Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gauntlet Dark Legacy Vegas I/O board  (Read 3075 times)

kvnjcksn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2017, 10:30:03 am
  • In way over my head!
Gauntlet Dark Legacy Vegas I/O board
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:24:22 am »
I picked up a nice looking Gauntlet dark legacy game from a local collector that he tried to fix and gave up on. First thing I noticed was the fan over the video card was bad and I was getting code EU on the display. I found a generic Voodoo 2 12mb card on ebay and now I have video. On to the next issue. It codes that the U44 eprom is bad. Oh look, its in backwards! So the eprom is fried. Does anybody know where I can buy one? Would this backwards eprom burn the Vegas I/O board too? Thanks!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:34:20 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Gauntlet Dark Legacy Vegas I/O board
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:02:14 pm »
the eeprom has a generic equivalent. (specs say U44 is a 27C256 and is the "Vegas SIO Audio Boot ROM" ) just a matter of getting a new chip... burning the data and plopping it in. Not 100% (I don't own the game) but that should be your spec. double check... the old rom should say what size it is.

eeprom writers are cheap cheap on ebay (under 30 bucks) make sure it does EEPROMS in the 27XXXXX series...some sold will only do PIC microcontrollers ... serial eeproms...MCU's junk thak that.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Universal-PIC-FLASH-MPU-EPROM-Programmer-for-car-bios-27C256-27C512-U03-/200902210315?hash=item2ec6b4730b:g:cCsAAMXQDK1Rqaj6

you can google up "gauntlet dark legacy arcade rom" and find a place to download all the MAME files for the game... one of them will be what you need for that rom. (sorry no linky here for that)

kvnjcksn

• Offline Offline
  • In way over my head!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 11:42:44 am »
I emailed Steph at hobbyroms.com about 11pm last night and he responded right back. He is sending me the U44 EPROM from Canada for $15. Fingers crossed that this is it.

I am discouraged a little now though. Someone wrote "unrepairable" on a label inside the case with a blue marker. They also wrote "U44" on the EPROM I am replacing with the same blue marker. It looks like I am doing the same thing someone else has already tried. My hope is the PCB is still good.

The good news is the monitor just needs capped and all the controls work. The test menu also works so I feel like I am making some progress. The cabinet is super clean inside and out with no damage.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:44:34 am by kvnjcksn »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:34:20 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 12:12:31 pm »
well for starters... installing U44 in backwards is not helping things  :lol

swap the rom and go from there...

kvnjcksn

• Offline Offline
  • In way over my head!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 07:22:55 pm »
I got anxious and pulled a U44 eprom from a spare War Final Assault board set and I am back in business. Still waiting on my eprom from hobbyroms.com so when it gets here I will put everything back. The new fans will be here tomorrow. The stock fans have sleeve bearings and from what I have read they are not designed to be mounted horizontal so I upgraded them as well. I am thinking about dropping the War cpu board in it now because it has a faster cpu. The War boards are nasty and covered with Pepsi and dust. Whats the best way to clean them without damaging?