Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: .  (Read 8859 times)

ChanceKJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« on: February 05, 2017, 06:32:06 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:29:30 am by ChanceKJ »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: TCA - Robotron Restoration Part 3: Assembly!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 07:47:47 pm »
Ugh. What a waste of a great game.

JoshODBrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2020, 07:05:52 pm
  • It's better to get pissed off than pissed on.
    • The Canadian Arcade
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 08:58:09 pm »
Ugh. What a waste of a great game.

Exactly, I think it was much better as a broken down Shinobi with bukake stains down the sides of it like we found it!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:03:11 pm »

Putting your fantasies aside, I'm sick of seeing you guys take techniques you've learned off this forum without giving credit, and propagating it to your shameful representation of Canada (ffs put some pride in your logo instead of picking a font and putting a stroke around it)  while shilling for YouTube clicks when even Chance has "preached" about the spirit of this forum in the past.

Hypocrisy at it finest.
How about posting your progress logs here instead of shilling your vids? Isnt that the spirit of this forum?
How about giving credit to those you learned from here?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 08:25:16 am by HaRuMaN »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 09:13:47 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:29:51 am by ChanceKJ »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 09:26:48 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:29:55 am by ChanceKJ »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 09:36:34 pm »
Enh, none of my business. Have a great evening everyone!!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 09:53:53 pm by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 09:41:10 pm »
Nice deflection, but you didn't answer my questions. Why haven't you contributed to this forum since the onset of your YouTube channel?

Of course you stand by your comments in that instigram thread because you're a coward who felt the need to stroke your narcissism by throwing fellow members of the forum under the bus trying to make it seem like you're some sort of authority on how people should post their opinions here. Or that you have some kind of idea of the spirit of the forum.
Posting your progress here IS the spirit of this forum. Not for shilling your channel.

And though it wasn't directed at me, it was directed at members who have been here contributing a long time before you arrived, AND who have been contributing while you have abandoned the spirit of this place.
I respect those members, and respect their contributions. They give credit where credit is due. They stay humble and take opinions whether negative or not, like champs. You just siphon what you can from here, repurposing it on your vids, and get butthurt when anyone has a different opinion than yours.
That's seriously wrong, man.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 09:46:12 pm by opt2not »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 09:56:58 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:30:02 am by ChanceKJ »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 10:12:08 pm »
You can call me a troll all you want. I'll own that when it comes to you, because of the aforementioned actions you've made. Posting grievances of forum members outside of the forum, and threatening to go to the mods to tattle on them...how is that not cowardice? It's like hockey, what's on the ice stays on the ice.  Just own up to it, man.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 10:21:48 pm »
Here's the fundamental problem with posting your vids. Posterity. What happens if your vid goes down? Or if YouTube decides some policy on copyright or whatever and restricts that vid?
At least when posting here there is a better chance of keeping the information you want to contribute secured from loss.
This is why we always tell people to post their build logs and pictures here rather than linking to external sources. I get you want to "up your game", but that doesn't mean you can't post the way the spirit of the  community expects.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 10:51:21 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:30:07 am by ChanceKJ »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 11:17:20 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:30:12 am by ChanceKJ »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 12:22:56 pm »
First, i am still sharing my progress here. thats what this video is. My build progress. It lives on Youtube due to the technical limitations of the forums. I've chosen to evolve my usual build threads from picture and text to video. Thats my choice.  I'm still spreading the progress. I just find it more entertaining and reaches more people this way.

I already know you're going to call me a troll but Im hoping you'll hear me out.

Can you see the post from some one else's perspective? You start a thread and the only real content is a link to your youtube video. Stating its due to a limitation of the forum is disingenuous at best. If you just have to post a video because text and pictures limits you too much creatively, how about you cut your intros off, host them on vimeo/vine/tinypic/etc and let us watch them without any chance (PUN!) of you getting paid for us watching it?

Beyond that, you have, in the past,  posted the same video more than once, in multiple sections. For example you posted the "how to build a nintendo base" video in both the project section (even though its not a project) and the restoration section (even though its not a restoration).  When it could have easily been posted in your pinned Nintendo cab thread. It just feels like the preference is pushing the channel over putting the content where it belongs.

