Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: j-pac to nanao monitor - screeching, scrambled, and no display. JAMMA board fine  (Read 2360 times)

Tzakiel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 12:59:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I've got a Blast City with JAMMA and a nanao 2931 monitor, and I can put in a JAMMA board and it works just fine. I have been trying to get my j-pac working and no luck at all, which stinks becuase this is intended to be my primary way of using the cab. I'm not sure what is going on... I left the 15khz and 31khz jumpers in, and I hooked up my VGA cable and the JAMMA connector.  My understanding is that I should see the bios, windows loading screen, etc as doubled/safe and then the 15khz signal (the computer is already set up for 15khz drivers, card, etc and working on a CRT tv) should display just fine. What I get is a horrible high pitched screeching and scrambled display for a little bit, then nothing but blackness on the display once windows loads. I'm totally confused - I thought for one the j-pac was supposed to block harmful signals which from the sound of the CRT it is not, and then I also thought a 15khz signal should be showing up just fine. Any help?

My Fighter CRT Cabinet Thread: Tzakiel's 2P Cabinet

Tzakiel

• Offline Offline
I realized the USB actually needs to be hooked for the jpac to have power. So that got my working. I was able to see boot screens and actually see a game running in native res. However my windows desktop still doesn't display anything and jpac sync light doesn't light. I can only assume my desktop mode is blocked by jpac. Does this mode not work?

(Pic taken on another monitor that can show this desktop)

Tzakiel

• Offline Offline
Well this is weird. I did some more testing and I found I was able to get the windows and front end showing only by doing the following:

1. Hook up computer to old crt that has always worked for me.
2. Allow windows to load
3. Switch vga cable to the j-PAC one. SYNC OK is lit.
4. Turn on blast. All is well and works fine in windows, front end, games.

That's the only way it works. If I start with the j-PAC vga connected to the computer and then boot it, SYNC OK turns off when windows loads and screen is blank. If I connect no vga to the computer, boot it and let windows load, then connect the j-PAC vga cable, SYNC OK doesn't light and screen is blank.

I'm confused because clearly the monitor is ok with the resolution as it works perfectly if I switch it from the old crt to the Nanao once it's running.

Edit: just to clarify prior to all this I set the groovymame ini file and the vmmaker ini with the Nanao 2930/31 custom settings and reran vmmaker. I also have since tried setting windows to resolutions other than 480i, such as 240p etc and no matter what they all work with help from the other display and don't work when I just try to boot with jpac wired up to pc.

I will also note I am running crt emu driver from a few years ago, not sure if updating would solve anything or not?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:36:08 am by Tzakiel »

Tzakiel

• Offline Offline
Got it working by using a dvi to vga adapter instead of the vga port on card.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 09:44:54 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
Weird issue. Did you install the right video modes to the right display in the first place?

Updating crt_emudriver is always advised, unless your card doesn't support the newer versions.

Tzakiel

• Offline Offline
It was just that my card stopped putting video out to the vga port once windows loads. The dvi to vga solution worked. Yes the new crt emudriver fixes this but I have a fully XP system and I think the new driver is win7.