Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WG 9410 won't accept input: Resolved! - read last post on thread  (Read 2179 times)

robocrash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2017, 09:14:44 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
WG 9410 won't accept input: Resolved! - read last post on thread
« on: February 03, 2017, 04:15:46 pm »
I've got a Wells Gardner 27" 9410 that had been working just fine for a few years. 
Then it just stopped accepting video input.
The tube seems to be working just fine - on power up I get a message on the screen that says "No Signal Input"

Doesn't seem to be any of the normal problems that I see can be repaired. 

I have pulled the IP/Sync card and inspected visually for any sign of damage.  Re-connected all the ribbon cables that I can find.  Still no go.

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:05:15 am by robocrash »

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:08:42 pm
Re: WG 9410 won't accept input
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 06:49:30 pm »
i imagine you have already tried a different video source?

robocrash

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 07:12:10 pm »

Yes, verified that my source is not the problem.

Took my MAME computer to a buddy's house and plugged into his monitor - worked fine (he has a WG 9200)
Brought his MAME computer home and plugged it into my monitor - same "No Signal Input" message.

Repair dude is charging $140 travel and $70 for the first hour of labor.  Expensive.

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 04:17:27 am »
it is an odd fault,I would say the fault is on the neck card card or sync input board
chad at arcadecup has each of those items for pennies-i am not 100% saying it will fix the issue but I think its worth replacing both for the price of $24 plus shipping

robocrash

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 01:28:51 pm »
Just put an order in for both cards.  Thanks for the tip on Chads page.
Will report back once the cards arrive.

robocrash

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 09:05:38 pm »
Update:  Swapped out the neck card and sync card - but no change in behavior of monitor.
Video card:  Arcade VGA 5000 PCIe from Ultimarc

I did notice something very odd though:  The computer won't boot if the WG Arcade monitor is plugged into the ArcadeVGA card.  No hard drive activity, no motherboard boot sounds, just hangs at the power on light with fans blowing.

If I remove the WG monitor and attach a normal PC monitor to the DVI port, the computer boots normally.
With no monitors attached, the computer boots normally - and I can plug in the PC monitor and get a normal desktop.  If I boot with no monitors attached, then plug in the WG arcade monitor, then I still get nothing on the Arcade screen.

Something is stopping my computer from booting, and it only happens when the WG monitor is plugged in.  I've never seen this with a bad monitor in the past.

Still stumped.

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 08:11:18 am »
have you tried booting pc and plug in vga after?

robocrash

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 12:40:50 pm »
Yes - from my previous message:
"With no monitors attached, the computer boots normally - and I can plug in the PC monitor and get a normal desktop.  If I boot with no monitors attached, then plug in the WG arcade monitor, then I still get nothing on the Arcade screen."

Grabbed my buddy's MAME machine and noticed that he is running an older Arcade VGA card that fits into an AGP slot on the motherboard.  This computer works great with his WG9200.
Plugged in my WG9410 and booted up and I could see the motherboard splash screen and the Windows splash screen seriously out of sync trying desperately trying to lock in behind the No Signal Input message on the monitor.  This is actually farther than I have gotten so far - at least something is getting through.

Now I'm starting to wonder if my newer ArcadeVGA cards are starting with a preset out of spec for my monitor - so no input is detected.  Weird though that the with the WG plugged in the workstation won't boot at all.

Still reading forum posts and digging through manuals....

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 03:58:49 pm »
i wonder if one of the fet's is short

robocrash

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 09:04:12 am »
Success!!!  Finally fixed the problem.  I sent an email to Andy at Ultimarc to describe the problems I'm seeing and he responded with this:

>Actually I have heard of this before but it was not a W-G. But different manufacturers use common chassis.
>The problem was a design fault on the monitor which connected a signal to ground which should not be. I cant remember which >signal it was but I think if you disconnect unused pins it will work

>Ie pins  9 11 12 15

>If the cable is molded you might need to snap the pins off. There is no issue with this as none of these are used by the >ArcadeVGA card.

Broke off the pins as instructed, attached the modified cable to the WG and the computer booted normally and into a windows desktop screen.  So now I have a working MAME machine, and a couple extra boards in case I need repairs again down the road. 

Thanks Grantspain for hanging in there with me.  I'm not sure what a FET is, but clearly there was a short coming back from the monitor that prevented the computer from booting.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:06:32 am by robocrash »

grantspain

• Offline Offline
Re: WG 9410 won't accept input: Resolved! - read last post on thread
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 09:06:50 am »
cool at least its all sorted