Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ASUS VN248H-P  (Read 1642 times)

rootbeer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2018, 10:06:41 am
ASUS VN248H-P
« on: February 05, 2017, 08:16:06 pm »
I think I've settled on an ASUS VN248H-P for the stand-up cabinet I'm planning on building. It's on sale 44% off (+$20 rebate) at Newegg this week:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236335

It's a 23.8" 16:9 IPS LCD. The vertical screen height is about 1/4" more than a 19" 4:3, which seems like a decent size.

Given that I'm not interested in a CRT or a 4:3 LCD, and I don't think I want to go too big, are there any obvious downsides to this monitor?

jmferris

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2017, 11:04:41 am
Re: ASUS VN248H-P
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 07:40:25 pm »
My experience with these for gaming is limited.  I do own a pair of these, which have a primary duty of my main development monitors in my home office.  Just last weekend, I hooked up the system that will eventually get housed in my upcoming cabinet build to one of them.  The response time is good, and the black contrast ratio is outstanding.  In general, everything I run is dark themed, from my OS to Visual Studio.  It is the sort of build quality that I expect from ASUS, overall.

As for my testing, I did run at native resolution for a while, and the stretching was noticeable, but not to the point it was distracting.  By comparison, I have a 32" Ultrawide LG that I use for a workbench machine, as it has multiple inputs.  If I run on that, it is comical (because of the 21:9 aspect ratio).  However, on the ASUS, I did spend some time playing with it forced to a 4:3 through ATI Catalyst, and you do not lose as much space as you might think you would, should you decide to try something similar, at some point.

For me, pros outweigh the cons - mainly because I do not have any cons for this monitor (apart from the fact that I wish I had the room on my desk for a pair of the 27" ones, and that it is a fraction of what I paid for mine).  I've left both of mine on 24/7 since I've purchased them, and there are no adverse effects to it.  Between the two that I have and the two that my wife has, no dead pixels, no artifacting, and the color is pretty consistent between all four of them.  Whether for a cabinet or general computing use, I would not hesitate on them, should I be in the market for monitors.

rootbeer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2018, 10:06:41 am
Re: ASUS VN248H-P
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:17:13 pm »
Thanks for the details, JMF! I ended up purchasing one (just before noticing your post!). It seems like a quite a good sale price, and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in a monitor (assuming compromise in the face of non-infinite dollars). I have three ASUS VN247H-P -- which are similar, but TN panels -- on my main desktop computer, and I'm quite happy with them. Looking forward to moving on with my cabinet design now!