Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arduino + IR Sender to control a TV on Power up  (Read 1859 times)

RumblePuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2020, 11:06:40 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arduino + IR Sender to control a TV on Power up
« on: February 19, 2017, 03:51:05 pm »
Hello all.

Busy working away on my cabinet and I'm getting close to mounting the 27" LG TV I have.
So I want the TV to come on when the main power switch in turned on and I've read a few things on this site about people using capacitors and stuff thats way beyond my electronics ability.

So I had the idea of using an Arduino Uno board I have spare and an IR Sender to send the power on to the TV when the PC starts up.
Note that the original TV remote was lost a few years ago and I'd rather not take it apart if possible.

Is this a stupid way of doing it?
Be gentle please.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: Arduino + IR Sender to control a TV on Power up
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:59:09 pm »
I mean I theory this could work. Where would you mouth the sensor? I'm assuming behind the bezel

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 04:09:44 pm »
Placing a capacitor between the two pins of the power on button calls for 2 solders... arduino+IR receiver is a waaaaaay more complex way to solve the problem.

RumblePuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 06:18:41 pm »
I mean I theory this could work. Where would you mouth the sensor? I'm assuming behind the bezel

I figured I'd just stick the IR Sender right next to the IR Receiver on the TV. Not sure if you need to have any distance between the two but I'll check.

RumblePuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 01:54:17 pm »
Placing a capacitor between the two pins of the power on button calls for 2 solders... arduino+IR receiver is a waaaaaay more complex way to solve the problem.

Not sure my TV is as simple as two pins for the power on.
I removed the front bezel to take a look. The TV has a touch sensitive panel for turning on the power/volume etc.
I have no idea what I would do with the wires below.

Anyone any suggestions?

bismark0610

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2017, 11:49:49 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 08:15:24 pm »
I struggled to get my raspberry pi to control an IR transmitter and ultimately failed.  I ended up modifying my remote by soldering an NPN transistor across the pads under the button and driving the transistor with a GPIO pin.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 03:38:06 pm »
If you're de-casing the TV, you can see where the on/off switch actually wires into. It is possible it might even be marked on the board.

That said, If you're not going to do any soldering, you might want to research and see if there's a hidden menu in your TV that has any power-up after power failure type of options. Some TVs have service menus with additional options. My crappy magnavox doesn't, so I had to jumper the on/off switch (eventually put in a toggle). Some of my other TV's do have those power options though. It's a lot easier then soldering. Lot easier than arduinos.

Most every function somewhere along the line starts out life as a single wire/circuit that gets jumped to a ground. There may be a lot of other crap in front of, or in back of it... but somewhere there's probably something you can solder into. Will it be easy to find?   :dunno
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:41:32 pm by mahuti »
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

NickG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 05:25:23 am
  • Dig.
    • My Projects Page
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 05:31:46 am »

I removed the front bezel to take a look. The TV has a touch sensitive panel for turning on the power/volume etc.
I have no idea what I would do with the wires below.

Anyone any suggestions?

If you can get a meter on them, the ones which get closer to zero ohms when you press power are probably the ones to which to attach a capacitor.  I would just try de-casing enough to access switch panel to check for label like mahuti suggests; or if it a harder panel to get to; attaching a non-electrolytic from the blue wire to the grey wires one at a time until it toggles on/off.   I use an arduino for xm-2950 because de-casing / re-mounting it is a project in itself. I do have the ir led within a few CM of the ir receiver, and it works.     

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 10:32:40 am »
Code: [Select]
because de-casing / re-mounting it is a project in itself.
Ain't that the truth. Every time I've used a tv... that's the #1 most complicated part to deal with (for me). Just getting it to sit back in the machine and look like it belongs there without being easy to mess up. Older TVs... I could just swap with existing arcade monitor mounts. Newer (even newer round ones) just don't seem to fit existing mounts at all. Then you have to build a box frame or get out the welder and some steel hah hah.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...