Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Donkey Kong Advanced  (Read 24400 times)

EMDB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
Re: Donkey Kong Advanced
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2017, 03:07:35 pm »
It would be cool if there was a HyperSpin theme available for this game (like the one created for DK Pauline Edition). I'm not really a graphical designer myself  :dunno. Maybe combining the standard DK theme with elements from the Mario Bros or Super Mario World themes? Anybody on this forum?

Ophelius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2018, 08:15:42 pm
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2017, 03:23:27 pm »
Not that I'm good enough to need to worry about it, but I think difficulty progression would be good too. I'm not sure how you'd do it on the first level, as there aren't really any random elements. I think that level is fine first time round but after getting through levels 3/4 it might be too easy the next time?

You could add wild barrels to the barrel board to increase difficulty on that one.

Level 3 is already too much for me, but if maybe reduce the no. barrels first time, and then increase each time round? Or maybe start with some of the laser barriers deactivated.

Out of curiousity, what's your hiscore? Rattus' is more than double my best  :laugh:

I think I will implement the increase in difficulty. The levels you see now will be difficulty 1, but level 4 I might reduce the fire guys from a maximum of 5 to 3, then 4 for difficulty 2, then 5 for difficulty 3. Then Difficulty 2 and 3 will be met with faster/more enemies, more barrels, shorter bonus times, etc. Not too much change, but enough to notice an increase.

I don't really have a hi-score because I never tried. Maybe around 35K if I were to estimate. I prefer designing games over playing them

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2017, 03:42:54 pm »
I prefer designing games over playing them

Well you seem to be damned good at it. 

So... how's *cough* Popeye *cough* coming along?

Ophelius

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2017, 04:15:13 pm »

You should get that cough checked out, sounds pretty bad.
It's almost done, just adding the last Nyan Cats and disco music to the levels. It's more of a 3d shooter now too.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2017, 04:36:11 pm »

It's almost done, just adding the last Nyan Cats and disco music to the levels. It's more of a 3d shooter now too.

As long as it has a quiz level and uses a Boong Ga Boong Ga style of control.

Ophelius

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2017, 04:44:02 pm »

As long as it has a quiz level and uses a Boong Ga Boong Ga style of control.

:laugh2:

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2017, 11:40:43 am »
I think I will implement the increase in difficulty. The levels you see now will be difficulty 1, but level 4 I might reduce the fire guys from a maximum of 5 to 3, then 4 for difficulty 2, then 5 for difficulty 3. Then Difficulty 2 and 3 will be met with faster/more enemies, more barrels, shorter bonus times, etc. Not too much change, but enough to notice an increase.

Sounds good to me!

Had about 15 goes last night, and after some swearing managed to beat level 3 on my last attempt. I think that was probably more luck than judgment. Then didn't last long on level 4...

Rattus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 12:51:25 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2017, 07:36:06 am »
Going to try to find time tomorrow to have a go at adding DKadv to my MaLa frontend on my cab so I can have it on my DK list where I already have about 10 versions of DK.

Looking at the tutorial now after a few red wines I'm thinking ummmmm WTF but maybe it will be clearer tomorrow.....or maybe I will keep drinking and attempt this another time :)

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=91263.0

Rattus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 12:51:25 am
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2017, 07:08:58 am »

[/quote]

I don't really have a hi-score because I never tried. Maybe around 35K if I were to estimate. I prefer designing games over playing them
[/quote]

How is this going? are you still working on this game? I think if you get the difficulty curve right it will be a fully fledged stand alone classic :)

Ophelius

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2017, 02:46:57 pm »

How is this going? are you still working on this game? I think if you get the difficulty curve right it will be a fully fledged stand alone classic :)

I put it to the side for now, been a bit depressed lately. But there has been a lot of work done to it. One day I will release a big update here  :cheers:

Wyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 09:22:42 pm
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2017, 09:57:00 pm »

I put it to the side for now, been a bit depressed lately. But there has been a lot of work done to it. One day I will release a big update here  :cheers:

Depression sucks.  Always happens to me around winter time.   Hope you feel better soon!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:53:10 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2017, 06:27:23 am »
I hope you feel better soon.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:34:19 am by Mike A »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2017, 08:25:49 am »
Have you considered changing conditions to fibromyalgia?  You can apparently act however you want if you have that one.

In all seriousness, hope you're back in final form soon.  This is an amazing game and we miss your updates.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:52:21 am by pbj »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2017, 09:34:19 am »
Depression is no laughing matter, but if it was...

! No longer available

At any rate, hopefully brighter days are ahead but if not please watch out for your safety and well being.  If you feel like hurting yourself call someone, PM one of us in this thread, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255, or go check yourself into the hospital.  There is zero shame in getting help when help is needed.  Take it from a multiple tour combat vet, and take care of yourself bro. 

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:56:47 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2017, 10:54:15 am »
Have you considered changing conditions to fibromyalgia?  You can apparently act however you want if you have that one.

In all seriousness, hope you're back in final form soon.  This is an amazing game and we miss your updates.

:cheers:

Wow.....  I don't know whether to be annoyed or impressed with that one  ;D