Software Support > Automated Projects

Yet another Rotary Joystick project

(1/3) > >>

Ginsonic:
I just finished the first (mechanical) part of my brand new Rotary Joystick project. I decided to construct all pieces by myself in 3D and print them out using my Witbox 2 3D printer (PLA).
Attached you see the pictures of the assembled stick and handle and the construction desktop of  the single parts. I used a standard SANWA shaft and spring, the rest is printed stuff (even the tiny E-ring  ;) )
In theory (mechanically) it works great, let's see, what the controller part will bring...

The electrical part is a Lorlin CK1028 12pos rotary switch, later on I will connect both joysticks to an arduino micro to handle the rotary keyboard presses for MAME.

DaOld Man:
Looks good!

BadMouth:
I love the LS-30 style top!

Please share your arduino sketch once it's done.  :angel:

What do the detents on that rotary switch feel like?
I'm using an ALPs switch that I bought off ebay and the detents feel perfect, but the switch costs $5-6 on ebay and doesn't appear to be commonly available elsewhere.

Years ago I built a rotary setup using a 16 postion optical rotary encoder from sparkfun, but you could barely feel the detents.  The ALPs gives a satisfying snap to position.  (but not too strong)

Ginsonic:

--- Quote from: BadMouth on February 07, 2017, 12:19:08 pm ---I love the LS-30 style top!

--- End quote ---
Me too, especially the haptics is great.

--- Quote from: BadMouth on February 07, 2017, 12:19:08 pm ---Please share your arduino sketch once it's done.  :angel:

--- End quote ---
Sure, I just finished both rotaries and I will start the electrical/programming part soon.

--- Quote from: BadMouth on February 07, 2017, 12:19:08 pm ---What do the detents on that rotary switch feel like?
I'm using an ALPs switch that I bought off ebay and the detents feel perfect, but the switch costs $5-6 on ebay and doesn't appear to be commonly available elsewhere.
Years ago I built a rotary setup using a 16 postion optical rotary encoder from sparkfun, but you could barely feel the detents.  The ALPs gives a satisfying snap to position.  (but not too strong)

--- End quote ---
Same here, the detents feel just right, not too strong but clearly noticable.
I first wanted to use a real rotary sensor, but it didn't feel right, and there was a too high probability to rotate unintentionally when using the 4-way joystick.

Ginsonic:
Next step is finished ! I soldered 11 resistors (1.2k) between the twelve pins of the switch, so that the whole construction acts like a potentiometer (three wire solution).
First tests using an Arduino Micro were pretty succesfull, I now will implement the final sketch. The main advantage is, that you need only one analog input for one rotary stick, so an Arduino can handle up to twelve sticks (theoretically ! Who in the world needs twelve rotary sticks ?  ;) )
The Arduino Micro can act as a native HID controller, so that keyboard, joystick and mouse commands can be natively sent to the PC over USB.
I already used a Arduino Leonardo using HID in my Pinball cabinet as a keyboard/joystick controller for plunger and nudging, works like a charm.

Links:
http://jespereklund.blogspot.co.at/2011/10/rotary-selector-switch-for-arduino.html
https://github.com/NicoHood/HID

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version