment, push/pull may not be for me anyway. Any idea how long it normally takes for ggg product to be replenished?

rootbeer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2018, 10:06:41 am
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 05:13:15 pm »
Order up a few buttons. Get one with the Super Soft Touch switch, one Micro-Leaf and one True Leaf. Getting a feel for what you'll like is definitely worth a few bucks. I just did this and was surprised to find that I loved the shallow concavity of the Arcade Prime (vs. the deeper ClassX), and that I strongly preferred the feel of the Micro-Leaf over the True Leaf. There's no "definitely better" choice, but there will be a "best-suited to YOU" choice.

roknrol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 05:04:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 05:38:36 pm »
What he said.  ;D

As far as restocking: unclear. I posted a question to Randy in the Vendors forum earlier this week. Haven't heard back yet. Restocking arcade parts (esp. custom parts) can often be awhile. Hope it's soon, though.

DolansCadillac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2021, 05:51:14 pm
  • Can't buy a bucket
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 12:20:55 pm »
Order up a few buttons. Get one with the Super Soft Touch switch, one Micro-Leaf and one True Leaf. Getting a feel for what you'll like is definitely worth a few bucks. I just did this and was surprised to find that I loved the shallow concavity of the Arcade Prime (vs. the deeper ClassX), and that I strongly preferred the feel of the Micro-Leaf over the True Leaf. There's no "definitely better" choice, but there will be a "best-suited to YOU" choice.
I'll also back this up, because I had an experience that made me wish I did just that. I'd ordered a full set of class-x buttons and true-leafs, and while they're clearly top-grade kit, they just weren't for me and the style of games I play most often - it's hard to convey just how sensitive those things are (even after lots of tuning). Mostly I had no idea how much I'd miss the tactile response you get with microswitches, and for someone who plays a lot of fighters and Tetris, you count on that more than you'd think. Again, that's not to speak ill of the product itself, they're certainly high quality hardware and I definitely could see myself using them in a dedicated cab down the road, for sure.

I ended replacing them with a set of micro-leafs recently, and they're just perfect for my tastes - no issues with them whatsoever. Easily a huge improvement over cherry switches in my opinion.