Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: This old NES, Sega Genesis, N64 and Dreamcast. Added INTV and Colecovision.  (Read 14222 times)

chopperthedog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:26 pm
After "field converting" my DK to an ArPicade based VS. multi unit in December, it really got me thinking about the 2 gun games that would require extra hoops to jump through with a mediocre payoff. Three weeks ago went digging in the garage for my old childhood NES setup.

After some cart and edge connector cleaning, I was shootin' away.

Out of all the crap I have I could not find a damn power supply. After wasting 45min I just made a quick 1/8" female to barrel M adapter. My main video/audio/power cable snake is wrapped and only has power for an atari vcs.

The composite video signal looked ok, but it was strange to say that my rgb vcs had a better picture than the nes. :p The wonders of the internet led me to this: http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=203&rn=522&action=show_detail   and this:  http://krikzz.com/store/home/31-everdrive-n8-nes.html . I saw the Chinese knock off cart and other places to get the items, but I chose to just order them straight from the makers. Received the nesrgb kit last weekend and got it installed.

PPU removed with no damage. Been gettin good at chip work like that.

PPU added to mod board and installed with connections made. Also recapped main board and power supply circuit.

Jacks wired.

Auxiliary voltage reg board that feeds separate power to the nesrgb kit.

I added an 1/8" female jack in parallel to the original power input. My adapter was ok, just didn't want to keep using it and I didn't have to modify my existing cable snake. Audio jacks are just wired for mono, maybe I'll look into the stereo mod in the future.

Pulled the old controllers apart and cleaned every little part. Amazing how far dirt and dried skin gets into these things.

This was a complete impulse buy. I was ordering a new edge connector from here : https://www.lukiegames.com/  and saw they had used advantage's. I was too poor to own one of these as a kid, my buddy had one growing up and I remembered how cool it was. Still needed to be pulled apart and detailed, but it's a nice example.

These were games that I had at my dad's place as a kid. I came across them about 10 years ago while we were cleaning up his joint after he passed away. I had many more games, but sold those off in the early 90's for weed or rent money.

The picture is stunning on my CRT and I'm super happy with it. No jail bars, no fuzziness, no edge noise on certain sprites. Can't wait for the Everdrive N8 to come in.

good day.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 04:39:50 pm by chopperthedog »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: This old NES.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:07:22 pm »
Out of everyone on this forum I would expect you, oh awesome purveyor of awesomeness, to have the coveted Nintendo Revolver.  I am disappoint. 

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 03:10:09 pm »
Out of everyone on this forum I would expect you, oh awesome purveyor of awesomeness, to have the coveted Nintendo Revolver.  I am disappoint.
/me hangs his head in shame. I can shred my awesome club card if need be.

Everdrive N8 came yesterday.  :applaud: Had an SDcard loaded an waiting, popped it in and was up and running. Very cool piece of hardware.

Packed away the carts I had instantly, even though it was 8, they just felt like clutter. Lets not forget the chore of having to change a cart just to play a different game. I could never be a true console collector guy, all the small sh!t and clutter would drive me nuts.

good day.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 03:13:39 pm »
Chopper always has the cool stuff. I love the stuff you find and do. I've book-marked nearly all of your threads with intention of shamelessly ripping you off.

2 Questions:

1. Is the RGB mod kit for the NES really $100?
2. Is it easy to RGB mod an average CRT TV?
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 03:28:50 pm »
2 Questions:

1. Is the RGB mod kit for the NES really $100?
2. Is it easy to RGB mod an average CRT TV?
1. It ended up being $92.53 USD with shipping and it shipped from a guy in Ohio that Tim apparently has setup for US distribution.
2. Not sure never done that. I found a real 20" nice curved crt made in 2004 that has s-video and component in for 20 bucks off CL. I de-cased it from the ugly ass over sized silver plastic bubble it came in and just mounted the tube and chassis on a stand made out of some pipe and wood (seen in first pic). The picture through s-video is really sharp and clean.

good day.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 03:35:41 pm »
Thanks chopper!