That being said, I prefer to have pictures and text over video. So feel free to take some pix of the restore , slap a big ass Canadian Arcade logo in to corner and post it here. I love me some restores.

Here's the interesting fact, we only ever get negative response on two of those places: Reddit, and here on the BYOAC.  Surprisingly, we get less then a quarter of the negative response on Reddit then we do here. 
Isn't the first rule of show business to "know your audience" ? If you consistently get negative response here, why keep linking to all your videos? If it makes you feel better I'd be happy to start complaining on Reddit, Pinside, and KLOV as well.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:44:00 pm by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 12:53:51 pm »
I have no problem with Chance posting his videos here.  None at all.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 02:26:09 pm »
 ::)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:15:49 pm by opt2not »

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 11:22:11 am »
With a bajillion hobby related video channels these days... They all just ooze an essence vanity and ego self stroking. These machines are decades old. All the information is already out there. All these new videos are exhaustively redundant.
%Bartop

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 04:33:43 pm »
I have no problem with Chance posting his videos here.  None at all.

This ^^ 

Isn't the first rule of show business to "know your audience" ? If you consistently get negative response here, why keep linking to all your videos? If it makes you feel better I'd be happy to start complaining on Reddit, Pinside, and KLOV as well.

Because you and the handful of people that complained aren't in the majority and aren't the only ones who use this site?
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:39:05 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 06:54:19 pm »
Is it a Canadian thing to reply to your own posts?  I'm down with french fries and gravy but that's kinda weird.

It's also weird not to be at the center of forum drama. Anyway, I think you're both pretty.

:dunno

JoshODBrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2020, 07:05:52 pm
  • It's better to get pissed off than pissed on.
    • The Canadian Arcade
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 07:01:33 pm »
I'm down with french fries and gravy but that's kinda weird.

You forgot the cheese curds...

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 10:15:31 pm »

Because you and the handful of people that complained aren't in the majority and aren't the only ones who use this site?
He said it not me. I looked on reddit, he doesnt get negative comments there. He doesnt get any comments except on a few pinball vids.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:39:05 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 10:25:52 pm »
Ah, reddit, the fountain of wisdom from the dateless that are too young to buy alcohol.

Lot of quality discourse happening there.

:lol

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 11:31:47 pm »
He said it not me. I looked on reddit, he doesnt get negative comments there. He doesnt get any comments except on a few pinball vids.

Don't think you understood what I was quoting...

Isn't the first rule of show business to "know your audience" ? If you consistently get negative response here, why keep linking to all your videos?

If you're not the audience then how hard is it to move along and ignore the thread instead of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- on it? It gets tedious to see a personal beef get rehashed under the guise of making the forum better.  ::)

Don't get the toxicity. :dunno Let the man post his videos, ignore them if you don't like them, simple as that.

Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 08:05:25 am »

If you're not the audience then how hard is it to move along and ignore the thread instead of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- on it? It gets tedious to see a personal beef get rehashed under the guise of making the forum better.  ::)

Don't get the toxicity. :dunno Let the man post his videos, ignore them if you don't like them, simple as that.

Toxicity? I not sure how you think I was shitting on this thread. I was cordial, expressed my opinion without attacking, and offered examples. I have no issue with him posting videos in appropriate sections, merely said that *I* prefer pictures and text, especially for restores. They are just easier to digest for *me*. There is no ruse in my previous post, has nothing to do with "making the forum better".  It is completely possible for him to have a video at the top, then pictures and text under that.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 09:58:02 am »
I think where some of these videos rub some people the wrong way is... BYOAC is a community. And these videos don't really engage the community (other than bitching about whether or not people like them). Usually a thread starts off with an explanation, back story, or question. The first paragraph of a thread either grabs someone's attention or it may cause them to hit the back button. BYOAC is a forum, and discussion keeps forums alive. Videos don't allow any room for discussion during viewing, and very little after. A build thread will usually draw out ideas and opinions from dozens of members, which is the whole point of this forum.

