I'm coming along, slowly, on my mame arcade cabinet...ready now to start seriously getting work done on building my control panel...but was hoping to get help/guidance before not doing something right :/
So...I'm working with a 2 player control panel that is 13 1/4 x 26 5/8. I would like to use the attached 8 button per player layout template from Slagcoin, linked below. There will also be a start button above each player and 2 admin buttons at the very top center of the panel.
I'm using this button kit:https://gameroomsolutions.com/shop/2-player-led-arcade-control-panel-bundle-kit/
The joysticks are zippy round tops. The buttons are illuminated/led 1 1/8 (1.125).
My control panel is 3/4 inch plywood.
Ok, so my questions (there's a lot, sorry!!!!):
1. I need help understanding the concept of the slagcoin template, "slanted" player 2 template (see attached), both the templates and the picture of my panel. Is this the correct way to line up both templates for player 1 and player 2
1a. Per the template, player 2 is "tilted". Does this mean that the base of the joystick of player 1 should be straight/parallel with the edge of the cab but player should also "titled" underneath the panel? I don't really understand this concept....the base of the joystick is 2 1/8 inches x 3 3/4 inches.
1b. I'm really hoping someone could generally advise me on the draft measurements picture I attached to help confirm if I'm on the right path or not
2. Regarding mounting the joysticks & buttons - It's my understanding that routing will have to be involved given that the joystick shaft is 49.35mm and the plywood is 3/4 inches, so my questions are:
2a. How deep do I need to route for the joystick base underneath the bottom?
2b. Do I need to also route for the 1 1/8 buttons? If so, how deep?
2c. What dimensions should I route for the base of the joystick underneath?
3. I am hoping to attach the joysticks underneath so that the screws/bolts do not show on top of the control panel. Given that I will need to route (i think? question 2a.) Will I have enough wood left to screw through the holes underneath? If not, how would one attach/secure it given these conditions?
4. Fast forward to getting the holes drilled....I'm still trying to decide if I should have plexiglass or rely solely on the graphics from gameongrafix.com
4a. Will plexi make the difference as far as nice/clean looking? Or will the graphics sheet look fine on it's own and ALSO be durable from time/play?
4b. If I do get plexi, how do you attach it to the control panel (over the art) and NOT have screws/bolts visible from the top of the control panel?
4c. What type of preparation do you need to do to the bare plywood before attaching the graphics? Also, I see that you have the option from gameongraphix.com to order an adhesive backing or not, what is the better method and what are the consequences of each?
5. I was hoping to sneak in a question about powering the LED lights - what exactly do I need to do this and where does it plug in? Is it a separate power supply or do I somehow connect them to the computer power supply? If the latter, what do I need to purchase in order to make that connection?
6. Any other general tips/things I should look out for?
***EDIT - 1 more question!!!! - I am supposed to route first BEFORE drilling holes, is this correct?****
I know this was a lot of questions and I appreciate any help I can get. Just trying to be specific to try to avoid messing everything up, lol!!!