S-video is waaaay easier. Time to hit up craigslist for a CRT TV.

I totally agree with tearing the ugly shell off the TV. There is something cool about running it open like that.

Again, nice clean mod.  :cheers:
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
Re: This old NES and free Sega Genesis.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 01:59:08 pm »
Was telling an acquaintance about the fun with my NES and he said "I got something in my garage that I'll bring ya".

It was a free filthy Genesis and 3 carts with nothing else. Got nothing out of it upon initial testing. Took about 2min to figure out the 7805 was bad, put in a new one and ♪♪♪ SEGA ♪♪♪.

Complete tear down and bath given to shell. Cleaned up great, for sure not a museum piece. The VOID gunk was a ---smurfette--- to get off and was on all 4 sides, I suspect this was a video store rental unit from back in the day. I luckily purchased a sega controller last year to play the atari vcs 2 button home brews and hacks.

Learned quickly from the internet that the Genesis super easy to add s-video on. Ran to Fry's and picked up some parts. Original circuit called for a 75ohm resister on the chroma signal, but it was blowing out the image with color bleed on my crt. Stumbled upon the suggestion to use a 1k pot instead of the fixed resister. Worked perfectly, was able to dial in the image and it looks awesome on my crt tv.

Had to bust out the magnifier fo this one, 2 connections made for luma and chroma. Seems this was a later model 1, none of the tutorial pics were matching. The package size on the sony chip changed to the smaller surface mount instead of the larger through hole.

Even the moto 68000 is different along with the 7805 heat sink.

Jacks added to the back. Fry's only had a 5pk of red rca jacks, meh I know what each one does, proper colored jacks are overrated.

Never owned one of these growing up, couple friends had it and I would get to play one in random smatterings.

I debated with myself for about 30sec and ordered a Mega Everdrive X5. :applaud: Will be fun exploring the games when it comes in.

good day.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:14:57 pm by chopperthedog »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 02:02:19 pm »
NICE!

One of the best games on the Genesis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skitchin'

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 02:41:54 pm »
If you're messing around on a Genesis PCB, you might as well add a region switch. 

Then when combined with a 32X / Power Base Converter  / Sega CD you'll see some amusing variations in the games.  Mystic Defender turns to Peacock King as the most dramatic one I remember.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 07:26:35 pm »
Digging this thread. Nice job chopper, looks great.

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 03:51:12 pm »
None of the images come up, is it just me?

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 03:51:45 pm »
None of the images come up, is it just me?
yes, it's just you

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 03:54:15 pm »
That will teach me to use the PC blindfolded again. Zeesh, I should have known better. LOL

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 04:00:39 pm »
You should be able to see the pictures because chopper uploaded them directly to this forum.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:31:15 pm by vwalbridge »

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 06:30:37 pm »
Weird, I don't see them in this thread. but I see images on other threads. I've never had an issue before and have been using this PC for a long time. time to do some digging... thanks.

edit: switched to another windows 7 PC and no images, switched again to a windows 10 PC and the images are there. Good thing I get paid to troubleshoot issues like this, LOL (Look at all the learning going on.)

In any case. Back to topic. I just rescued my old NES from obscurity in a box at my mothers. and I put composite on my Genesis long ago from the 9-pin? connector in the back. I steal stereo audio from the headphone jack too.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:44:20 pm by knave »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 10:01:51 pm »
Yeah, only way to get stereo out of those things was the headphone port.  And you really want the launch Genesis that doesn't have the stupid copyright notice.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 10:25:59 pm »
My ex-girlfriend still has my Genesis... unless she took a bat to it.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 03:50:19 pm »
Well..... Still waiting for the everdrive. stoneagegamer borked my order, apparently it didn't "show up" initially in there system. grrrrrrrr... got a tacking# a couple hours ago, we'll see.

