Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame setup with 2nd monitor - help  (Read 5588 times)

kronz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2018, 08:18:19 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Mame setup with 2nd monitor - help
« on: February 11, 2017, 03:44:36 pm »
Hello,

I have a mame setup (v0.182/using mame64.exe) and its working fine on one monitor. My new computer this is on has 2 monitors plugged into it (one via hdmi, second on dvi) and I would like the ability to put marquee's on the 2nd monitor while I play my mame games on the 1st monitor.

Both monitors are working fine in Windows 7. I have tried to do some research and test a few things out but cannot get both monitors working.

What I have tried:
- testing with dkong in mame
- added dkong.png into the artwork folder. Also tried with the dkong.zip (with the png and default.lay) - Is this the correct way to add it?
- Enabled marquees in mame
- In mame.ini adjusted the following:
------------------------------------------
screen                    auto
aspect                    auto
resolution                auto
view                      auto
screen0                   auto
aspect0                   auto
resolution0               auto
view0                     Standard
screen1                   auto
aspect1                   auto
resolution1               auto
view1                     Marquee
----------------------------------------------
- Tried mame at this point and it didn't work (nothing displayed on the 2nd monitor)
- Tried to enable a second monitor inside mame > video, although when I do this and launch a dkong the main screen goes black, and a window does appear on the second screen but it is all white - from here a force quit is needed. Anyone know what this happened? is there something else I need to enable in mame?
- Disabling the 2nd screen in mame gets me back to mame working with dkong but only one screen.
- tried using mame hooker but it didn't help.

I'm hoping that mame itself can do what I'm looking to do, rather than having to use mame hooker or something else.

Does any have any insight on this?

Thanks!!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Mame setup with 2nd monitor - help
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:10:56 pm »
In the OSD options section of your mame.ini look for the "numscreens" option.  (Hint, it should be 2).

kronz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2018, 08:18:19 am
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:16:08 pm »
Howard_Casto - thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have tried this. I believe its the same as going into mame > video options and switching it to 2 monitors. Actually with the problem I mentioned earlier with the screens going black when I had 2 monitors selected in mame - I was able to revert back by going into mame.ini and switching numscreens back to 1.

So, unless I'm off here - I think there is something more needed here.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 07:49:00 pm »
You must have two monitors turned on.  It is supposed to turn black.  You also need an artwork file made up for each game, in a zip (or in a folder) within the artwork folder.  In addition, said artwork must have a marquee element and that element must be named "marquee". 

If you are using mamehooker, you set it to one monitor and follow my tutorial on the site.  With it you need plain old marquee pngs in the folder specified in your display file and the second monitor must be physically on in extended desktop mode.

Hope that helps. 

viajante

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2023, 12:19:13 am
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 09:52:23 am »
MAME up to 0.161 always works for me with 2 monitor setup and marquee on 2nd screen. Just followed MrDo website guides to make it work. I also have a few games using complex lay files using interactive images and works well.
As of MAME 0.162 the artwork no longer works on secondary monitor and MAME crashes when I try to launch. After check I figure out the problems occurs when enable d3d on mame.ini (video option). If choose gdi video option on mame.ini it works but it is unplayable w/o d3d hardware acceleration.
As of MAME 0.162 they combined MAME and MESS and something happened on d3d option and multi monitors. Im going to subscribe on mamedev to submit it and see if anyone else has identified this issue as well.