Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TCA - Ghouls n' Ghosts Project cab pickup and Restoration!  (Read 531 times)

ChanceKJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
TCA - Ghouls n' Ghosts Project cab pickup and Restoration!
« on: February 11, 2017, 04:30:00 pm »
I recently picked up a Dynamo HS-1 project cab to start a Ghouls n' Ghosts restoration. I have a repro control panel coming in from Texas, and soon i need to get my hands on the art package from TOG. Pretty excited about this one, as its a favourite memory from my youth.  Cabinet is in amazing shape, very little wood damage, and just needs a teardown, some minor bondo cleanup, and some new paint.

I have a massively cool pickup/restoration coming soon on the horizon as well, so i want to try and get this one done in record time. Here's the video and some pictures!

https://youtu.be/fxd4J3ve5bY

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
Re: TCA - Ghouls n' Ghosts Project cab pickup and Restoration!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 07:17:46 pm »
That doesn't look too bad. I like the screw through the t-molding. Awesome game, good luck with the restore.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • 說好話 做好事 存好心
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 07:34:13 pm »
thanks for the pix.

That is a gnarly chunk out of the front. Bondo fill or cut and replace the wood?
2014 Standup UCA Runner Up
2015 Restoration UCA Winner
2016 thomas_surles choice award

Latest project:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150902.0.html
RedheadKingPinball aka GingerBalls

Latest Restore?
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152600.0.html
Killer Instinct Cab

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Online Online
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 07:57:02 pm »
I like those control panels where you just need to replace that little plate. Since I have access to a plasma cutter, I'd be making myself panels left and right if I had one of those.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 12:29:15 am »
Adding Bondo for sure, only that little bit is bad and I can reshape it for sure. I gotta strip all the paint and base layer of vinyl off first.

That's kinda my plan with this panel. However that's for another project as it's coming out in favor of an actual repro GnG panel I have coming from Texas.

Gonna start working on this sometime this week.

JoshODBrown

• Offline Offline
  • It's better to get pissed off than pissed on.
    • The Canadian Arcade
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:57:46 am »
For that corner, or any corner where its not quite a large enough bit of damage to warrant just cutting out the corner and adding in a new piece of wood.. I've had good results adding in either a bit of wooden doweling rods, or some screws to act as a sort of as rebar for when i formed bondo around it, just to give it a little bit of strength/durability. If you try to rebuild the corner from just bondo alone , at some point in the future if it happens to gets a bit of force on that corner (getting kicked or banged around), it might just snap out the chunk of bondo. I used screws on my Joust corner touchup a few years back, wish I took pictures of it, but its held up great, and you'd never know it was repaired that way.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • 說好話 做好事 存好心
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 07:44:21 am »
I use dowels too, for this cab I'd get some corner guards to go over the repair work
2014 Standup UCA Runner Up
2015 Restoration UCA Winner
2016 thomas_surles choice award

Latest project:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150902.0.html
RedheadKingPinball aka GingerBalls

Latest Restore?
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152600.0.html
Killer Instinct Cab

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • 8 Bit...16 Shy
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:22:05 am »
If the corner is supposed to be square I've had good luck patching in plywood.  It holds better than bondo for the corners.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103771.msg1536604.html#msg1536604

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 03:23:16 pm »
Making some progress on the teardown.

JoshODBrown and I stripped down the cab to the shell. Then the next day i went at the front and sides with a heat gun to remove the vinyl covering. This thing is in amazing condition now that i have all that black plastic painted with grey paint off.   The plan is to repaint, not recover. I want to get a little crafty with the paint finishes and find a nice satin and semi-gloss to roll on with foam rollers. Back in September i worked on a cocktail project for a my old boss and had good results with the same finish.

The one corner isn't too bad, structurally  it wont need much to be repaired. That will be the next step, and will be included in the next episode of the restoration on TCA.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Hello pants.
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:00:49 am »
WHY DO ALL YOUR BEGINNING POSTS HAVE SUCH A LARGE FONT?  ITS NOT LIKE ANYONE IS GOING TO OVERSHADOW IT...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31