Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Compiling mame with Ubuntu bash on Windows10  (Read 8845 times)

b4nd1t0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 10:21:43 am
    • b4nd1t0's repository
Compiling mame with Ubuntu bash on Windows10
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:51:46 am »
I have installed the Ubuntu bash for windows10, and i want to compile some versions of mame for linux.
Someone has tried and succeeded in compiling in this environment?

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
Re: Compiling mame with Ubuntu bash on Windows10
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 04:42:38 am »
There are things you can do with cross-compile chains and whatnot, but it's honestly too complex to be worth your time (and I say that as someone who uses Linux for a living, and is even typing this from his work Linux desktop).

A far easier method is running Linux in a VM (VirtualBox is free and easy to use), and compiling things from there.

If you're still interested, google "Linux cross compile", and follow the guides there.  They're all fairly generic, and cover compiling on one architecture for another (for example, you can compile quickly on a powerful x86 machine and create binaries and libraries that will work on a low-power ARM computer like a Raspberry Pi).  I'm not even sure if the version of Ubuntu's userspace for Windows ships the cross compile tools, but that'll be an adventure in itself for you to dig into.

Arbee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 12:36:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:21:04 pm »
MAME's build system does not support cross-compiling in that environment at this time.  (We do support the other direction, building Windows MAME on Linux).

b4nd1t0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 10:21:43 am
    • b4nd1t0's repository
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 06:42:56 am »
Hello guys, I can confirm that the compilation from bash in windows 10 is possible, I made many tests with success, just install all required software. Compiled successfully groovymame, hbmame and wolfmame with several patches.  :cheers: