Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAPPER edit / change for NES Roms to make UNSUPPORTED games playable on the NESC  (Read 6688 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
I finally scored a Nintendo Classic / Mini. Yes I have a Raspberry Pi, Emu's, Original NES etc etc.. However with Hakchi2 2.11 is now out and virtually ALL NES games are supported. However if you look up a google.doc :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QTRTPODrhE5X55EciFsiQZaa-xVGlSD73Rt26Nd2rk0/edit#gid=587784428

which exists with games that are supported / playable. However one of my favorite games isn't playable / not supported ! Does a MAPPER editing program exist to fix this issue >? I'd like to be able to play one particular game which has an unsupported mapper, can any one patch the game ? Or let me know what program can fix this issue ?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Your post is worthless without naming the game in question.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
The game in question....I own it,..I'll give you a hint...

Sure that's a title I would love to see compatible with the NESC / mini (one of my personal fav's). However if you look at that google.doc sheet, about 80 games aren't supported due to MAPPER issues. I'm shocked that a program doesn't exist to fake / patch the games to all be fully compatible. I know many people really want Batman Return of The Joker as well. Surely someone can come up with a solution.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
The hakchi program automatically fixes a bunch of games.  Have you even attempted to load it?

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
No I can assure you as of now Thunder & Lightning isn't playable on the NES mini / classic due to an unsupported MAPPER... however this was just posted tonight which gives me hope that they will eventually fix Thunder & Lightning.

Madmonkey who originally created hakchi looks like he got batman return of the joker working... (previously unsupported mapper)

2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Haze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
'Mappers' are just a name given to extra hardware in the cartridges, usually to provide functionality that wouldn't normally be possible.  This can range from simple extended ROM/RAM capacity to much more complex hardware, even additional sound chips and the like.  (and on the SNES, things like the SuperFX chip)

'hacking' a mapper in the sense you're talking about would involve rewriting parts of the game code, and if nothing with similar capabilities was available, downgrading the game in the process.

even when it's a simple case of ROM/RAM banking it can be a significant undertaking to catch every piece of game code that relies on banked data and change it to work with another type of mapper, risking introducing bugs in the process.

it's a lot of effort just to make things run with an inferior, buggy, incomplete emulator just because that emulator was provided by Nintendo.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
more hope... now Madmonkey is about to release "retroarch" on the Nintendo Classic Edition / Mini. Should be out sometime next week as an official build.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
That's nuts.  This thing might stop interest in Raspberry Pi dead in its tracks provided it can emulate a decent amount of games.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Hakchi2 2.12 is out / just released...  ;D
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke