Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver turning off display??  (Read 585 times)

Slider1385

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CRT Emudriver turning off display??
« on: February 02, 2017, 10:06:50 pm »
I've fought with this and now it's time to ask for some advice.  I'm trying to get the drivers installed.  I'm following Calamity's instructions found here http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=298.  I have a XFX HD 4850 card I'm using attached to a Audio Authority 9A60A on a 27" Samsung Dynaflat. (Windows 7)

Everything seems to go great, I get everything installed with VMMaker and then go into display settings.  I get a great 640x480 picture on my screen.  I then go and set this screen as my primary display, and then move the desktop only to the CRT.  My LCD then looses it screen as it should.  But then as soon as I unplug my LCD screen, windows makes a sound (the same sound when you unplug a flash drive) and the picture goes out on my crt.  I can plug the LCD back in and it comes back on (the crt comes back, the LCD still stays off).  I've tried resetting the pc at this point, but then when it reboots the CRT picture is out of whack and set for a HD resolution (not 1920x1080 but something along those lines).  I can then go and set it back to 640x480 and get my picture back, but then the cycle starts over again.

Hope this makes sense, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: CRT Emudriver turning off display??
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 10:37:37 pm »
You have installed the drivers, you just don't have your display configured the way you'd like. Sounds like a display detection issue, which means it's a windows problem.

I was having a similar issue a while back, and Calamity linked me to this - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143136.msg1484489.html#msg1484489

You used to be able to get windows to detect a display by adding a 75R termination to one of the colour lines of the VGA port (R,G,B). I think you still can. As in, a 75 Ohm resistor between the signal line and ground. Does the Audio Authority unit have a 75R termination? When you plug it in, does it come up in Windows, but without a name and just as a generic non-pnp monitor? If not, if you have to manually force detection, windows does not detect a display on that port and defaults to the other port as the primary once you unplug the LCD, or simply filters out the mode you're using as unsafe. First, I'd try things as normal but swap which monitor is plugged into which port. If that doesn't help, and you're not happy building something to terminate and stay in the line, you could try unplugging the Audio Authority and using a 75R resistor directly in the VGA port (make sure you get the right pins though!) then unplug the LCD like that, wait a second, then remove the resistor and plug the Audio Authority back in. Probably won't work either, but worth a shot.

If the Audio Authority comes up in windows with it's own name, not just as a generic non-pnp monitor, then it has it's own EDID. And that's a problem. You'd need to remove or blank that EDID, possibly ruining the unit, or, and this way works better than any of the above, simply use a 5000/6000/7000 series Radeon card instead, so you can take advantage of the EDID emulation they offer with crt_emudriver. That always works.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:51:32 pm by buttersoft »

Slider1385

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: CRT Emudriver turning off display??
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 01:03:24 pm »
Thanks buttersoft.

I actually had it working before, so I assumed it was a windows issue and not hardware based.  Over the weekend I bit the bullet and reformatted and did a fresh install of Windows.  Sure enough it fixed it and everything is behaving as it should.  I wish I could have figured what went wrong in case somebody else runs into this issue, I guess a reformat would be the way to go!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31