I picked up 3 other games (Hard Drivin', Sonic 2 and World Series Baseball) last week real cheap. It helped to have some different games cause I was seeing some things in the image. I added a 2nd 1k trim pot in place of the resister on the luma circuit and that really allowed me to tune it up. All settings are back to being flat on my CRT and no changes needed when swapping out vcs, nes and genesis.

Composite above.

S-video above.

The small text on Hard Drivin' is great for seeing how crappy composite really is.

Yeah, only way to get stereo out of those things was the headphone port.  And you really want the launch Genesis that doesn't have the stupid copyright notice.

Yeah the one I've been playing with is basically a model 2 in a model 1 shell and has that warning and the crappy stereo audio mixing. I picked up the console below and it does not have that splash upon power up, also has a real moto 68000 (not the slow Signetics SCN68000 used on early launch models), and the Yamamha sound chip is also there. Will be fun comparing both.

Pawn shop had this console advertised on CL for $24.95 with no indication or pics of other crap. Asked about what comes with and pulled out a bag from under the counter with extra crap, cool I'll take it. Learned they don't do credit/debit under $50, He says "go get cash and I'll do it for $20 out the door", fine I'm no idiot and I'll walk a block and get cash. Works great.

good day.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 04:12:45 pm by chopperthedog »

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 05:00:45 pm »
Finally got the everdrive and as expected it's an awesome product. Popped in the microSD card I had ready, powered on and was off and running. Keeping an eye out for a free or cheap 32X after educating myself on it.

Found this adorable little black shelf (most items like this are chrome) at Menards. Came as a 30" tall shelf, but I copped it to 20" tall for my needs. Slides right in the open spot under the 19" lcd when not in use.

The og sega game pads were pissing me off (silicone membranes were very tired with d-pad issues). First tried the retro-bit and that was garbage, the older Rhino to the left was actually pretty fair and I might revisit it. Always read good things about the interact propad's and found a couple nib on ebay for $8 each. The propad6 is an awesome controller, the in between size is perfect, d-pad is great and that's without getting into the other features of it. Was also cool to open something new that was 23 years old.

good day.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 05:05:40 pm »
I am diggin' on your console gaming niche.  I might have to get out to some spring garage sales and find some retro gold myself.  ;)

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 12:37:06 am »
Love the racked consoles.  Do you just jumper that set of RCAs to whatever console you wanna play?

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 05:23:47 pm »
Love the racked consoles.  Do you just jumper that set of RCAs to whatever console you wanna play?
Nah, I just move one being played to top and patch cables that are zip tied there. With the everdrives (except the mega X7) and harmony cart you need to keep the reset buttons within reach for changing games.

good day.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
Re: This old NES and free Sega Genesis. now with N64.
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 07:00:02 pm »
So, I did end up finding an X32 at a local shop for cheap, but it was "no returns", untested and came with no cables or ps. Took the gamble on it and ordered a model 1 to 32X cable. I tested it first with just pulling composite out of the port with 2 wires inserted into jack. Got kinda a grey garbled mess, some searches educated me about the 2 internal white ribbon cables. Cleaned and reseated both and the video output looked great and it worked perfectly.

Adding s-video to the 32X is super simple and only needs 1 resistor, 1 transistor. All the tutorials I found have you installing the s-video jack towards the top of the unit like a Frankenstein neck lug. I had an s-video extension in a box of stuff and nipped off the female end and was able to feed the wire through with no drilling.

I also ordered a new 9v dc 3amp regulated power supply to take place of the unregulated 1.2amp unit I had been using. The 32X needed its own supply, I just made a jumper to power 32X off the parallel power jack from the genesis. The new 3amp supply powers both with ease.

