Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pedestal Xero  (Read 18842 times)

zerohex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2021, 01:39:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Pedestal Xero
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 04:40:44 pm »
Love the CP.  I'm in the process of building my first arcade cab and you have me rethinking my CP.  Maybe I should add a 6inch screen to mine as I was looking for a cool, clean way to display game info. 
Can the screen also display controls for whatever game your in?  Also, what screen are you using?

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 02:07:05 pm
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2015, 10:17:35 pm »
Love the CP.  I'm in the process of building my first arcade cab and you have me rethinking my CP.  Maybe I should add a 6inch screen to mine as I was looking for a cool, clean way to display game info. 
Can the screen also display controls for whatever game your in?  Also, what screen are you using?

Thanks! I love the CP too!

Screen: It's a 12-inch screen from a dead Lenovo laptop. You can get controller boards for almost any old laptop screen on ebay or amazon. Beware, most ship from China, so you'll be waiting a few weeks. I did find a seller on Amazon that was in the states and got my controller board within a week.

You can have MameMarquee display ANY text file that corresponds to the rom name, and you can layer several different images, as well as videos and HitoText high scores. You can do custom text, game info in text...tons of stuff and the add-on is under active development so i know more is coming down the pipe.

EmuMovies has tons of art and this site does as well: http://www.progettosnaps.net/marquees/

The secondary monitor certainly isn't needed but it is a nice wow factor.

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2015, 10:45:00 pm »
Been out of the game for awhile, where do you get those sweet joysticks?
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2015, 07:35:09 am »
Been out of the game for awhile, where do you get those sweet joysticks?

GameRoomSolutions

chito

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2023, 12:29:26 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2016, 01:32:28 am »
Please don't angle your players 3 and 4 joysticks! :(

Noted- I'll change this. Thanks!!! ;D

Why wouldnt you angle the joysticks? It would be weird to play with controls that arent orientated to the way the player is facing

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2016, 08:51:06 am »

Why wouldnt you angle the joysticks? It would be weird to play with controls that arent orientated to the way the player is facing
No. The 4 player gods will smite. All joysticks should be oriented the same. Though player 3 and 4 will be at a slight angle it only makes sense for them to move the stick in line with the monitor.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2016, 08:54:14 am »

You would think that... Until you actually try it. Don't angle.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2016, 09:13:22 am »
This is what Scott just posted in the Simpsons thread.

Ive got a question about the joysticks orientation... Why arent they orientated parallel to the player, instead of parallel to the front and back?
From the FAQ:
(wiki is still down, but here's a link to a copy on the Internet Wayback Machine)

Orientation
It is important to note that joysticks should always be mounted parallel to the screen since it is intuitive for a player to move the joystick in relation to the action on the screen. This might seem not obvious in 4-player designs, but experience has proved that this holds true even if the player is standing diagonal towards the screen. Therefore it is advised not to angle joysticks for players 3 and 4. P3, P1, and P2 joysticks are shown parallel, while P4 joystick is shown angled.

Scott

yoi_23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2016, 08:46:13 pm
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2016, 12:39:57 pm »
Hi Xerobull I need the PSD you created for your Pedestal Xero. You say I'll happily post the PSD files when I have a finished product. Cant you provide me the PSD please.  :)

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2019, 05:21:19 pm »
Hi Xerobull I need the PSD you created for your Pedestal Xero. You say I'll happily post the PSD files when I have a finished product. Cant you provide me the PSD please.  :)

Hey, I'm back after a long hiatus- if you still need this please PM me. The file is massive at 400mb.

On another front, I upgraded the monitor on this to a 55" as it was left over from a TV upgrade in another room. I'm going to upgrade the buttons and sticks to better quality RGB LED (probably Ultimarc)...going to use these sticks and buttons to refurbish the Arcade1up cabs I picked up on discount. Also doing work updating Hyperspin with new systems and romsets. I'll post pics and a video soon.

ifr20

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2019, 06:26:07 pm
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2019, 05:33:05 pm »

Hey, I'm back after a long hiatus- if you still need this please PM me. The file is massive at 400mb.

On another front, I upgraded the monitor on this to a 55" as it was left over from a TV upgrade in another room. I'm going to upgrade the buttons and sticks to better quality RGB LED (probably Ultimarc)...going to use these sticks and buttons to refurbish the Arcade1up cabs I picked up on discount. Also doing work updating Hyperspin with new systems and romsets. I'll post pics and a video soon.

Hi can you share the psd, I am new on this, and want to build my own pedestal, try to sent you a pm but it didnt work

Regards

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2019, 02:47:14 pm »
Added a download to the PSD (Photoshop) file to the original post. LINK to Control Panel PSD (Photoshop) File

Added a picture of the dimensions of the pedestal portion to the original post. I recall that the cp case was a little less deep than I anticipated but it still fit on the base.

I had someone ask me about the embedded monitor. For the embedded monitor, I re-purposed a small laptop monitor with an LCD Controller board. THESE ARE MONITOR SPECIFIC. Ask the seller if it is compatible with your monitor.

Here's the one i purchased on eBay

Here's another one on Amazon

(I also put this in the first post)

To add the embedded monitor, I cut out the size of the monitor then routed out a space for the plexiglass. I'll add a pic of the underside of the monitor when I get home.

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 02:04:11 pm »
Got my Ultimarc RGB Buttons, new control boards and sticks in yesterday. Not only was Andy @ Ultimarc great with support and questions, they ship AMAZINGLY fast from London. It left Tuesday AM (American Central Time) and hit my door in Texas Wednesday afternoon. I couldn't believe it- I've traveled to London and it was barely faster to go in person. THANKS, Ultimarc!

I'll post pics of the new setup when it's done and a full review of the buttons, etc.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 04:16:28 pm
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 03:33:05 am »
Great looking build, kids are obviously enjoying the pedestal, has to make it all worth while..

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/wall-plates/legrand-reg-in-wall-dual-cable-access-kit/ht2004whv1/p-1444451177220-c-1489667504662.htm?tid=-4570085088722867351&ipos=2

that is what I used to hide the cables for the monitor behind the wall, in case you wanted to do that..

- Zeosstud
Rodney Butler

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2019, 08:38:24 pm »
Got my Ultimarc RGB LED leaf buttons in as well as two iPac Ultimates, and wired it up this weekend. I'm waiting on the RGB joystick knobs to come back into stock so I can order as well. Once I get everything installed, I will run rocketblinky to set the RGB sequences. I'm also 'rebuilding' Hyperspin.

Great looking build, kids are obviously enjoying the pedestal, has to make it all worth while..

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/wall-plates/legrand-reg-in-wall-dual-cable-access-kit/ht2004whv1/p-1444451177220-c-1489667504662.htm?tid=-4570085088722867351&ipos=2

that is what I used to hide the cables for the monitor behind the wall, in case you wanted to do that..

- Zeosstud
Rodney Butler

Thanks, Z- I have a similar solution on order from Monoprice. I've moved everything into my garage, which I've converted into a 'fam-cave'/gym. I insulated and sealed the doors and added a split unit AC. Pics will be posted when I'm further along.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 04:16:28 pm
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2019, 01:06:52 am »
I look forward to seeing your new setup!!