Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cutting Parts Using CNC Router ???  (Read 7519 times)

CaptainMarvel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2020, 04:49:55 pm
Cutting Parts Using CNC Router ???
« on: February 10, 2017, 02:15:00 pm »
I'm not sure if this question has been asked/answered dozens of times over, but has anyone used a CNC Router to carve out their arcade cabinet parts?

If so, what kind of CNC Router machine do you use?  (DIY, Commercial)?

Which design and coding program did you use?

Any pics or videos you can share?

THANK YOU !!!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:17:16 pm by CaptainMarvel »
TOM

Understanding that you may not see success instantly, but that all your good decisions add up to a cumulative success over time is what separates those who "get there" and those who don't. Every day you either get further away from your goals, or closer to them . . . Its up to YOU."

Jim1031

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2018, 03:31:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Cutting Parts Using CNC Router ???
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 03:43:22 pm »
I use a CNCRouter Parts 4848 machine, for software I use Vcarve Pro and Sketchup.

bdn103

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:29:59 pm
    • Classic Arcade Cabinets - FREE arcade cabinet build plans, printable PDFs and CNC plans
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 07:23:55 pm »

I also use a PRO4896 from CNCRouterParts router with a 7hp water cooled spindle and a  pile of other upgrades.

There are a few pictures at www.classicarcadecabinets.com

I'm not sure if this question has been asked/answered dozens of times over, but has anyone used a CNC Router to carve out their arcade cabinet parts?

If so, what kind of CNC Router machine do you use?  (DIY, Commercial)?

Which design and coding program did you use?

Any pics or videos you can share?

THANK YOU !!!

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:26:48 pm »

Cutting a bartop.   :cheers:

UEDan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2019, 05:54:08 am

WoodChucksCNC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2019, 03:37:17 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 02:14:03 am »
I use a MultiCam 4'x8' with ATC. I use Aspire by Vectric for CAD/CAM and Solidworks to design with.
www. woodchuckscnc.com

WoodChucksCNC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2019, 03:37:17 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 06:06:07 pm »
I just added a 64" latex printer, cutter and laminator to my arsenal. I will post some pics later this weekend.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 08:47:19 pm »
I just certified on the Shopbot at my makerspace and am drooling at the chance to cut a cab.  I have to buy my own bits though and am not sure what to use.  I was originally thinking of compression bits, but what I am reading is that those are best for single pass cuts.  Upcut obviously tears out the top of ply, downcuts tear out the bottom.  After watching a bunch of videos comparing bit types, it seems I'd be best off going with a straight cut.  As far as material I'd love to use black melamine, but can't find a local source at a non-insane price.

bdn103

• Offline Offline
    • Classic Arcade Cabinets - FREE arcade cabinet build plans, printable PDFs and CNC plans
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 01:42:15 pm »
For melamine, the compression bits are your best option. Personally, I like to use the Whiteside UD2102 1/4" compression bits ($25-$35 each). Compression bits do not need to be run in single pass, but they do need to be run deep enough to allow the down cut portion of the spiral to clear the melamine top edge.  This will vary from bit to bit. For most of my melamine cuts, I use 3 passes.  Also, please be aware that melamine chips rather easily and the bits need to be sharp when cutting. As a result, I can only get 3-4 sheets of melamine (depending on pocketing) cut with a single bit before they start to chip. The bit is perfectly fine for cutting plywood and MDF in the future, but is not sharp enough to keep cutting melamine.  The melamine runs me about $38 per sheet when purchased in bulk. Good luck.

Brian

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 06:35:08 pm »
Awesome info, thanks!

I intend to change out the bit and just use a normal downcut for pockets.  So that should stretch the life.  I'm half tempted to just use a downcut for pockets and the first few profile cuts, then swap to an upcut for the last round.  Wondering if that would be more economical.

Toast55

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2019, 08:06:15 am
  • www.ericschimel.com
    • www.digitallyfabbed.com
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 09:50:48 am »
I cut cabinets like this all the time:

For this one I used Baltic Birch and a compression bit for the whole thing, except for the drill holes where I used an upspiral. I've got an air drill now so I don't have to swap out bits anymore.

The connectors on this cabinet were CNC'd in as well:

This allows for really fast assembly, disassembly for finishing, and re-assembly:

EddieM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2018, 09:50:55 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 07:30:53 pm »
Hello!
I'm new to the forum, and love seeing all the CNC action! I have a CNC as well, full size, open ended, vacuum table, spindle...etc.

I'm hoping to get into cutting arcade cabinets very soon!

bdn103

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 07:36:23 pm »
Hello!
I'm new to the forum, and love seeing all the CNC action! I have a CNC as well, full size, open ended, vacuum table, spindle...etc.

I'm hoping to get into cutting arcade cabinets very soon!

I have a pile of plans posted at www.classicarcadecabinets.com  There is a definite learning curve to the CNC if it is new to you. If you have questions about the plans, please reach out. I am most responsive to the website questions.

Thanks
Brian

feckman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2017, 09:49:12 am
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 12:40:59 pm »
Excellent information, I'm so glad to have found this forum!  I am a printer by trade and have recently added the same CNC as Brian -- a CNCRouterParts PRO4896 -- to my arsenal which also includes a Hypertherm plasma cutter and water table.  In my print shop, I have a number of Roland solvent-based and dye-sublimation printers, a pair of Canon aqueous printers, a 6-color screen printing press and a 4' x 8' Mimaki flatbed UV printer.  When I got to thinking about a good first project to combine all these machines, I immediately settled on the obvious: a classic video game console.

That said, I have no experience in milling so I'll be learning as I go along.  I'll be sure to post on my progress in addition to the million questions I'm sure to have.  Until then, I'll be reading info here and elsewhere.  :)