Sega does what Nintendont :p . Some pretty cool games on this thing. The video out put also cleans up that rainbow banding that occurs on video direct from the genesis. Neat little piece of hardware and the everdrive supports all the 32X games except for the 4 or 5 that use the sega cd at the same time. I also have fun plugging the patch cable from the genesis into the av out on the 32X while a game is running and it still gets the sync, but drops out everything the genesis is adding to the video overlay of the 32X.

Always had some mild interest in the N64 and seemed like a nice addition to my console exploration collection. I've been wanting to check out this store that runs CL ads, but it's like 45mi west of me and the main route can be a crap shoot for traffic on any day. Had a sliver of time to be able to run out there after making a pick-up for work about 6mi from the joint. Had about 20min to shop and was able to assemble a nice little package for a nice price. I really want to go back to that store at some point with more time and be able to dig through all the layers of stuff there. Link to their CL ads:  https://chicago.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=yorkville+rockstar&sort=date

I wasn't interested in adding/purchasing a new cable set-up for the AV out on the N64, since I already have good s-video and audio cables on my set up I looked into just adding jacks to the N64. Ended up being a matter of making the connections with 5 wires to the bottom of the AV port to the jacks themselves. It seems the PAL folks have to jump through extra hoops for s-vid. Nice clean image now, I dealt with composite for a week til the s-video jack came in this weekend.

I reworked my wrapped cable snake, removed the composite and older power cable. Added the new 9vdc regulated cable and also 120v with a 2pin molex plug for the power supply of the N64.

It's a lot of fun exploring these older systems, plus I don't have the butthurt fanboi opinions of some person that had an x-mas ruined or feels they were screwed out of money at some point in his/her life back in the day.

good day.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 08:05:16 pm »
Thanks for posting those conversion pics of the N64. I've got an extra one I'd like to try that with at some point.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 08:38:24 pm »
Any slowdown in Sonic 1 when you lose your rings while playing it through the 32X?

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 06:40:16 pm »
Any slowdown in Sonic 1 when you lose your rings while playing it through the 32X?
Sonic isn't a game I'm versed in, plus I got distracted by the n64 and Dreamcast. Is it something that's been known for years with that game?

My name is chopper, and I have an addiction to controllers...

I learned "Boot" boxes from the container store fit perfectly under my couch (under bed boxes are too tall). I need to pick up 2 more though :( .

I did get the Everdrive64, great stuff as always. N64 is pretty damn cool, had no idea all the Midway driving games were on it, sports games are great. Robotron64 was an unexpected find, Holy balls is that a fun game.

Got to looking into other controllers for the N64 and the oddly shaped Super Pad 64 plus caught my eye. Impressive stick that works well with some games, very solid analog stick.

Found this sweet super clean arcade stick on ebay. Neat piece of hardware.

Had some time a couple weeks ago to run out to my new favorite store and was able to peel back some layers. Found and really nice og Nintendo trans purple controller with a perfect analog stick (I'll save my X2 like post on N64 controllers for another time), N64 3rd party Shock Pak new in box and THE JUSTIFIER for Genesis/32x. Fun stuff.

I upgraded my TV stand with the same shelf unit, but this one I cut down to 25" tall, my previous option was lower and I had to look downward at screen, at eye level now while in the bachelor chair.

I went to a different Menards to get the new shelf for tv and this location had these cool little hanging baskets for the shelf system.

As I've watched and read various retrospectives on consoles, I always see the Dreamcast mentioned in high regard. Had never played one before, but as I was reading up on it I learned is was basically a naomi system for the home. Sign me up! I love me some AM2 driving stuff. Kept an eye out and a couple Saturdays ago while sipping my morning coffee this package popped up on CL for real cheap. Four hours later I was rockin' the Dreamcast. AND NO I haven't been doing any downloading and burning of about 26 discs, cause that's just wrong and against the law... /me winks at Ark.

So, of course I wanted some s-video action out of the Dreamcast, found a little area to be able to install an s-video jack. AV pin out led me to the luma, chroma, ground and L&R audio points. Snaked the wire up (the BR/BRW wires are audio, unused currently, I may add jacks in the future). Since there isn't room to add audio jacks, I hacked up the av cable it came with to have female outs for just audio. End result looks great on my crt, I'm interested in being able to check out one of the vga boxes.

Went out to my new favorite store to take some pics for PL1 and found a neat 3rd party Dreamcast controller. I really like this thing, great size, triggers are in a better spot and doesn't lead to hand cramping after 15min of use.

I was also after another trans purple N64 controller and found a nice one with a tight stick under some other piles. I wanted 2 nice original controllers, the one I bought with the system was a floppy donkey dick, so I ordered a new drop in repro that blows big time. Anywho.... With Robotron64 if you have 2 controllers plugged in, each analog stick functions as move and fire on the separate controllers, yes, picture yourself playing Robotron64 with a controller in each hand using just your thumbs. Such a neat option.

Another great chapter added to my console explorations.

good day.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:42:47 pm by chopperthedog »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: This old NES, free Sega Genesis. now with N64 and Dreamcast.
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 08:54:50 pm »
The Sonic thing is something I was told 20 years ago and have never been in a position to test. 

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
Re: This old NES, free Sega Genesis. now with N64 and Dreamcast.
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 04:37:46 pm »
Growing up, I went from VCS to NES and the Intellivision and Colecovision had always escaped me. Had friends that owned them, but they were the kids that couldn't have any friends over or they could never take the system out of the house. Local collector friend knew I was looking for a Colecovision and his parents found a couple dirty units with some games at an estate sale. He sold me one of the units and some games for $20 bucks, but it didn't come with a power supply.

Was a dirty ass mofo.

The games it came with.

First thing was to do a complete tear down, scrub and hose off the shell.

Since the unit didn't come with a power supply, my option was to find an obnoxious original or install an internal switching unit. Stumbled upon a thread on AA and some guys were installing the same ps I used, but they were cutting holes into the controller bay. I was able to avoid that by installing the supply on an angle and remote mounting (seen in pic on right side) one of the voltage regulators that stuck up too high.

Found the composite/s-video board here:  https://store.retrofixes.com/collections/kits-parts-accessories/products/colecovision-composite-upgrade-kit  and also found a nice power inlet on mouser that snapped right in perfectly.

Crappy RF.

S-video on the same CRT.

Had to order up one of these. My favorite features on the cart are the text manuals and skipping the 12sec nag screen when a game is launched.

Picked this thing up from CL pretty close to me for $30 with a couple games. It worked but the controls were really messed up. The controllers were fine, so things were pointing to the AY-3-8914 sound chip (it apparently handles the controller inputs as well). Snagged a new chip off ebay for $6 and it fixed the controls up perfectly.

Told my friend z3k3 about the INTV pickup and he sent me a care package of some of the best games for the cost of shipping.

Of couse I needed better video from the INTV, sadly s-video is tough to do and there's a guy that sells composite boards from Turkey. I just gathered the needed bits and built my own amp board using the circuit from here:  http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=Intellivision_Composite_Video_Modification  The composite looks great on my CRT, just nice noise free colors being painted on the screen and being able to pump the audio to my system is a plus.

I decided to split the jacks on each side of the power inlet, gets pretty tight in that corner.

Fun to finally be able to explore both of these consoles that seemed to elude me bitd.

good day.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
I've never played either of those systems.  Anything worth looking at on them?

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I had micro surgeon on my Texas instruments 99/4a.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline

Had been looking for a glass display case that didn't look like a piece of dining room furniture or wasn't $300+. Ikea has this nice unit https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10290283/ for 100 bucks and also ordered a led tape kit off amazon to light it up. Nice to have the hardware on display with easy access and also be protected from dust.

good day.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Damn, Chopper, that's nice!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Looks like a million bucks.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
Looks good Chopper.  Would love to see how you ran your leds...