A hobby related video made to be broadcast across many different channels (forums, social media, etc) is not special. IMO, it's :spam:

Nothing wrong with making them if you want. But as Malenko said, "know your audience." And the vast majority of members on hobby related forums won't benefit much, since a lot of info in videos is just regurgitated. So on these forums, at best, all these videos really do is waste time to check out a project. In a forum environment, a write up with a hand full of pics will go much farther than a video. I'd rather spend 5 minutes reading the first post of a thread, than a half hour watching a video of something I've already done. By all means, keep posting the videos to youtube, that's where you will be much more likely to catch the attention of someone outside the hobby and draw them in. Here... well, we're all here already.
%Bartop

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 10:24:59 am »
Chance,

I enjoyed your video. It's informative and I actually learn a bit more from videos than a bunch of pictures. Keep up the good work at spreading the word on this hobby! Don't get discouraged! This is a place for everyone.

Ian
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 02:47:12 pm »
I'm of mixed minds on the videos.

They're definitely a drive-by (with a bit of bird-flipping) and don't foster community-building here, but the videos are pretty decent and enthusiastic. They save Chance and Josh from choosing one venue or another for restoration threads. Folks like me will generally check at all the relevant sites if we're looking for something, but not everybody does so same info on multiple sites can serve a purpose.

There are also some little tricks that folks typically don't talk about in project threads that get mention in the videos (I liked the power block clean-up and bolt refinishing). Sure the "I like to _____ with my projects" is a little grating when the practice is either common or you know the original (unattributed) source, but it isn't like saying "I came up with this really clever idea." Oddly, saying "it's a good idea to _____" is somehow less grating, despite being more authoritarian.

Having said that, there are folks on other boards who don't like them despite Chance's observed feedback. They're just quieter about it.

Side note:We post our videos on KLOV, BYOAC, CGCC, Pinside, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, and about a dozen Facebook groups, just to name a few

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 03:16:12 pm »
I'm of mixed minds on the videos.

They're definitely a drive-by (with a bit of bird-flipping) and don't foster community-building here, but the videos are pretty decent and enthusiastic. They save Chance and Josh from choosing one venue or another for restoration threads. Folks like me will generally check at all the relevant sites if we're looking for something, but not everybody does so same info on multiple sites can serve a purpose.

There are also some little tricks that folks typically don't talk about in project threads that get mention in the videos (I liked the power block clean-up and bolt refinishing). Sure the "I like to _____ with my projects" is a little grating when the practice is either common or you know the original (unattributed) source, but it isn't like saying "I came up with this really clever idea." Oddly, saying "it's a good idea to _____" is somehow less grating, despite being more authoritarian.

Having said that, there are folks on other boards who don't like them despite Chance's observed feedback. They're just quieter about it.

Side note:We post our videos on KLOV, BYOAC, CGCC, Pinside, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, and about a dozen Facebook groups, just to name a few

Cheffo the Wise.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 09:23:02 am »

And that goes both ways...
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 09:50:08 am »

As in all fora, the majority is silent.

The point I was making was a counter to Chase's jagged dig at BYOAC. After all, the public nature of the objections here tracks back to existing ill will between Chase and other members for perceived transgressions.

:cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 11:29:20 am »

There's also a third option, one that states that most people don't care one way or the other. :cheers:

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 02:13:56 pm »
I like the videos and only found out about them due to the forum post.  In fact, I subscribed to the channel.  As I was surfing around youtube I also notice delusionals channel.  Subscribed to that one too.

Don't like videos?  Don't care one way or the other?  Then don't read threads like this one.  Problems solved.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 02:25:10 pm »
Don't like videos?  Don't care one way or the other?  Then don't read threads like this one.  Problems solved.

I like the fact that Chase has been tagging the more recent threads with 'TCA' as it allows filtering.

Of course, telling people "then don't _____" is part of what caused this specific problem in the first place. That type of response only solves "the problem" if everybody else's perception of "the problem" is the same as yours.

PROTIP: It isn't. That's why :blowup: happens.

Ian

• Offline Offline