Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Overscan question  (Read 3768 times)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Overscan question
« on: February 16, 2017, 07:12:15 pm »
I am in the process of upgrading from XP to Windows 7 64bit.  My graphics card is a Radeon HD5450 and my monitor is a D9800 CRT.  Windows looks fine but almost every single game I try has overscan issues.  Is there a way to adjust for overscan for all resolutions?   

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.  I've searched with no luck and the tutorial I was using seems to be out of date.

Paradroid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
Re: Overscan question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 03:17:53 am »
Just adjust your monitor settings (width/height) or use Arcade OSD to refine your monitor specs. I'd try the monitor settings first. Easier.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 08:59:25 am »
I was able to correct most geometry issues with vertical games using the manual OSD.  I can't reduce the horizontal size near far enough to correct the overscan issues with horizontal games though.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 03:19:16 pm »
Cool! Sounds like you're halfway there then. :)

Getting the horizontal overscan right should be fairly straightforward: Arcade OSD: Tweaking the video modes and screen geometry.

If you're using super-resolutions, you should be able to get width and horizontal centering perfect (for all games) once you've discovered the right monitor spec (using Arcade OSD).

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:04:16 pm »
Cool! Sounds like you're halfway there then. :)

Getting the horizontal overscan right should be fairly straightforward: Arcade OSD: Tweaking the video modes and screen geometry.

If you're using super-resolutions, you should be able to get width and horizontal centering perfect (for all games) once you've discovered the right monitor spec (using Arcade OSD).

Thanks.  That's the tutorial I was looking for.  My head is spinning a little after reading through that.  I guess I was a little lucky with my XP setup as I did not have to tweak anything.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 11:05:54 pm »
Haha! Don't sweat it: reading is one thing but fiddling the the horizontal settings in Arcade OSD will give you instant feedback. Try increasing the front and back porches and observe what happens.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 09:46:30 am »
Try increasing the front and back porches and observe what happens.

That made a big difference.  Horizontal games look much better but now vertical games look a little hinky.  I just need to keep playing with the settings.  Progress though.  Thanks again.

theAEoN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2020, 11:13:15 am
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 11:18:09 am »
I'm trying to solve my overscan issues as well using a 24" Sony Trinition CRT TV (KV24FS100). I was trying to follow this thread's directions and it was saying to start calibration using 720x480@60i by adding it to ReslList.txt. The thread was from 2013 and I couldn't find ReslList.txt anywhere (using crtemudriver 2.0 and I think 2.0 introduced a bunch of changes that differ from that thread) so:

1. How can I add 720x480@60i to vmmaker?
2. Is that still the best way to tweak my monitor spec or is there a better way?

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 02:40:44 pm »
"ReslList.txt" is now "user_modes.ini", and you can add video modes as explained here:

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=327#p327

(format samples at the end in that post)

To tweak your monitor specs, check that thread too.

Overscan "issues" depend on the video mode, anyway -- you can get, for instance, too much horizontal overscan area when running a 384 x 224 mode but also find that there's underscan when running a 256 x 224 mode, without touching the monitor's internal settings. In order to avoid having to adjust the horizontal geometry depending on the video mode (which is what you indeed had to do with the original hardware), you can use super wide resolutions with some emulators (such as GM).

You can get more explanations on the subject here:

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=987#p987